683 replies to this topic

#261 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54026 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

Do you use it exclusively for the Cabana or have you used it otherwise?

What do you like about it so much?

Check out the recipe section on my site.  I use it for a pale, an 'amber' and a dark so kind of like Pacifico or Modelo, then Victoria and then Negra Modelo... sort of.  The 940 has a very distinct character to it and if you remember I went to Acapulco on my honeymoon and then again 10 years later for an anniversary and at that time Victoria was not available here.  I really liked the beer and when I first got my hands on 940 and attempted a beer with it, it brought me right back to that beachside cantina where I first had it.  I get that feeling every time I open a bottle of Victoria and I have some in the fridge right now.  Good stuff.  

#262 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

Hoping to head out soon to pick up yeast for a brew tomorrow.

The HB Club is doing a same grain/same hop competition next month:

Rules: - Must use the exact grain & hop bill

- Smoking or roasting of grain is not permitted

- No other adjuncts can be added

- Any yeast can be used

- Ingredients can be scaled up or down, but ratio of water/grain/hops must remain the same

- Brewer has freedom in the process 
(mash temp, hopping schedule, water profile etc...)

All-grain ingredients (5 gallons)
5 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (1.8 SRM) 45.50%
5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 45.50%
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) 4.50%
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.3 SRM) 4.50%

1.00 oz Azacca [15.00 %]
2.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %]

Have all the ingredients except yeast. Doing a double batch so probably pick up some more hops to dry hop.

#263 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

Check out the recipe section on my site.  I use it for a pale, an 'amber' and a dark so kind of like Pacifico or Modelo, then Victoria and then Negra Modelo... sort of.  The 940 has a very distinct character to it and if you remember I went to Acapulco on my honeymoon and then again 10 years later for an anniversary and at that time Victoria was not available here.  I really liked the beer and when I first got my hands on 940 and attempted a beer with it, it brought me right back to that beachside cantina where I first had it.  I get that feeling every time I open a bottle of Victoria and I have some in the fridge right now.  Good stuff.  

Women don't get spoken of as passionately man.  You are a true beer nerd.  Love it.

#264 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54026 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:34 AM

Guys, don't tell anyone but I'm making beer at home today.  Pretty sure I'll put my eye out or get arrested.  So... if you don't hear from me for awhile... :P

#265 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:28 AM

^^^ how did your not making beer go?

#266 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54026 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

^^^ how did your not making beer go?

I don't know what you're talking about. ;) Let's just say this... I see bubbles. :lol:

#267 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

I don't know what you're talking about. ;) Let's just say this... I see bubbles. :lol:

Glad to hear it.  I'm happy to say I had much success with my American Pils.  I oxygenated the slurry big time and it came around within 24 hours and is gently rocking at 45 F.  I'm excited for this one.

#268 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54026 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:16 AM

Glad to hear it.  I'm happy to say I had much success with my American Pils.  I oxygenated the slurry big time and it came around within 24 hours and is gently rocking at 45 F.  I'm excited for this one.

That sounds nice.  I'm pulling lager recipes out of my recipe folder for this 2124.  Helles was first and there will be some other 'gold lagers' as well.  I'm also revising my recipe for Live Oak Big Bark which is an excellent amber lager brewed in Austin.  It's a sort of Vienna Lager that is more amber than dark.  The revised recipe looks good.  Cheers.

#269 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:22 AM

That sounds nice.  I'm pulling lager recipes out of my recipe folder for this 2124.  Helles was first and there will be some other 'gold lagers' as well.  I'm also revising my recipe for Live Oak Big Bark which is an excellent amber lager brewed in Austin.  It's a sort of Vienna Lager that is more amber than dark.  The revised recipe looks good.  Cheers.

Did you ever try to e-mail Live Oak and ask about that recipe?

#270 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54026 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

Did you ever try to e-mail Live Oak and ask about that recipe?

