#81 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

I guess it was a leaking purge keg. I attached the blowoff directly to a jar of sanatizer and it was all good. Not sure why the yeast is taking so long. Everything I have read is it works super fast.

oh - I thought you had confirmed fermentation had stopped.

#82 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

oh - I thought you had confirmed fermentation had stopped.

I took gravity readings 8 hours apart and it didn't change. No bubbles this morning so I assumed it stalled. Checked again after work and it dropped 10 points.

#83 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

I took gravity readings 8 hours apart and it didn't change. No bubbles this morning so I assumed it stalled. Checked again after work and it dropped 10 points.

weird stuff.  did your yeast go on strike?

#84 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

What are you thinking for a Kellerbier recipe?

Really simple recipe: 75% pilsner, 25% light Munich. Liberty for bittering and hallertau at 10 minutes and flameout.

#85 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

Making the first brew of the year. Extract, steeping grains. First time i did an extract brew in years. Found a couple of unused grain bags(thank jesus) i thought i was going to have to find a sock.

Can hallertau hops be over used? i have lots . 

#86 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

Setting up for IPA next weekend. I need to do a double brew. My conical should have showed up by then and my big mouth bubbler will be free of stout. I can't decide what to brew though. I have a camping trip in 5 weeks that Im bringing beer for and I'd like 3 beers. I'll have stout, IPA, and ??? Might just do kolsch. I need some new styles, maybe a swartzbier. I'm gonna break out of my funk this year and go through brewing classic styles. along with my IPA stuff.

#87 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

If the weather behaves on Tuesday, a workday brewday might happen.

Looking at making a Scottish-ish ale, in the neighborhood of an 80/-.

#88 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

Just finished up a brown ale. Fourth brew of the new year. Taking next week off then an Irish Stout and a run of lagers with WLP835.

#89 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

Just finished up a brown ale. Fourth brew of the new year. Taking next week off then an Irish Stout and a run of lagers with WLP835.

nice work!  I'm only 2 in so far.

#90 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

So I have this 2782 and 2112 running at the same time and they're both about to be retired before I head out on vacation.  I made a Vienna Lager on Friday with the 2782 and now I need a day to make the last batch with the 2112.  The temps are an issue but Wednesday looks like it will be a high of about 30° which seems reasonable.  If all of that goes smoothly, the beers can finish up while I'm gone and then transferred to kegs when I get back.  

#91 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

Did a Vienna lager, finished up around 1:00 am this morning; Usually, I'll start around midnight, for my work schedule. but with the weather dropping into the low teens and raging wind, got water measured, treated and grain crushed yesterday morning, and started at 6:00 pm, to get ahead of the game. all my hoses and such were frozen by 9. 

It got ugly around 11, with the bitter cold and wind, so just hunkered down in the garage for the most the brew session. Hit all my numbers on the nose! extra added bonus, the ground water temp was in the 40s, so the wort chilled in no time: from a boil to 55 in 20 minutes. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 21 January 2019 - 10:36 AM.

#92 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:41 AM

Did a Vienna lager, finished up around 1:00 am this morning; Usually, I'll start around midnight, for my work schedule. but with the weather dropping into the low teens and raging wind, got water measured, treated and grain crushed yesterday morning, and started at 6:00 pm, to get ahead of the game. all my hoses and such were frozen by 9. 

It got ugly around 11, with the bitter cold and wind, so just hunkered down in the garage for the most the brew session. Hit all my numbers on the nose! extra added bonus, the ground water temp was in the 40s, so the wort chilled in no time: from a boil to 55 in 20 minutes. 

This makes me appreciate brewing inside :).  I do not miss those days.  Glad you got the batch in though.

#93 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:46 AM

I think I brewed in 14° once.  The snow and cold is one thing but in the garage the wind can be brutal because you have to leave the overhead door open a bit.  I will bring in the hose the night before and lay it in a shower or tub.  The 30-minute boil means a shorter time in the garage and I agree with Lefty... cold ground water temps are a huge plus.  

#94 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

I think I brewed in 14° once.  The snow and cold is one thing but in the garage the wind can be brutal because you have to leave the overhead door open a bit.  I will bring in the hose the night before and lay it in a shower or tub.  The 30-minute boil means a shorter time in the garage and I agree with Lefty... cold ground water temps are a huge plus.  

the garage will stay in the coldest of winters above freezing; which makes a huge difference; I find what works in those winter session, is crack the garage door open about 8", and have a box fan near my brew rig, backside of the fan facing the burners, to diffuse and draw out the propane smell and fumes, getting rid of any dangers working with propane in a enclosed environment.   

#95 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Water is filtered and grains are weighed out for a Wednesday afternoon brew session with this unusual number:

1raut2.png

They have upgraded the high temp for tomorrow to 37° which I'm calling positively balmy.  After that the temps plunge and I will have a break in the brewing.  Once this beer is done I will have 10 full kegs.  Whew.  

#96 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

Looks nice Ken.  Hit that with a nice 5-6oz dry hop and you will be all set :)

Edited by drez77, 22 January 2019 - 01:37 PM.

#97 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:55 PM

Brewday got bumped to tomorrow; temps supposed to be near 50° and rainy.  Cool.

Recipe deets for tomorrow's Scottish-ish ale:

5lb Pils

5lb Munich

0.5lb wheat

0.5lb C-60

2 oz EKG pellets (1.5 oz for bittering, 0.5 oz as a 10-min addition) for ~25-ish IBU's

US-05 will handle the heavy lifting in a cool (~60°F) primary.

Shooting for ~1.060 for 5.5 gal in the primary.

#98 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

Gonna try for a double brew day on Sat. IPA and Dunkel. 

#99 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:47 AM

Next on deck either an Alt or a Vienna "Pale" Lager.  Indecision may or may not be my problem

#100 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:08 PM

Brew session is complete and everything went smooth despite the weather.  Snow this morning with ice underneath it.  More snow this afternoon and then the temps are supposed to plummet.  But the high today was about 30° so no frozen hoses, etc.  Actually, Frozen Hoses would be a good band name.  Or maybe a good beer name.  Frozen Hoses West Coast Amarillo & Citra beer... now that's a mouthful.  Anyway, there is a Vienna Lager (batch 7 made with 2782) that is finishing up and this Amarillo & Citra beer (batch 5 made with 2112) will ferment and when I get back from vacation I'll keg them both and retire both yeasts.  So the bar is fully stocked (10 kegs) and the brewery is closed for awhile.  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users