#141 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

Brewed the latest and hopefully next to last version of the American mild a couple weeks ago.  It's _THIS_ close!  The used the slurry from that for a Rye IPA a couple days ago.  Gonna do a lager hopefully in the next few days.

#142 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

Brewed the latest and hopefully next to last version of the American mild a couple weeks ago. It's _THIS_ close! The used the slurry from that for a Rye IPA a couple days ago. Gonna do a lager hopefully in the next few days.

Is the mild still designed around specific malt? I think it was Patagonia but may be wrong.

#143 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:35 AM

Is the mild still designed around specific malt? I think it was Patagonia but may be wrong.

Mecca Grade.  We discuss the recipe on the podcast coming out Wed.  I think any good craft malt would work, and that generally you want to avoid "Big Malt".  As much as I like Rahr or GW for "normal" beers, for something as ingredient light as the mild you need malt that packs big flavor.  I've recently used malt from Root Shoot in CO and it was excellent.  AAMOF, they just won an award for best tasting craft malt in the US.  I'm sure there's a lot of other great craft malt I haven't tried, too.

I do think that Am. noble hops are a big part of the equation, also, along with WY1450.

#144 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:31 AM

My wife, along with a few other brewing goodies, got my 5 pounds of Mecca's "Munich" style.  I'm thinking some kind of Alt'ish beer......  

#145 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

My wife, along with a few other brewing goodies, got my 5 pounds of Mecca's "Munich" style.  I'm thinking some kind of Alt'ish beer......  

Yeah, do something that really features it.

#146 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:09 PM

I used some local craft malt called "Wildfire" in a couple of beers last year.    Man, that stuff would not go quietly and totally dominated the beers.     It worked pretty good in a 40 IBU beer, but just destroyed a 20 IBU one.

#147 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:33 PM

I used some local craft malt called "Wildfire" in a couple of beers last year.    Man, that stuff would not go quietly and totally dominated the beers.     It worked pretty good in a 40 IBU beer, but just destroyed a 20 IBU one.

What did it do on the low-hopped beers?

#148 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:47 PM

Hoping to get a porter brewed early next week to be ready in time for St. Patrick's Day.

#149 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

Hoping to get a porter brewed early next week to be ready in time for St. Patrick's Day.

Brewed one about a month ago.  

Made a starter tonight.  Kinda chocolate milk colored so far.  It was from reserved grain bill of the porter.  I really like porters - I should make more

#150 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:28 AM

Brewing today, just tossed in whirlpool hops. Old school type Rye IPA. 65% Local 2-row, 25% rye and 10% C60. Hops consist of Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Columbus.

#151 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

Brewday is on for Wednesday.  Got my empty propane tank swapped out today after work, so no running out of propane on brewday.

Dry stout (in the ~5% range) is on deck, to be served on nitro, a la Guinness, for St. Patrick's Day.

#152 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

What did it do on the low-hopped beers?

Huge malt flavor, and not in a good way either.   Stuff was more like a super heavy Munich malt with kind of a "burnt" edge to it.   And I don't like Munich that much...

Interestly, this past weekend I threw a tap on the pale ale I made with it last fall and it had really simmered down a lot.   Probably oxidation.   Maybe that malt is too strong for Low O2 stuff. 

#153 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

Maybe that malt is too strong for Low O2 stuff.

That is a thing (serious question)? I have read a lot of the stuff over there but I don't remember malt being an issue.

#154 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

If the weather people aren't lying to me, I think a Dortmunder lager is on the docket for this Thursday.

#155 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

If the weather people aren't lying to me, I think a Dortmunder lager is on the docket for this Thursday.

Meaning?  It's going to be warm enough to brew or it's going to be REALLY warm so you can sit outside and drink dortmunder?  :lol:

#156 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:28 AM

Meaning?  It's going to be warm enough to brew or it's going to be REALLY warm so you can sit outside and drink dortmunder?  :lol:

Warm enough to brew, and if I can score some Dort to enjoy on brewday, there'll be some Dort on Dort action in my garage. :o :D

#157 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

Warm enough to brew, and if I can score some Dort to enjoy on brewday, there'll be some Dort on Dort action in my garage. :o :D

brb... 

#158 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

We cut out Dallas trip short to avoid bad weather driving back so I have tomorrow off.  Prepped to brew an all Centennial oatmeal pale ale.  No yeast ready so I'll harvest from the conical.  It's supposed to be 1df outside when I mash in.  67df in the basement though............  I try to time brew days to coincide with bad weather year round.

#159 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

Brewing a generic lager today...50/50 pils and Munich, both Mecca Grade.  First use of the Grainfather conical and glycol chiller.  Although with a 35F ambient temp, not sure how much the chiller will do.

#160 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:24 AM

Brewing a generic lager today...50/50 pils and Munich, both Mecca Grade.  First use of the Grainfather conical and glycol chiller.  Although with a 35F ambient temp, not sure how much the chiller will do.

With that grain bill and that maltser I call that anything but generic.

Curious, can that conical heat too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users