#121 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

I think he meant 550 anyway.  I wish I was camping in NC or somewhere.  It's friggin hot and humid down here.

I agree he probably meant to say 550. At least you're close enough to the ocean to get some breeze. Tallahassee just swelters in the summer.

#122 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Good point.  We're 6 miles from Deerfield beach.

If I'm jones'ing to get a recipe close to Moinette Dupont, I should get some 565 huh.  I intend on brewing a higher gravity saison this weekend and have the 550 slurry as mentioned.  But I'm on the fence about getting "the real mccoy."  Thoughts?

#123 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

I agree he probably meant to say 550. At least you're close enough to the ocean to get some breeze. Tallahassee just swelters in the summer.

he said 550 in his recipe post :) pretty sure you're correct

#124 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Good point.  We're 6 miles from Deerfield beach.

If I'm jones'ing to get a recipe close to Moinette Dupont, I should get some 565 huh.  I intend on brewing a higher gravity saison this weekend and have the 550 slurry as mentioned.  But I'm on the fence about getting "the real mccoy."  Thoughts?

I think 565 gives you the best flavors but that's pretty subjective. It will definitely get closer to Dupont.

#125 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

help me out here, can you guys name a few widely available commercial Saisons, I am remiss to say that it is a style I know hardly at all.  All I can think of are Ovila and Dupont 

#126 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

help me out here, can you guys name a few widely available commercial Saisons, I am remiss to say that it is a style I know hardly at all.  All I can think of are Ovila and Dupont 

Also Fantome and Hennepin (Ommegang).

#127 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Also Fantome and Hennepin (Ommegang).

those are both Ommegang? 

I have tried Dupont twice, and I can't say I was impressed with it either time, it seemed skunked both times

#128 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

I have tried Dupont twice, and I can't say I was impressed with it either time, it seemed skunked both times

My exact experience with it. Both were the large green bottles. Then I found it in a smaller brown bottle and it was delish.

#129 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

I had a pint of Harbinger from Six Point Brewery that I found fantastic.  Also really really digging Boulevard's Tank-7.  For one that is a little more earthy due to the addition of Lemongrass, try Hinterland's Saison.  That one is not for the timid in terms of funk.  Lastly in my favorite list is a super Saison by Dupont called Moinette.  I had a 750ml of that last night with a friend and all I want to do is try and clone it.......

IMHO, Dupont Saison always starts a little skunky.  Maybe it's the bottle as some say.  Maybe it's due to its origin and travel to get to us.  But I find that after it is opened and allowed to gas off a little, DS is a fantastic Saison.  A true to form template if you will.

#130 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

those are both Ommegang? 

Hennepin is from Ommegang. Fantôme is from Brasserie Fantôme.

#131 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

My exact experience with it. Both were the large green bottles. Then I found it in a smaller brown bottle and it was delish.

yes both were 750's 

#132 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

yes both were 750's 

Seek ye the small brown bottle. Salvation lies within.

#133 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

I did mean 550, and having just returned from the NC mountains where it rained incessantly and rendered the trout fishing impossible, TLH is in the 80s because here, like in NC, it is raining like a cow micturating on a flat rock.

#134 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

So my FG on this was 1.008. I racked over to secondary and added an ounce of Crystal. Will get it kegged by the weekend. The sample tasted really good! The yeast I used is interesting. The smell was very funky to me, nothing that I've ever smelled before. But it was definitely belgian like.

I did mean 550, and having just returned from the NC mountains where it rained incessantly and rendered the trout fishing impossible, TLH is in the 80s because here, like in NC, it is raining like a cow micturating on a flat rock.

I just got back from camping up in the NC mountains as well. Rained every day and didn't get a whole lot of fishing done either. BTW if your still interested in that Belle Saison yeast I have a packet I could send you, let me know.

#135 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

I racked over to secondary and added an ounce of Crystal.

Meth? Forgive me I am confused. What is this?

#136 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Meth? Forgive me I am confused. What is this?

Crystal is a US hybrid of the Noble Hallertauer hop family, also the name of my Dog

#137 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Crystal is a US hybrid of the Noble Hallertauer hop family, also the name of my Dog

I am an idiot. I was fixed on malt or some kind of clarifying agent. Couldn't figure how anyone would add crystal malt in secondary. Seems obvious now. A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

#138 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

I am an idiot. I was fixed on malt or some kind of clarifying agent. Couldn't figure how anyone would add crystal malt in secondary. Seems obvious now. A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

a former coworker said that alot :frank:

#139 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

So my FG on this was 1.008. I racked over to secondary and added an ounce of Crystal. Will get it kegged by the weekend. The sample tasted really good! The yeast I used is interesting. The smell was very funky to me, nothing that I've ever smelled before. But it was definitely belgian like.

I just got back from camping up in the NC mountains as well. Rained every day and didn't get a whole lot of fishing done either. BTW if your still interested in that Belle Saison yeast I have a packet I could send you, let me know.

I mail orederd some, but thanks for the offer.  Fortunately, I am too old for camping and was at the cabin with a copy of Harlot's Ghost watching it pour.  Herculean effort, but 1,200 pages of Norman Mailer is enough to give anyone cabin fever.

#140 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Tapped.

Very dry, complex, spicy, a little floral, firmly bitter but not too much and very refreshing. Really nice mouthfeel to it. Kinda cant believe I made this. This is going to be nice to have on tap for the second half of summer. Anyone else tap theirs yet? Impressions?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ingredients, recipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users