#1 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:12 PM

A buddy of mine turned me on to the Norwegian Kveik yeast strains and I thought I'd give it a try. So I made a brown ale and used Omega OYL-057 Hothead Ale.

This stuff has a fermentation range of 72-98F. I decided to put the yeast through a moderate temp test and pitched at 80 degrees. Lowest it got was 74 degrees until I cold crashed it. It is billed as having "a unique honey-like aroma with overripe mango which is complementary to modern, fruity hops. Temperature control is unnecessary with this strain. Non-phenolic and no fusels, even at higher temperatures." With a range like that, I'll be brewing more in the summer months.

I didn't detect any fruitiness or honey like aromas, but that may be due to the darker grains and earthy hops. Defintely a clean fermenting yeast. And it is a beast. Within 24 hours of pitching, I went from 1.051 to 1.025. Didn't even use a starter. Beer turned out great!

Tossed the Tilt into the fermenter and set it to log every 4 hours. You can go as little as evey 15 mins or days at a time. It keeps track of Time, Temp and SG.

Below is a link to the data spreadsheet recorded by the Tilt.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Edited by StankDelicious, 09 September 2019 - 07:16 PM.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for sharing that.  The tilt looks cool and I considered one.  I think Drez has one but hasn't played with it yet. 

#3 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for sharing that. The tilt looks cool and I considered one. I think Drez has one but hasn't played with it yet.

These lil beauties will come in handy when figuring out the 1/3 sugar break during SNA mead schedules.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:26 AM

Thanks for sharing that. The tilt looks cool and I considered one. I think Drez has one but hasn't played with it yet.

Used my tilt in one batch so far. Had some issues but I think that was because of not calibrating it before using. Forgot to use it in the batch Sunday. Fun toy/tool tho.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:28 AM

The Kviek strains are better when you underpitch. A starter would be way too much yeast. I picked up some dried strain that I have to find time to use.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:46 AM

that's pretty cool!  it's too bad they didn't go with wifi so you could monitor it remotely.  a tie in with a temperature controller would be nice too.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:53 AM

that's pretty cool!  it's too bad they didn't go with wifi so you could monitor it remotely.  a tie in with a temperature controller would be nice too.

I built a Tilt pi so I can check it remotely.  I am sure if I had some spare time (HA HA HA) I could do some programming to have the temperature profile dependent on gravity.  But that is a long way away.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:18 AM

I built a Tilt pi so I can check it remotely.  I am sure if I had some spare time (HA HA HA) I could do some programming to have the temperature profile dependent on gravity.  But that is a long way away.

makes sense.  raspberry pi is such an awesome device.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:29 AM

They really are.  I need to spend more time playing with them and building things.   I should find some projects for my soon to be 10 year old to help me with. Good learning experience.

#10 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:17 AM

The Kviek strains are better when you underpitch. A starter would be way too much yeast. I picked up some dried strain that I have to find time to use.

HVB, did you get the strain dry, or was it dried by you or someone you know?

I've already talked on the board about how I don't care much for the Hornindal yeast, but I'm interested in the Hothead one. 

Stank, did the beer really ferment down from 1051 to 1018? Did you predict that kind of attenuation? If that's the yeast's normal attenuation, then I'm out. I usually prefer my beers drier. Also, thanks for sharing the info! I've liked Omega so far, I'm going to check if my LHBS has their Gulo in stock. Cheers!

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:29 AM

I've already talked on the board about how I don't care much for the Hornindal yeast, but I'm interested in the Hothead one. 

Stank, did the beer really ferment down from 1051 to 1018? Did you predict that kind of attenuation? If that's the yeast's normal attenuation, then I'm out. I usually prefer my beers drier. Also, thanks for sharing the info! I've liked Omega so far, I'm going to check if my LHBS has their Gulo in stock. Cheers!

I agree I would expect a lot more than 65% unless this beer had lots of unfermentable stuff in it.  I wonder if it would have kept cranking if the temp was maintained around 80F.

Edited by Zsasz, 10 September 2019 - 06:30 AM.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:31 AM

I bought it dry.  The strain was Stranda. 

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

Surprised at your low attenuation.  People on Milk the Funk have Horidal take beers down to 1.012 or lower in a very short time, less than 48 hours.

#14 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:40 AM

It seems that that would be similar to the Hothead strain?

And Zsasz, My experience was similar. If the yeast got colder, it would slow drastically. Then when you heat it it will start cranking again. It's one of the reasons I'm not super into it. 

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:44 AM

And Zsasz, My experience was similar. If the yeast got colder, it would slow drastically. Then when you heat it it will start cranking again. It's one of the reasons I'm not super into it. 

did you tell the yeast it's not you, it's me?

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:09 AM

From reading the Omega site it seems Hothead is stranda or from the same region.  I need to read up on drying the yeast before I use it so I can save/give some away.

#17 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

did you tell the yeast it's not you, it's me?

That's right, I told the yeast it was a turd as I flushed it down the drain!  :P

But seriously, I could see reasons why someone WOULD use it, the yeast just didn't fit in my brewery.

#18 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:40 AM

I didn't use a starter. Although, I may use one when I make Denny's BVIP.

I agree I would expect a lot more than 65% unless this beer had lots of unfermentable stuff in it.  I wonder if it would have kept cranking if the temp was maintained around 80F.

It actually got down to 1.017 but the Tilt is very sensitive. If you walk near it, the reading will change. So it popped back up to 1.018 when I ended the log. Also, the lack of attenuation was most likely my fault. I made some rookie mistakes on brew day. I wasn't paying attention and doughed in with 1 gallon less than I usually do, which shot up my mash temp to 155. I didn't realize my mistake until my first run off. So I'm thinking that had a lot to do with it. Still turned out damned tasty. So I'm happy with it.

I have an old tablet that I loaded the software onto. Just used that connected to wifi.

#19 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25598 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

I read somewhere that pi has the computing power of a pentium PC. Which is pretty awesome for that size and that price,

#20 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:45 AM

I read somewhere that pi has the computing power of a pentium PC. Which is pretty awesome for that size and that price,

Yea man. You can get the Pi 4 with 4 gigs of RAM. It also outputs two video connections.

That means that if you're cool using linux, you can actually run a pretty decent office computer off something just over the size of a credit card. Oh, and it puts out a 4K signal too! It's crazy how far computing has come and for such a ridiculous low price of about $50!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gadgets, yeast, fermenting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users