27 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

I was talking about the commercial version of this over HERE. There are also numerous reviews on BA for this beer, mostly good. I liked the overall idea of this beer... dark, wheat, hoppy, citrus & tropical hops. I had a few of these at dinner a couple weekends ago and it's a nice beer. The Two Brothers site says it's got 43 IBUs and it uses Citra hops. A number of people on BA have mentioned tasting something piney, resiny, citrusy and also carmelly. I originally did not have any crystal malt in this beer but after reading a number of reviews that said it had carmel notes, I thought a small amount couldn't hurt. This beer is brewed in Illinois but it's also distributed to Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and Florida (and another one too?). I think it's worth a try if you see it. I'm going to try to brew it thusly:

Flat Earth Dark Hoppy Wheat Beer

5 lbs White Wheat
4.75 lbs Rahr Pale Ale malt
4 ounces C80
2 ounces Midnight Wheat
4.4 AAU of Magnum pellets for 60 mins
1 oz Citra pellets 13.4% for 10 mins
1 oz Citra pellets 13.9% for 2 mins
Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

OG: 1.057, FG: 1.014, IBU: 43, SRM: 13, ABV: 5.5%

I would do a single infusion mash around 151° for 60 minutes.  Watch the pH, etc. ferment it kind of cool.  If the weather warms up sometime soon, I am ready to go with this beer.  Cheers.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

I think this is going to a very nice beer.

One thing I would mention…you seem to mash at that temp frequently and you know your system better than anyone but if I were to mash at that temp, with that grain bill and that yeast, I would be come in around 1.010 or maybe a little less. Don't know if that matters to you but thought I would mention it.

Also, I should add… what's a guy gotta do to get a target mash pH and water profile around here? Help a brotha out. Serious fail for the comp. of water.

#3 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

I really like what you have going on here.  My only thought is that if they were talking about piney/resinous flavors you might consider subbing out the 10 min addition of Citra for an oz of Simcoe.  Either way that's going to be a tasty brew.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

I think this is going to a very nice beer. One thing I would mention…you seem to mash at that temp frequently and you know your system better than anyone but if I were to mash at that temp, with that grain bill and that yeast, I would be come in around 1.010 or maybe a little less. Don't know if that matters to you but thought I would mention it. Also, I should add… what's a guy gotta do to get a target mash pH and water profile around here? Help a brotha out. Serious fail for the comp. of water.

The commercial version was a little "thin" when I had it and a number of reviews said that too and maybe that's why I liked it.  Are you thinking that a little higher would be better?  Hmm, target mash pH would be 5.3 or 5.4 and water profile is already set as:  Ca: 50, Mg: 9, Na: 10, Cl: 43, SO4: 42, Bicarb: 85.

I really like what you have going on here. My only thought is that if they were talking about piney/resinous flavors you might consider subbing out the 10 min addition of Citra for an oz of Simcoe. Either way that's going to be a tasty brew.

As I read those reviews, I kept hearing "citrus" as well but I'm not going to add any Amarillo to this because it's a combination I already do on other beers and it's been done. If this commercial beer is made with hops other than Citra, Two Brothers site does not mention it. Also... shouldn't "CITRA" have a "CITRUS" flavor? I know it's got some tropical thing going as well but other than Amarillo, I have no hops that have more citrus or pine. No Simcoe. I have some Nelson and some Cascade but most of my other hops are cleaner than that.

Edited by KenLenard, 27 February 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

The commercial version was a little "thin" when I had it and a number of reviews said that too and maybe that's why I liked it.  Are you thinking that a little higher would be better?  Hmm, target mash pH would be 5.3 or 5.4 and water profile is already set as:  Ca: 50, Mg: 9, Na: 10, Cl: 43, SO4: 42, Bicarb: 85.

I don't know if it would be better or not. I was just pointing it out 'cause you had a FG estimate of 1.014 which I know I would blow through. It may not matter too much anyways.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

I've made some similar dark wheats and have been pleased.  Never used Midnight yet but it sounds fairly neutral.  43 IBUs?  God love you!!

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

I don't know if it would be better or not. I was just pointing it out 'cause you had a FG estimate of 1.014 which I know I would blow through. It may not matter too much anyways.

That 1.014 is just an estimate and it will probably be lower than that. My guess is that the consistency of this beer will be relatively thin.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

I've made some similar dark wheats and have been pleased.  Never used Midnight yet but it sounds fairly neutral.  43 IBUs?  God love you!!

Yeah, the MW is really nice. You get a lot of color in a small amount and you will get some flavor as well but it's way, way less than a roasted barley, etc.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

I was thinking that I could leave the recipe "as is" but at flameout drop in like ½ an ounce of Simcoe.  I could hit up the LHBS (I need a couple of other things too) and pick up the Simcoe.  Adding it that way could just be enough to hint at some pine although I can't remember exactly experiencing pine when I had the commercial version. 

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

From Simcoe I get grapefruit and pine. It will pair well with the citra IMO.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

I have the water filtered and the grains measured out and if the stars align and I brew tomorrow... no Simcoe in the recipe. If it turns out that I brew on Sunday, I might go to the LHBS tomorrow instead. I did make label for the tap handle though...

Posted Image

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Brewed this beer this morning. I didn't go out to my LHBS so it was brewed as posted. Looks and smells tasty. It's in the fermenter surrounded by 10 gallons of cool water on the basement floor. I will post a pic and/or review of the beer eventually.

#13 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Bumpity for a pic.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

Bumpity for a pic.

It's kegged, cold and carbed. Just waiting for an open tap. A pic will follow shortly.

#15 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

:coffee:  Any update?

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

Can you believe it's still in the on-deck fridge? It's gonna be crystal clear, that's for sure. :P I might have held off on this one because my wife likes these beers with late Amarillo and/or Citra in it and I already have a keg of a late-hopped Amarillo-Citra Pale Ale on tap now. I think I may have thought that the Flat Earth would take over when the current one was empty. I'll post a pic, for sure.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

This beer is going on tap tomorrow. One of the funky WLP090 beers is in a keg that is getting drop-kicked and this one is replacing it. I will sample this one and try to snap a pic if possible.

Edited by KenLenard, 01 July 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

Ken, yes on the picture.  I'd like to see what the MW brought to the SRM.

Cheers

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

As promised...

Posted Image

Tough lighting so draw your own conclusions. The color is just fine to me but this is 2 ounces of MW plus 4 ounces of C80 in 5 gallons and about 10 lbs of grain. The beer turned out FANTASTIC. The Citra hops are the star of the show here. The beer is very smooth and the flavor and aroma of Citra dominate the finish. Well balanced, nice body, etc. It's been awhile since I made a beer with Citra but no Amarillo. Cheers Beerheads.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

Looks like a nice beer. I may have to give this a try for an Autumn wheat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users