#41 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

I just kicked my first keg of this beer.  I only made the base Porter recipe (no vanilla/no bourbon).  My wife and I absolutely loved it and it will be the next batch I brew in a few weeks; just in time for the Holidays.  This go around I will be adding the vanilla and bourbon.

I thought about it but dismissed the idea of using anything other than 1450. 

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:24 PM

I know Denny swears by the 1450 for this one but maybe WLP007 for white labs or 1272 if you are lucky enough to have it on hand?

No 1272 either, all I have on hand is S-05,S-04,M-07,OYL-045,Windsor and Conan. I am pretty sure I did this beer with S-05 before but I may try the OYL-045 this time.

#43 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:30 PM

Funny,  I just finished my water profile for this one.  I used "Brown Malty" in Bru'n Water for my version with a pH of 5.4.  I need to figure out what I will do about the yeast, no local place caries wyeast and I really do not feel like just ordering yeast.

Order more stuff? There has got to be something you need. I just put in a order last night to Rebel. Got the yeast, some gypsum and other water related things, DME, some Brown malt I needed for this beer and some other small things I can't think of right now. There always seems to be something. And with $6.99 flat rate shipping it takes place of tax if I went local and I don't have to go anywhere. Not going to the local place is the key part here as I'm sure you know who owns that shop!

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:30 AM

Order more stuff? There has got to be something you need. I just put in a order last night to Rebel. Got the yeast, some gypsum and other water related things, DME, some Brown malt I needed for this beer and some other small things I can't think of right now. There always seems to be something. And with $6.99 flat rate shipping it takes place of tax if I went local and I don't have to go anywhere. Not going to the local place is the key part here as I'm sure you know who owns that shop!

Peer pressure got me.  I went and ordered the 1450, lets see if it works better for me this time.  I even went and got a bucket fermenter too.  13+ years of homebrewing and this will be the first time I use a bucket.  At one time I had 2 conicals and now I am going to buckets, I guess I do things different than most :D .

#45 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:38 AM

Denny, have you fiddled around with this to see where you like the mash/kettle pH to fall? Do you agree with the higher 5.4-5.6 mash pH for dark/roasty beers line of thinking? Any guidance WRT pH on this recipe?

Bump for Denny.

#46 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

Mashing now. Not sure what mash pH would be best but I'm at 5.2.

#47 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

My 1450 came in Saturday and I just ordered my beans today so looks like I need to get a starter going so I can brew this on Sunday.

#48 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:58 AM

My 1450 came in Saturday and I just ordered my beans today so looks like I need to get a starter going so I can brew this on Sunday.

Probably this weekend for me too. Not sure. Where did you order your beans from?

#49 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

Denny, have you fiddled around with this to see where you like the mash/kettle pH to fall? Do you agree with the higher 5.4-5.6 mash pH for dark/roasty beers line of thinking? Any guidance WRT pH on this recipe?

FYI, Denny answered this for me. He hasn't messed around with different pHs in this recipe but normally shoots for 5.4.

#50 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

FYI, Denny answered this for me. He hasn't messed around with different pHs in this recipe but normally shoots for 5.4.

Oops. I looked at my notes from last year and I was at 5.2 then too. It turned out great so not too worried. I ordered my beans from olivenation this year and last. Seem to be a good deal compared to other places. Not sure how they compare to other more expensive ones but they taste great to me.

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

Probably this weekend for me too. Not sure. Where did you order your beans from?

httpss://www.beanilla.com/vanilla/vanilla-beans

7 for 8.95 and free shipping

Right now my recipe is set for 5.34.  Not sure if I will tweak it up or not

#52 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:20 PM

Bump for Denny.

Damn...thought I replied earlier....I go for about 5.4-5.5

FWIW, the absolute best (but not the cheapest!) vanilla beans I've used came from hawaiianvanilla,com

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

FWIW, the absolute best (but not the cheapest!) vanilla beans I've used came from hawaiianvanilla,com

Bolded for the truth!!  I was going to get some Mexican or Tahiti beans to try but I will wait till next time for that.  Or possibly a RIS.

#54 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

Thank you Denny!

#55 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

httpss://www.beanilla.com/vanilla/vanilla-beans

7 for 8.95 and free shipping

Right now my recipe is set for 5.34. Not sure if I will tweak it up or not

Thanks. I actually found some after I asked you. We have had them for a good while but they are from penzeys and have been sealed up. Im guessing they will be good.

#56 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:08 AM

For you guys that have made this… can I have this tasting great by about 24 days? I know Denny has said he likes it best when fresh. Not sure if 24 days is too soon for flavors to come together though. I'm trying to have it ready for Thanksgiving weekend but I won't be able to brew it until this Saturday or (more likely) Sunday.

Edited by neddles, 29 October 2015 - 05:08 AM.

#57 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:10 AM

For you guys that have made this… can I have this tasting great by about 24 days? I know Denny has said he likes it best when fresh. Not sure if 24 days is too soon for flavors to come together though. I'm trying to have it ready for Thanksgiving weekend but I won't be able to brew it until this Saturday or (more likely) Sunday.

IMO, YES.  I think I had it ready to go in less time than that and served it at a public event and it was extremely well received. 

I also found some beans at my house last night sealed in the glass vial from when I got them at Costco.  I think I will use the fresh ones though.

#58 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:18 AM

Without my notes I think mine was complete in that timeframe but I did not add bourbon or vanilla. With that, the base recipe is killer as is. I do know that the beer evolved in the keg over time and the flavor (to me) kept getting richer and richer.

#59 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:18 AM

Yep, I made mine last Sunday and it appears it is all fermented out. Will take sample Sat to confirm and then add vanilla soon after. 3 weeks should be no problem.

#60 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

Thanks guys. Do you guys steep the vanilla and add the bourbon in the keg? How long are you typically steeping the vanilla and do you think the vanilla is best when subtle or stronger in this beer?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users