#121 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:09 PM

MLPA is about to boil. Getting everything that needs it sanitized and getting ready for the chill. I'm hoping I can start the IPA by 4. That's the only problem with this brew rig is that I can't start the mash for the second beer until the first one is done. On the other hand, brewing is taking like 4.5 - 5 hours to be completely done, drinking a beer, and taking it easy. If I was really good about the brew it would take 9.5 hours for 1 beer and that's almost non stop setting up, cleaning, sanitizing, doing the hoses, prepping the fermenter, everything. More often than not it would take 12 hours to get it done. I'm much happier with the less amount of stress this is taking and I don't have to worry about having 1 bbl of beer of which I'm lucky if I drink 4-5 pints.

#122 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

MLPA is about to boil. Getting everything that needs it sanitized and getting ready for the chill. I'm hoping I can start the IPA by 4. That's the only problem with this brew rig is that I can't start the mash for the second beer until the first one is done. On the other hand, brewing is taking like 4.5 - 5 hours to be completely done, drinking a beer, and taking it easy. If I was really good about the brew it would take 9.5 hours for 1 beer and that's almost non stop setting up, cleaning, sanitizing, doing the hoses, prepping the fermenter, everything. More often than not it would take 12 hours to get it done. I'm much happier with the less amount of stress this is taking and I don't have to worry about having 1 bbl of beer of which I'm lucky if I drink 4-5 pints.

are you doing old school or the slightly revised later version?  I seem to remember the amount of crystal going down slightly.

#123 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

are you doing old school or the slightly revised later version? I seem to remember the amount of crystal going down slightly.

Good point. I have never successfully made MLPA. I should dig up the latest revision and give it a go. I bought Mt Hood just for it last year.

#124 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

Good point. I have never successfully made MLPA. I should dig up the latest revision and give it a go. I bought Mt Hood just for it last year.

i seem to remember it being pretty malty and easy drinking.  kind of like an american alt.

#125 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

Only thing I switched up was using crisp C-60 rather than American C-60 (1 lb). It's a little more subdued in the caramel flavor than the american variety IMO. 5.0% ABV 1 charge of mt hood to 18 IBU at 60, pale ale malt, and some white wheat. Used 1056. I just got it all done and it's in the ferm chamber. I'm about to start the IPA.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 27 January 2019 - 02:01 PM.

#126 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:08 PM

Only thing I switched up was using crisp C-60 rather than American C-60 (1 lb). It's a little more subdued in the caramel flavor than the american variety IMO. 5.0% ABV 1 charge of mt hood to 18 IBU at 60, pale ale malt, and some white wheat. Used 1056. I just got it all done and it's in the ferm chamber. I'm about to start the IPA.

that sounds pretty OG (not gravity) MLPA.  I think if I made it now I'd cut the C-60 in half and add half a pound of carapils copper.

#127 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

that sounds pretty OG (not gravity) MLPA.  I think if I made it now I'd cut the C-60 in half and add half a pound of carapils copper.

Gravity was like 4.8 I think for the OG. Not a big difference.

#128 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

Well I screwed up the hops. No citra, subbed amarillo, too many hop additions and I missed one entirely.

#129 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

Well I screwed up the hops. No citra, subbed amarillo, too many hop additions and I missed one entirely.

Just make up for it with a big dh.

#130 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

Just make up for it with a big dh.

I don't think I need to. It's got plenty of hops. I'll stick to the plan.

Edit... I mean Im gonna dry hop, I dont think I really need to go overboard with it though.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 27 January 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#131 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

I don't think I need to. It's got plenty of hops. I'll stick to the plan.

Edit... I mean Im gonna dry hop, I dont think I really need to go overboard with it though.

So about 1-1.5oz/g?

#132 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

Like 0.8... adding an oz of each hop except nugget.

I also forgot to set my timer...

#133 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:33 PM

Decided to let the 0 min charge whirlpool for 20 minutes. Really this just means I stirred it up and let it all settle naturally and sit for 20 minutes. Smelled really good going into the fermenter. I'll add dry hops in a few days. I can't wait to try this beer. I think it's gonna be dank.

#134 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

knocked out the second brew of the year .Called it Blizzard IPA..1.060 OG...NB , and crystal hops.Hit all my numbers. 

#135 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

Had to break out the space heater to get the temp up on the ferm chamber.

#136 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:31 AM

Had to break out the space heater to get the temp up on the ferm chamber.

In a month, we'll be sweating taking the garbage to the end of the driveway :)

#137 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:59 PM

Brewing a nice helles today.    Pils/carahell   92/8    25 IBU's,    Munich lager yeast.   

#138 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:31 PM

Brewing a nice helles today.    Pils/carahell   92/8    25 IBU's,    Munich lager yeast.   

Sounds nice to me.

A well pump breaker issue has me in the not brewing camp right now.

#139 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:45 AM

3rd brew of the year here, trying falconers flight hops for the first time. 

On a side note, i have a small wooden barrel (charred) , after 20 seal test days (?) .I hope to age it with a Imperial Stout. I believe I read 12 weeks will age it nicely( for first use) ..any thoughts are welcome.. 

#140 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54114 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:55 AM

I was out on vacation last week but when I got home I sent the last 2 beers that were in fermenters to their kegs and chilled and carbed them (a Vienna Lager with 2782 and an Amarillo-Citra beer with 2112).  Those carbed up over this past week and were done last night.  So I have 10 full(ish) kegs (I'm sure that's temporary) and I'm going to glide for a bit.  When I find myself with 2-3 empty kegs I'll start back up with some 2124 and make a few batches of gold lager for the spring.  Until then the brewery is closed.   Cheers Beerheads. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users