#41 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

I could get on board with this. Is there a recommended online source for the palm sugar? How about a proposed OG or are we leaving that up to the brewer too?In an effort to experience more yeasts I could see me splitting the batch between 3522 and 3724.

I have no idea where to get it online, I get mine at the local Oriental Market :blush:

#42 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Sumpin' like this?https://www.amazon.com/Wholesome-Sweeteners-Organic-Coconut-16-Ounce/dp/B007TGH4CK/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365732516&sr=8-2&keywords=palm+sugar

#43 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

yes, something like that

#44 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

I am thinking of using the wheat (I'm the guy that doesnt like rye :( ) and maybe orange blossom honey as the sugar. Not sure if that would complement or conflict with the saison character of the yeast.

#45 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

Oh and I was thinking around 1.060 OG. Big but not too big.

#46 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

I am thinking of using the wheat (I'm the guy that doesnt like rye :( ) and maybe orange blossom honey as the sugar. Not sure if that would complement or conflict with the saison character of the yeast.

I typically use honey instead of sugar, stirred in at flame out, without issue. With OB, especially if it has a big nose to it, you might catch a hint of it in the finished product, but it wouldn't be enough to upset any yeast/hop/malt balance.

#47 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

I think the OB honey would be nice and should compliment any citrusy contribution from the hops and/or citrus peel if you choose to use some.Which brings up a point. Spices. I usually don't add spices to my saisons, preferring instead to get the spiciness from the yeast. I know there are mixed opinions on that. This is purely optional but I'm thinking of adding some powdered ginger and powdered lemon peel to mine. The reason is that New Belgium gave me a bunch and I want to try it. So if you guys feel the need to spice it up with some citrus peel, coriander, grains of paradise, ginger or whatever, go for it.

#48 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

hmmmm sweet orange peel.

#49 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Which brings up a point. Spices. I usually don't add spices to my saisons, preferring instead to get the spiciness from the yeast. I know there are mixed opinions on that. This is purely optional but I'm thinking of adding some powdered ginger and powdered lemon peel to mine. The reason is that New Belgium gave me a bunch and I want to try it. So if you guys feel the need to spice it up with some citrus peel, coriander, grains of paradise, ginger or whatever, go for it.

Sitting here drinking a Victory Saison du BUFF, which is crafted with the subtlety of a broad axe, reminds me why I rarely use spices. The ginger on this one is tongue numbing. I think I'll let the yeast do its thing.

#50 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I should add that tomorrow I'm going to Saison Fest so if I get any good ideas from that I'll post them here for critique.

#51 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

well how was the fest?

#52 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

well how was the fest?

Frickin awesome. New brewery from Tulsa (Prairie) had some great stuff including one called 'Merica that was like an IPA crossed with a saison, Crooked Stave was great as usual, Paradox was good, nothing really sucked. Not sure anything I had would be applicable to the community brew. Most of it was wood aged, sour, both or featured some sort of oddball ingredient. I need to go back through the beer list and see if there was anything we might be able to steal.

#53 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Speaking of the community brew, are participants ready or are a couple of weeks needed to get together the essentials?

#54 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I was figuring on the first weekend in May for mine

#55 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

May here too.

#56 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

Sometime in May works for me. I don't have yeast right now but I think that's about all I lack. I'm not brewing at Big Brew this year but one of the next two weekends would probably work.

#57 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

May would work for me. I am sure I have the grain on hand just not any of the special ingredients.

#58 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

how well will this stand up in a bottle for 6 months?

#59 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

how well will this stand up in a bottle for 6 months?

Well, traditionally saisons were brewed in Spring for consumption at harvest time in the Fall, so six months would not be out of line. If you're shooting for a higher gravity "super saison" shouldn't be any worries at all.

#60 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Well, traditionally saisons were brewed in Spring for consumption at harvest time in the Fall, so six months would not be out of line. If you're shooting for a higher gravity "super saison" shouldn't be any worries at all.

I am hoping to enter it into a local fair in September, sounds like a plan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ingredients, recipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users