On their site they have a phone number.   :huh:   No email address.  There is FB link but I didn't want to ask about it via FB.  On their BEER page they mention that the beer is a Vienna Lager and uses Munich, Vienna and Pils and noble hops.  It's also 4.9% and 25 IBUs and I know the color just from drinking it (maybe SRM 10 or so).  That's a good amount of information.  I made a version with 50/50 Munich 2 and Pils and it was good but a little more pale than the real thing.  I also used 2782 which is NOT the right yeast but honestly, I don't know what the right yeast is.  I'm going to try it like this...
Big-Bark-2019.jpg
The CaraMunich is unconventional but with my beers coming out more pale, I need a weapon here.  :P  Also, there is NO hint of roastiness in this beer (like Carafa).  I know some people don't get 'roast' from Carafa but whatever you want to call the character you get from carafa (dark fruit, roast, etc), I do not get it in this beer... it seems more caramelly than roasty.  

#271 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

I found some e-mail address on their site and sent off an e-mail.  I am not holding my breath but who knows!

#272 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54026 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:52 AM

I found some e-mail address on their site and sent off an e-mail.  I am not holding my breath but who knows!

Ooh, nice work.  I didn't see any and I wasn't about to call.  Let me know what you find out... if anything.  

#273 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

Just finished up making a starter of WLP565- the DuPont strain. I've been brewing for a decade, and never made a Saison- using the recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles" as a reference. going to mash low at 145, start at 68* for a couple days, and ramp up to 80*, 5 degrees every 12 hours, and brewing with a topless fermentor (well, covered with cheese cloth.) 

excited to give this a go- earlier in my brewing, never had much love for Saison or Belgium beers in general- Now, I do enjoy them from time to time; a well made, bone dry Saison in the high of summer is a great time. 

hoping this method will avoid the "DuPont stall". 

The "DuPont stall" is a term used outside my brewing; as I'm employed by a company with the same name sake. 

We proved pretty conclusively on EB that the stall can be avoided by open fermentation.  May be the most impressive results we've ever gotten.  https://www.experime...under-pressure and  https://www.experime...-under-pressure .

#274 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Ooh, nice work.  I didn't see any and I wasn't about to call.  Let me know what you find out... if anything.  

That was a fast turn around!  Really simple recipe, I do not have much Mittelfruh so Hallertau will have to do.

Nothing complicated, step-mashed with ~65% Vienna and ~35% Munich, from Best Malz. Bitter and knockout of German Mittelfruh hops. Most importantly, fermented at 48ºF with healthy German lager yeast 3470, lagered 6 weeks at least. 

Dusan 

Head Brewer 
Live Oak Brewing Co.

#275 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54026 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

Hey, that's awesome.  I was going on this:

bigbark.png

It says pilsner malt there.  I could see Hallertau to bitter and then an ounce at flameout and just use the grist he mentions.  I'm currently using 2124 so that part works since it's the liquid version of 34/70.  Thanks Drez.

#276 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

Hey, that's awesome.  I was going on this:

bigbark.png

It says pilsner malt there.  I could see Hallertau to bitter and then an ounce at flameout and just use the grist he mentions.  I'm currently using 2124 so that part works since it's the liquid version of 34/70.  Thanks Drez.

I can see pilsner working in a beer like this too.  I wonder if they modified the recipe over time and never updated the website?  This seems like a beer I would really enjoy, going to have to give it a go.

#277 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

making the maibock I posted in the recipe section later this week.  I'll continue to tap into the copious amounts of hallertau I have from Drez ;)

#278 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

making the maibock I posted in the recipe section later this week.  I'll continue to tap into the copious amounts of hallertau I have from Drez ;)

Best hop deal ever!!

#279 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

Best hop deal ever!!

especially for me.  

#280 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54026 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:21 PM

I can see pilsner working in a beer like this too.  I wonder if they modified the recipe over time and never updated the website?  This seems like a beer I would really enjoy, going to have to give it a go.

Tell me specifically how you would get the 25 IBUs of Hallertau based on his description (bitter and knockout).  The knockout is contributing ZERO IBUs so... 25 IBUs of Hallertau for 30 minutes and then an ounce at flameout?  So I did a 50/50 pils/Munich 2 last time and the color was too pale.  I wonder if I should do a 50/50 Vienna/Munich 2 to try to mimic the original beer better.  The color and clarity are excellent on the commercial example.  I would not have guessed that the yeast was 2124/3470 but I suppose if it lagered for six weeks that the character might fade a bit.  

zz-big-bark.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users