#21 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Are you talking about the more recent article, about the brewer in south carolina (i think)? He actually ended up going to NC for grains and worked with the maltsters there to get an interestingly modified 6-row malt since apparently 2-row doesn't do too well in NC climate. As for the yeast, he didn't get to cultivate, instead he re-used yeast from another brewery, apparently its something like a community yeast. Basically one brewer buys it, uses it, sells to another brewer, who uses it and they keep passing it down like that...at least that's how i remember reading it.

Since I haven't read it, I don't know what I'm talking about. :D I thought the guy was in GA.

Just checked out the article. It's in the March/April 2013 issue. Guy is from the ATL (vibes sent) and he outlines two procedures for capturing yeast. One uses malt extract and the other ripe fruit. This time of year I would guess that the first procedure would be best.

#22 SteveMillerTime

SteveMillerTime

Comptroller of Squirrel Nuts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Just checked out the article. It's in the March/April 2013 issue. Guy is from the ATL (vibes sent) and he outlines two procedures for capturing yeast. One uses malt extract and the other ripe fruit. This time of year I would guess that the first procedure would be best.

Interesting...i'll have to look at the archives and find it again...i think i slightly remember reading it now

#23 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Guy is from the ATL (vibes sent)

WTF? LOL!!

#24 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

WTF? LOL!!

Sorry didn't mean to leave you out. Vibes for you too. :)

#25 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

:rolf: :rolf:

#26 SteveMillerTime

SteveMillerTime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

welp...purchased some science equipment...this better make me a yeast god!I'm thinking i should make a shirt that says "stand back i'm going to try science" but instead of a lab, it'll be a brew sculpture :D

#27 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

welp...purchased some science equipment...this better make me a yeast god!I'm thinking i should make a shirt that says "stand back i'm going to try science" but instead of a lab, it'll be a brew sculpture :D

watch out for snitches thinking you're Breaking Bad

#28 SteveMillerTime

SteveMillerTime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

hahaha...Ya know...considering my house is on the corner and I brew in the backyard (no fence) and the road is fairly busy, I'm surprised no one's reported me as cooking on a still or something...maybe i should start dressing like a redneck and drink homebrew out of a budlight can.

#29 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

hahaha...Ya know...considering my house is on the corner and I brew in the backyard (no fence) and the road is fairly busy, I'm surprised no one's reported me as cooking on a still or something...maybe i should start dressing like a redneck and drink homebrew out of a mason jar.

FTFY

#30 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

FTFY

I resemble that FTFY :frank:

#31 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Remeber Lagerdemain getting reported to the cops by his neighbors? They thought he was cooking meth in his driveway.

#32 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

At the old house where you could see the brewing ops from the street, I got asked many times what I was up to. Never reported. Keeping neighbors clued in and free samples to anyone that wanted them was always a help.

#33 SteveMillerTime

SteveMillerTime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

FTFY

Funny thing is I just recently started using mason jars to collect a little pre-boiled wort for future use :D

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Remeber Lagerdemain getting reported to the cops by his neighbors? They thought he was cooking meth in his driveway.

that's what got me thinking of it

#35 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

This was done in a BrewingTV episode as Jeremy King was working on getting Wisconsin yeast for Lakefront's all WI beer - I think its called Wisconite.

#36 SteveMillerTime

SteveMillerTime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

This was done in a BrewingTV episode as Jeremy King was working on getting Wisconsin yeast for Lakefront's all WI beer - I think its called Wisconite.

awesome, i'll check it out, thanks...i've tried watching that show in the past, i feel like the hosts need to get a little better at hosting...other then that it seemed pretty informative...maybe i should try the new episodes.

#37 SteveMillerTime

SteveMillerTime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

damn i missed my chance to edit my last post...anyways:if anyone's curious it's Episode 42 - King's Coolship

#38 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Yes. Wisconsinite. Its a very tasty beer and I think that Lakefront understandably only distributes this one in-state.

#39 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

I made a wild yeast beer once, and it was pretty good. It was the "Really Old Style" ancient Sumerian beer recipe from BYO from like 2008 or something like that. Basically mashed up a few pounds of pitted dates -- I think they were from Turkey -- in a gallon of water, and let it sit for 3 or 4 days. Fermentation begins all on its own pretty fast. Then brew the rest of the beer, and pitch the date wine "yeast starter". No hops were used in this ancient recipe. The wild yeast threw off a lot of sulfur during fermentation, but the final beer had no sign of it and was quite crisp and clean. The final result was also sour, no doubt from a wild Lacto infection. No biggie. Scored in the 40s in competition. I didn't like it all that much, and I probably won't brew it again, but some of my friends who like sour beer loved it. It works.I highly recommend using mashed up fruit for your wild yeast source, rather than leaving a beer out in the open elements where it is almost certain to contract some really nasty molds and who knows what else.

#40 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

This is serendipitous. I had a friend that wanted to make a truly local beer, and I was helping him out with some things, and as I was reading this thread, it sounded very familiar to what he was doing.Since the author was from ATL, that was even more interesting. I looked it up, and it was my friend after all! Haha.I don't have a subscription, but the hops he used are from my backyard! He went through a number of iterations and had issues with getting a single good yeast to ferment with.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chemistry, fermenting, ingredients, science, yeast, youre welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users