683 replies to this topic

#181 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53998 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:54 AM

I don't recall if I posted about it before, but I had the MLPA on tap for my camping trip a few weeks ago. I remember why I've brewed this beer so much. It was really good. The only change I made from the original recipe was british C-60 rather than american. Has a slightly less candy sweet caramel flavor. I really enjoyed it and so did everyone else. I'll have to put it back in rotation so I can enjoy it a little more. Such a simple but delicious beer. Cheers!

I was noodling with this last night.  Back when I brewed this beer very regularly, I was probably not making any mods to my water.  My source water has 21ppm chloride and 27ppm sulfate which would benefit a recipe like MLPA that is light on hops.  The higher sulfate would help make the beer a little crisper as opposed to making it maltier and pushing it too far in that direction.  I'm often in the habit of adding more chloride than sulfate and I may have done that on later batches of MLPA.... possibly leading to my adjustment of the recipe.  In the old days the sulfate would represent 56% of the chloride+sulfate in the recipe but I consider the calcium to be a little low still (34ppm).  So by adding a gram of each I can get the calcium up into the 50s and keep the sulfate percentage in the same ballpark.  I'm going to make it soon (not my next batch but the batch after that) and I'm going back to the original recipe and using this water profile to see how it comes out.  Thx for mentioning it Rich.  

#182 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

I brewed a Porter Sunday  (licorice stick boiled in water and added at 5 minutes mark)..The last one was awesome. Tomorrow, i am brewing a two-hearted ipa ..

I learned recently , that Calcium Chloride works best in the mash but not in the staged water( i was trying to prep the night before). Per my understanding of the what i read in the stouts profile book. My water profile is pretty hard.

#183 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

I brewed a Porter Sunday  (licorice stick boiled in water and added at 5 minutes mark)..The last one was awesome. Tomorrow, i am brewing a two-hearted ipa ..

I learned recently , that Calcium Chloride works best in the mash but not in the staged water( i was trying to prep the night before). Per my understanding of the what i read in the stouts profile book. My water profile is pretty hard.

FWIW, I have no problems with CaCl2 in the water rather than the mash.

#184 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

Brewing a Porter this weekend. after the last few brewing sessions of cream ales, Double IPA's and NEIPA's, time for something dark and malty. 

#185 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

Mashing another helles.   Nothing fancy.   95/5 pils/carahell   23 IBU's.      Pitching a different yeast in each of 2 carboys for grins.  

#186 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53998 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

Mashing another helles.   Nothing fancy.   95/5 pils/carahell   23 IBU's.      Pitching a different yeast in each of 2 carboys for grins.  

Yum.  Which 2 yeasts?

#187 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

Mashing another helles. Nothing fancy. 95/5 pils/carahell 23 IBU's. Pitching a different yeast in each of 2 carboys for grins.

Drinking a Schlenkerla Helles right now and it makes me want to do something like 95/4/1 with the 1% being smoke malt.

#188 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

Brewed an APA yesterday...craft malts from Root Shoot in CO and Skagit in WA, Veteran's Blend hops from Yakima Chief, and WY1450 (of course!)

#189 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

Yum.  Which 2 yeasts?

2206 and 2352.   Dregs from a kellerbier I did a couple of weeks ago.   Critiques to follow...    :P

#190 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53998 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

2206 and 2352.   Dregs from a kellerbier I did a couple of weeks ago.   Critiques to follow...    :P

Nice.  MLPA for me tomorrow.  Rahr Pale Ale malt, some C60, wheat, Mt. Hood hops and fresh 1056 taken from a pale ale last night.  5%, 25 IBUs, 10 SRM.  

#191 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:36 PM

Sounds like a tasty guzzler.

#192 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:06 AM

Simple Mosaic IPA today.  13.5# two row, .5 Acid malt and 10 ounces or Mosaic.  S-05 or a blend of S-05 and S-04 will do the work but that will be a game-time decision.

#193 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:31 AM

Dortmunder yesterday; Burning River Ale clone tomorrow.

#194 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

Mis en place underway for a Saturday Pale Ale; Vienna, pinch of Munich, C40 and Flaked Oats.  Bittered with Sterling, finished with Crystal and Hallertau Blanc.  Combo 05 and 04 to chew.

#195 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:05 AM

Mis en place underway for a Saturday Pale Ale; Vienna, pinch of Munich, C40 and Flaked Oats.  Bittered with Sterling, finished with Crystal and Hallertau Blanc.  Combo 05 and 04 to chew.

Nice yeast choice!!

#196 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:08 AM

Nice yeast choice!!

It was another good suggestion from a Brew Brother :)

#197 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:27 AM

It was another good suggestion from a Brew Brother :)

Wicked Smaht guy!!

​Plans changed so it looks like Sunday has opened up and I am planning to do a Helles ( well my version of a helles) with WLP835X.

#198 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53998 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

Blonde Ale w/Loral coming up on Friday:

14v5ue0.jpg

The pale ale malt will be a combination of Rahr Pale Ale (about 2.5 pounds left) and the rest will be Golden Promise.  The pilsner will be this Briess Pilsen malt that I have... seems like a good application for it.  The CaraHell is actually Swaen's version called SWAEN GOLD HELL.  1056 on the yeast.  

#199 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

^^ I like the descriptors of the Loral's.  Sorta what I was thinking with the Hall Blanc and Crystal.  Seeking floral and very interested on the "blanc" in the Hall Blanc.

#200 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16634 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:30 PM

I am less familiar with Crystal, but I am willing to bet that Blanc and Sterling would be a wicked tasty combo if used late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users