#281 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:52 PM

Tell me specifically how you would get the 25 IBUs of Hallertau based on his description (bitter and knockout).  The knockout is contributing ZERO IBUs so... 25 IBUs of Hallertau for 30 minutes and then an ounce at flameout?  So I did a 50/50 pils/Munich 2 last time and the color was too pale.  I wonder if I should do a 50/50 Vienna/Munich 2 to try to mimic the original beer better.  The color and clarity are excellent on the commercial example.  I would not have guessed that the yeast was 2124/3470 but I suppose if it lagered for six weeks that the character might fade a bit.  

zz-big-bark.jpg

An unsolicited opinion:

20 IBU's Hallertau for 30 min, 5 IBU's Hallertau for 10 min, and then 1 oz Hallertau at flameout.

#282 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

An unsolicited opinion:

20 IBU's Hallertau for 30 min, 5 IBU's Hallertau for 10 min, and then 1 oz Hallertau at flameout.

On one hand, this is not a hoppy beer.  It's very malty and the hops are pretty restrained.  But OTOH, there is a ton of malty grain in this beer and more hops would be required to offset the malt.  Your approach seems reasonable but I don't want to stray too far from the original recipe.  Although... I could brew it and adjust going forward.  

#283 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:56 AM

On one hand, this is not a hoppy beer.  It's very malty and the hops are pretty restrained.  But OTOH, there is a ton of malty grain in this beer and more hops would be required to offset the malt.  Your approach seems reasonable but I don't want to stray too far from the original recipe.  Although... I could brew it and adjust going forward.  

I see an exciting exbeeriment here.  After my Amer Pils drops out, maybe a 50/50 Munich/Pils is the ticket.  A dash of Midnight wheat for color adjustment and get to 25 IBU with the Nobles.  I'll have a ripe cake of S189-34/70 ready to go.  

PS, that's a damn good looking beer.

#284 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:12 AM

Sophie's choice, mang.  :D

#285 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:23 AM

An unsolicited opinion:

I am thinking something similar.  I did a beer that was 45% Pils, 50% Munich and I think the rest was carafoam.  Had 42g of Hallertau at 30.  For this one I may go and do a 60 minute boil and use a bit less at 60 and then hit it with a 5 or 0 minute addition.

Photo of Pils/Munich beer

17201402_10156106861754657_8947968080826

#286 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:46 AM

Two more cents worth:  when I use noble hops like Hallertau for small late additions, they don't come across to me as "hoppy" but much more subtle.  In some cases, I'd only know it's there b/c I brewed that beer.

But, doing this with American hops like the "C" hops, or Mosaic, etc, the hop character would almost certainly be more noticeable.

#287 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

Two more cents worth:  when I use noble hops like Hallertau for small late additions, they don't come across to me as "hoppy" but much more subtle.  In some cases, I'd only know it's there b/c I brewed that beer.

But, doing this with American hops like the "C" hops, or Mosaic, etc, the hop character would almost certainly be more noticeable.

100% agree!

#288 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:49 AM

I will noodle with it.  This beer has no real late-hop bite to it.  I also hear B2000 on the late nobles and I'm also envisioning the beer lagering for 4-6 weeks... those late hops will mellow.  I haven't had the beer in awhile.  Occasionally my son will go over to my daughter's place and they will make dinner together.  They'll FaceTime us and hold up cans of Big Bark (that I probably bought! :P) and I'm jealous.  I will retool the recipe, take notes on it and adjust based on what I see.  Drez... nice work getting the recipe from the brewer.  Thanks.

#289 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:00 AM

I will noodle with it.  This beer has no real late-hop bite to it.  I also hear B2000 on the late nobles and I'm also envisioning the beer lagering for 4-6 weeks... those late hops will mellow.  I haven't had the beer in awhile.  Occasionally my son will go over to my daughter's place and they will make dinner together.  They'll FaceTime us and hold up cans of Big Bark (that I probably bought! :P) and I'm jealous.  I will retool the recipe, take notes on it and adjust based on what I see.  Drez... nice work getting the recipe from the brewer.  Thanks.

No worries.  Just took a shot in the dark and it worked out!

#290 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

Btw, I have some Swaen Dark Munich with a lovibond rating of 8.  I also have some Avangard Dark Munich with a lovibond rating of 15.   :huh:   I don't think I've ever noticed that.  Is it weird for a German maltster to have a dark munich at 15°L?  I have used both of these malts in the past and they have both made good beer.  

#291 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

I always think of Munich as 6 and Dark Munich as 10

#292 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:56 AM

I always think of Munich as 6 and Dark Munich as 10

Agreed.  I have seen Munich Light at 6-8 and Munich Dark at 8-10 or so.  But the difference between 8 and 15 could really have an impact on your beer's final color especially if you used a high percentage of it.  

Okay, I retooled the recipe with some things in place for my own system, color, etc.

Big-Bark-3.jpg

#293 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:31 PM

Sneaking in a workday brewday tomorrow, an American IPA.

My standard IPA grist, (mostly Pils, with some Munich, and bit of C-30 and wheat) to an OG of ~1.070 and ~10 SRM for 5.5 gal in the primary.

Bittering with Magnum (whole), FWH with Amarillo (whole), and some late additions with the fresh Columbus pellets I got form YVH last week, to ~100 IBU's.

US-05 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

Hoping to clear the head with a brewday and some grilled wings before the weather turns crappy on Wednesday.

#294 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:04 PM

Sounds nice B.

I'm going to brew late Friday afternoon. An American Lager with 2124, Barke Pils, Vienna, Flaked corn and Hallertau hops.

#295 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:15 AM

Sounds nice B.

I'm going to brew late Friday afternoon. An American Lager with 2124, Barke Pils, Vienna, Flaked corn and Hallertau hops.

Sounds nice.  How much corn are you using?  I just pulled a sample of my American Pils this morning and will check gravity later today.  But I took a wee taste and the sweet corn was pronounced.  I'm excited for this batch.

#296 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

Sounds nice.  How much corn are you using?  I just pulled a sample of my American Pils this morning and will check gravity later today.  But I took a wee taste and the sweet corn was pronounced.  I'm excited for this batch.

Only about 10%.  I use just enough to slightly lighten the body and color but not enough for it to be really pronounced.

I was hanging at an outdoor beer garden in Decatur, GA a couple weekends ago.  I ordered a Pilsner Urquell (that was excellent) and at some point my BIL sat down next to me and asked me what I was drinking.  I told him and told him the story about it being the "Original Pilsner" and he took a sip and said, "OMG, that is MUCH better than what I'm drinking!" and he asked me to take a sip of his.  It was draft Miller High Life.  It was sooooooooooo sweet compared to the Pilsner Urquell.  10 minutes later he came back with a Pilsner Urquell.  :D

#297 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

Brewing Rye IPA tomorrow.  German pils fermenting away in the GF conical.

Edited by denny, 05 June 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#298 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:05 PM

Sent my helles to the keg yesterday and harvested the 2124.  Got the keg cold and gave it some gel solution this morning and started carbing it.  Everything with that batch looks and smells lovely.  Water is filtered and grains are measured out for a Friday afternoon (into early evening) brewday of my American lager.  

#299 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

^^ excited to hear about the American.  I am set to keg mine on Sunday.  I have high hopes for this one, even it will take some tweaking with the flaked maize amount.

#300 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

Good luck with it. I'm already drinking beer, brewing and watching the Cubs beating the Cardinals. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users