#221 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

^^ I've used 565 quite a bit and never encountered the stall.  Then again I pitch at 60 and let it free rise to completion inside the house with ambient temp ~ 76 F.  It's a very forgiving yeast and wonderful to taste.  I'd might consider a free rise with no incremental stops.

#222 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

Brewing tomorrow.  Run #6 of a very clean and well-performing blob of 1056.  An APA with Golden Promise, Briess Pilsen, CaraMunich and then Horizon to bitter, Crystal hops, Willamette and then two ounces of Cascade dropped into the kettle at flameout and allowed to steep for 15-20 minutes.  Then the 1056 will be retired... but I said that 2 batches ago.  :P  Cheers brewing brothers. 

#223 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

Ug. I need to brew. Ferm fridge is busted. Needs coil cleaning and possible recharge.

#224 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:05 AM

Kegged up a 80/20 Pils, Munich yesterday that got eaten by a combo of 34/70 &  S189.  In two weeks that cake is going to make an American Pilsner with a generous helping of flaked corn.

#225 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:24 AM

Kegged up a 80/20 Pils, Munich yesterday that got eaten by a combo of 34/70 &  S189.  In two weeks that cake is going to make an American Pilsner with a generous helping of flaked corn.

Sounds nice... both of them.

I am going to take a short break once I retire this 1056 and when I fire it back up again it will be with 2124.  I'm looking forward to making some nice gold lagers with Barke Pils... a helles, a pilsner of sorts, maybe an American lager with a smidge of corn.  I went ale-happy with this 1056 so it's time to brew some lagers that will be ready for the summer.  Cheers & good luck with your beers, Brother Poptop.

#226 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:29 AM

finally brewed for first time in about 9 months on Saturday... 9 lbs of pils with 1/2-lb carahell; all I had on hand was EKG to about 26 IBU

#227 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:09 AM

Sounds nice... both of them.

I am going to take a short break once I retire this 1056 and when I fire it back up again it will be with 2124.  I'm looking forward to making some nice gold lagers with Barke Pils... a helles, a pilsner of sorts, maybe an American lager with a smidge of corn.  I went ale-happy with this 1056 so it's time to brew some lagers that will be ready for the summer.  Cheers & good luck with your beers, Brother Poptop.

Sounds like a summer time plan.  I'm listening to a BeerandBrewing podcast and Jack's Abbey Lager House is the guest and I'm inspired to lager it up in the coming batches.  I just grabbed a WLP 940 for this occasion and also Wyeast 1728 for some nice golden ales.  Summer time beer must be made as I don't plan to Brew and die July / August this year.

#228 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:17 AM

Sounds like a summer time plan.  I'm listening to a BeerandBrewing podcast and Jack's Abbey Lager House is the guest and I'm inspired to lager it up in the coming batches.  I just grabbed a WLP 940 for this occasion and also Wyeast 1728 for some nice golden ales.  Summer time beer must be made as I don't plan to Brew and die July / August this year.

That was a great episode.  House Lager is one of my mainstays, JA does some really great beers.

#229 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:05 AM

finally brewed for first time in about 9 months on Saturday... 9 lbs of pils with 1/2-lb carahell; all I had on hand was EKG to about 26 IBU

Honestly that will probably be delicious. What yeast?

#230 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

I was thinking that I needed to get some 940 soon.  I have 2124 and also 2278 and more 2782.  I also want to brew with Omega Bayern again so... THAT'S A LOT OF BEER!  :lol:

#231 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

That was a great episode.  House Lager is one of my mainstays, JA does some really great beers.

Yes, great episode.  We get some JA's down here from time to time.  I'll have to keep on the look out.

I was thinking that I needed to get some 940 soon.  I have 2124 and also 2278 and more 2782.  I also want to brew with Omega Bayern again so... THAT'S A LOT OF BEER!  :lol:

Hoping 940 is good overall.  I didn't grab it to necessarily make Mexican Lager but that's also not out of the question.

#232 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

Yes, great episode.  We get some JA's down here from time to time.  I'll have to keep on the look out.

Hoping 940 is good overall.  I didn't grab it to necessarily make Mexican Lager but that's also not out of the question.

When Victoria was not available in the US yet, I ordered up some 940 (a platinum strain in those days) and made my version of Victoria.  I was close on the recipe but I could tell that the yeast was right because it has a distinct character.  940 makes great beers, whatever the style.  I think I told this story but I was out cleaning up the garage one day and had some boxes of beer in my hand.  One of the corners of a box must have gotten wet and a bottle of Victoria fell out and broke all over the garage floor... WHAT A GREAT SMELL!  :D

#233 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

^^ it was because of your Victoria post that I grabbed a 6 to try.  Pretty solid golden yellow lager.

#234 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

Pilsner on deck for Wednesday.

Mostly pils, plus some C-10 and wheat, to an OG of ~1.060 and ~6 SRM. 

Magnum to bitter, with Hallertau and Liberty for flavor/aroma additions, for ~45 IBUs total.

34/70 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

#235 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

Honestly that will probably be delicious. What yeast?

I used the only yeast I had available: S-04. It's been chugging away nicely.

#236 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

I used the only yeast I had available: S-04. It's been chugging away nicely.

Good choice. I see this being a nice drinker.

#237 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:46 AM

Good choice. I see this being a nice drinker.

Good to hear. I've never used S-04 before and was a little worried as I just kind of threw this all together last minute... so fingers-crossed!

#238 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

The Ferm chamber is full of beer from Big Brew on Saturday. I needed to brew a bunch for an event in June - Pints4Paws Annapolis: https://www.eventbri...ets-57470233014

Made 5 gallons of extract wheat, half of which will get Costco berry blend (for P4P) the other half is straight up for wheat beer competitions (extract is too expensive)

Parti-gyle SMASH Double IPA/Hoppy Dark Mild.

5 gallon batch 24# Bries 2 Row and all Columbus hoo (3oz bittering, 3oz mid boil, 6oz flame out, 3oz to be dry hopped)

Capped seconds "West Coast Mild" with Munich, 60L, Special B, Black Prinz and some leftover wort from wheat beer. I hopped with Apollo bittering, Willamete mid boil, Columbus and left over EKG flame out.

#239 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:06 AM

^^^  busy boy.  Well done

#240 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:26 AM

Ordered some 833 yesterday. Hopefully Brew a week from today. Helles and then maibock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users