#201 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:29 AM

I am less familiar with Crystal, but I am willing to bet that Blanc and Sterling would be a wicked tasty combo if used late.

All are gonna have a little fun in the whirlpool :)

Crystal is a favorite of mine for it's mellow mild floral and earthy character.  You can make it present or keep it in the background.  

#202 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54307 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:19 PM

Brewing pregame here.  The sun is out, the phone is quiet, the grains and hops are measured out and the water is filtered.  Getting everything ready to go and starting in about 45 minutes.  I need to stay sharp because my son is coming home and I'm picking him up at O'Hare at 1:45am!!  :o   

#203 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:30 AM

Contemplating a Sunday Vienna Lager.  I haven't made one in several batches and I'm hankering that flavor.  I'm going to lighten this one up a bit as well: 50/30/20: Vienna, Pils, Munich with an ounce of Carafa II. 

I 'could' spin up some fresh Staro Prague but I honestly didn't think it was as good as the hype or as good simple 34/70. Don't hate me for that.  

Last time I made a batch I used one 34/70 and one S189 which came out fantastic.  I think that's the road Ima head down.

#204 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

Brewing my first batch on the Pico Z today.  Basic APA with Veteran's Blend hops.

#205 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54307 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:40 PM

Water is filtered and grains are measured out for my FLAT EARTH DARK & HOPPY WHEAT BEER. Unsure which day it will be brewed but sometime between Friday and Sunday.

#206 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

Amazing...I'm actually brewing AGAIN!  Got several batches fermenting and full kegs.  What's happened to my life that I have so much time?  Another batch of Rye IPA.

#207 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54307 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:44 AM

Amazing...I'm actually brewing AGAIN!  Got several batches fermenting and full kegs.  What's happened to my life that I have so much time?  Another batch of Rye IPA.

I bet that feels good!  It's always great to get the supply up.  Cheers.

#208 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:07 AM

I bet that feels good!  It's always great to get the supply up.  Cheers.

Supply is good, but just getting to enjoy the process again is the big thing for me.  Part of it has to do with the fact that I now have the ability to control 3 different fermentation separately, so I don't have to wait for one to be done before I can do another.

#209 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

German-style pils on deck for Tuesday brewday.  Want to get it brewed now so it's ready for Memorial Day.

#210 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54307 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

German-style pils on deck for Tuesday brewday.  Want to get it brewed now so it's ready for Memorial Day.

Recipe?   :huh:

#211 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:22 AM

Recipe?   :huh:

Not exactly Reinheitsgebot-compliant, but still tasty:

10lb Pils

0.5lb wheat

0.5 C-10

1 oz Magnum (whole) to ~35 IBU's - bittering

Hallertau (pellet, ~3%AA): 1 oz @ 30 min left, 1oz @ 10 min left, then 1oz in a 20-min hop stand, for ~10 IBUs - flavor/aroma additions

and a fresh slurry of 34/70 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

Shooting for ~6% abv and ~45 IBUs for this one.

#212 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:16 AM

Going home at lunch to mash in a Bavarian Bastard; Vienna, Pils, Munich, a little Carafa III and a spot of Carahell.  34/70 & S189.  Tettnanger and Mittlefrue.  Yes, I'm using up stuff :)

Tomorrow I'm doing a Citra, Simcoe and 007 IPA.  Under the gun for providing beer for a Derby party.

Pray for me.

#213 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54307 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:04 AM

Going home at lunch to mash in a Bavarian Bastard; Vienna, Pils, Munich, a little Carafa III and a spot of Carahell.  34/70 & S189.  Tettnanger and Mittlefrue.  Yes, I'm using up stuff :)

Tomorrow I'm doing a Citra, Simcoe and 007 IPA.  Under the gun for providing beer for a Derby party.

Pray for me.

Two batches in two days?  You'll put your eye out.  :lol:  I have a party this Saturday which is one reason why I have been brewing like crazy.  I expect to have empty kegs by Sunday morning.  Good luck beer man.

#214 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:17 AM

Two batches in two days?  You'll put your eye out.  :lol:  I have a party this Saturday which is one reason why I have been brewing like crazy.  I expect to have empty kegs by Sunday morning.  Good luck beer man.

Thanks my friend.  A little party at Mayfair?  What's on tap?

#215 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54307 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

Thanks my friend.  A little party at Mayfair?  What's on tap?

We're having a "Fiesta" with Mexican food.  My wife is making sopas and a bunch of other stuff.  I'm making chicken tortilla soup, salsa, guacamole, steak & chicken fajitas, etc.  I have Cabana Lager (pale) and Bordertown Lager (dark) on tap along with a hoppy pale ale and there is a red lager on tap now but that keg is getting low.  In the "on-deck" fridge there is a blonde ale, another pale ale, another pale lager, a Vienna and MLPA.  I'm gonna need a beer with all that cooking.  :lol:  

#216 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:47 AM

^^ Holy Cow Ken!  All of this sounds delicious.  

#217 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54307 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

^^ Holy Cow Ken!  All of this sounds delicious.  

My wife and I started making sopas lately and they're awesome.  I have been perfecting my chicken tortilla soup recipe for 20+ years (as long as I've been brewing! :lol:) and I've been playing with a homemade salsa recipe (it's in the cookbook section) for probably 5 years.  Looking forward to it.  Cheers brother and good luck with the brew sessions.  

#218 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:40 PM

Brewing The Helles that LeftyMPfrmDE put in the Recipe section a while back. I actually sourced the hops and malt!

Looking forward to having it on tap since all my taps quit this weekend  :crybaby: I'm actually hoping to have another brew session this week so I can get my kegs filled up!

#219 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

English-ish IPA on deck for this coming Tueday.

Using my standard IPA grist (mostly pils/2-row, with some Munich, wheat, and medium crystal) to an OG of ~1.070.  Unlike my American-tilted IPAs, this one will get some cane sugar in the primary (~0.5lb) to dry the beer out and bump up the gravity a bit, to ~1.075-ish, and a final abv of ~8%.

Magnum to bitter, then some heavy late additions of First Gold and EKG pellets that need their time to shine, for ~80 IBU's total.

US-05 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

#220 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

Just finished up making a starter of WLP565- the DuPont strain. I've been brewing for a decade, and never made a Saison- using the recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles" as a reference. going to mash low at 145, start at 68* for a couple days, and ramp up to 80*, 5 degrees every 12 hours, and brewing with a topless fermentor (well, covered with cheese cloth.) 

excited to give this a go- earlier in my brewing, never had much love for Saison or Belgium beers in general- Now, I do enjoy them from time to time; a well made, bone dry Saison in the high of summer is a great time. 

hoping this method will avoid the "DuPont stall". 

The "DuPont stall" is a term used outside my brewing; as I'm employed by a company with the same name sake. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 03 May 2019 - 11:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users