#161 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:37 AM

With that grain bill and that maltser I call that anything but generic.

Curious, can that conical heat too?

Also using Yakima Chief American noble Loral and Palisade.  Saflager 34/70 for yeast.

Yep, it heats as part of the "normal" conical.  Chiller is an add on.

Edited by denny, 04 March 2019 - 11:38 AM.

#162 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:38 AM

Yep, it heats as part of the "normal" conical.  Chiller is an add on.

got it .. thanks!

#163 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

I went to my LHBS today to get a couple small things and get two CO2 tanks filled.  On the way home I was struck by the idea of making some straight-down-the-middle pale ales.  Golden Promise, maybe some wheat, C40 or maybe CaraMunich 2, something clean to bitter like Nugget or Horizon, then a bunch of late, clean hops like Crystal, Styrian Goldings, Glacier, etc. and then all chewed up by 1056.  5%, 35-40 IBUs, SRM 7-8, that sort of thing.  It's in the plan.  

#164 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:37 AM

I went to my LHBS today to get a couple small things and get two CO2 tanks filled.  On the way home I was struck by the idea of making some straight-down-the-middle pale ales.  Golden Promise, maybe some wheat, C40 or maybe CaraMunich 2, something clean to bitter like Nugget or Horizon, then a bunch of late, clean hops like Crystal, Styrian Goldings, Glacier, etc. and then all chewed up by 1056.  5%, 35-40 IBUs, SRM 7-8, that sort of thing.  It's in the plan.  

This is exactly where my head is at.  However my next up is going to showcase some new to me hops; El Dorado and 007.  Following a "drezz" hopping schedule and 05 and 04 to chew.  From there I'm going more tame pale ales.  It's gonna be hot soon.

#165 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:39 AM

This is exactly where my head is at.  However my next up is going to showcase some new to me hops; El Dorado and 007.  Following a "drezz" hopping schedule and 05 and 04 to chew.  From there I'm going more tame pale ales.  It's gonna be hot soon.

I have some El Dorado too and it had crossed my mind to use them.  They are great and you will like them.  They play well with other hops too if that's in your plan.  Funny you mention the weather because it might be smart for me to do this earlier rather than later... the beers could be consumed when there is still some chill in the air.  Although, the pale ales I described could easily be summer beers too.  Cheers Amigo.

#166 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:51 AM

I thought that hop schedule was tame ;)

#167 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

We can't ALL be Drez you know. :lol:

#168 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

Yes, tame, all 8'ish ounces of it my friend.  Reminder that, that particular Pale Ale won me an award :)  That was Pacific Jade and Mosaic.  With the same basic malt bill I'm going to do the 007 and El Dorado.

#169 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

Yes, tame, all 8'ish ounces of it my friend.  Reminder that, that particular Pale Ale won me an award :)  That was Pacific Jade and Mosaic.  With the same basic malt bill I'm going to do the 007 and El Dorado.

I did not know, or remember, it won you something... Congrats!!

I have never used 007 but El Do goes well with Citra and Mosaic.

#170 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

I did not know, or remember, it won you something... Congrats!!

I have never used 007 but El Do goes well with Citra and Mosaic.

Hmmmmmmmm.................  all on hand and dying of boredom

#171 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

Hmmmmmmmm.................  all on hand and dying of boredom

This one is simcoe and a wonderful beer but I have done this with citra in place or simcoe and it is equally good.

39272641285_33f3f201d7_c.jpg

#172 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:54 AM

That's a beautiful recipe and oddly enough my current build has a pound of oats.  Who says I don't like the style :)

I've heard mixed feelings about no bittering addition, that it can get grassy.  Thoughs?

#173 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

That's a beautiful recipe and oddly enough my current build has a pound of oats.  Who says I don't like the style :)

I've heard mixed feelings about no bittering addition, that it can get grassy.  Thoughs?

I have not had any issues with the no bittering addition.  I think it can be hop variety dependent but with this recipe it was all good.

#174 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

Per your earlier advice I have a pinch of Mosaic for 15 IBU's.  

#175 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

Per your earlier advice I have a pinch of Mosaic for 15 IBU's.  

Works as well.  This gives a different final product, very smooth and hoppy.  Depends on what i am looking for in the final product. Of course these days I like a nice old school 45 IBU hit!

#176 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:07 AM

Yesterday's planned brewday got bumped to next week.  Damned home repairs.

Since next week should be warmer (high's in the low 50's? Yes, please!), I'm looking at back-to-back brewdays.

Dortmunder and probably a freezer-cleanout type of IPA.

#177 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:38 AM

got a brew brew planned for Sunday with a few guys with the club. the theme is IPA, apparently. A NEIPA, West coast and a classic two row/caramel 60/ cascade to be brewed. Kind of a last ha-rah for my little click in the club; we're the youngest in the club- one buddy is getting ready to have his first child, another is moving a couple hours south. It'll be fun, but bittersweet. 

#178 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

Measured out grains and filtered water this morning for a brewday tomorrow.... APA.  I plan to use this 1056 for four batches total:  APA, AAA, MLPA and my Flat Earth Dark & Hoppy wheat beer with Citra.  Then I'll move onto some 2124 beers when the time comes.  

#179 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

Measured out grains and filtered water this morning for a brewday tomorrow.... APA.  I plan to use this 1056 for four batches total:  APA, AAA, MLPA and my Flat Earth Dark & Hoppy wheat beer with Citra.  Then I'll move onto some 2124 beers when the time comes.  

I don't recall if I posted about it before, but I had the MLPA on tap for my camping trip a few weeks ago. I remember why I've brewed this beer so much. It was really good. The only change I made from the original recipe was british C-60 rather than american. Has a slightly less candy sweet caramel flavor. I really enjoyed it and so did everyone else. I'll have to put it back in rotation so I can enjoy it a little more. Such a simple but delicious beer. Cheers!

#180 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

I don't recall if I posted about it before, but I had the MLPA on tap for my camping trip a few weeks ago. I remember why I've brewed this beer so much. It was really good. The only change I made from the original recipe was british C-60 rather than american. Has a slightly less candy sweet caramel flavor. I really enjoyed it and so did everyone else. I'll have to put it back in rotation so I can enjoy it a little more. Such a simple but delicious beer. Cheers!

Great to hear. Maybe for this next batch I should go back to the original recipe. :scratch:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users