683 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18037 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

Maybe; i don't dry-hop much any more, but this might be a good case for it.

Considering either Columbus or Amarillo for DH.

Both! 2:1 amarillo :Columbus

#42 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

Got everything about ready for a brew in the morning. Still have to keg the pilsner before I can get the stout in the fermenter. I need another fermenter so I can do an IPA in a couple weeks.

#43 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18037 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:42 AM

Change of plans.  The porter will need to be moved off since the APA is still occupying the space it needs.  Going to give this lager a go instead seeing my cellar is sitting at 52 right now.  I have used the simple grist bill before but the hops are new.  

49492193_10158335050404657_7803555754031

#44 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:25 AM

That looks nice Drez.  Brewing an amber beer today with 2112... Horizon to bitter and then late Northern Brewer and Loral.  Strike water is heating.  

#45 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Pilsner is kegged and the stout is boiling. Should be all cleaned up and done in about 2 hours.

#46 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:33 PM

Man im loving this set up. So much easier to brew 5 gal. So much less stress.

#47 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

Cheers Rich.  Glad to see you back on it.  Pics of the beers when they're camera-ready.  

#48 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

Gearing up for the first brew session of 2019! Its going to be a cold night, but that's ok. Its a take on a APA that I've meaning to try.

10# Two Row
.80# Vienna
.50# light Munich
.40# special roast.

Hops are Horizon at 60m, Centennial at 15m, mount hood at 10m, hop stand of centennial and mount hood, and some galaxy at day 3 or 4 into primary. Using wyeast 1450 for the 1st time.

Haven't made something hoppy for a while; and have been craving a apa for sometime.

Santa also gave me a JaDeD hydra Immersion chiller for Christmas; gave it a PBW cycle last week, so there is new gear excitement with this brew session.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 06 January 2019 - 07:25 PM.

#49 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18037 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:37 PM

That looks like a nice APA. Curious how the chiller works for you.

#50 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:11 AM

Curious how the chiller works for you.

That chiller is a MONSTER. It took four minutes to go from a boil to 130 degrees with 7 gallons of water. The ground water was about 40 or so degrees. I use a sump pump and a large plastic tub with 2 1 gallon jugs frozen. Also, i have a recir arm and pump set up to flow the wort around the chillers.

It took 9 minutes to go from 130 degrees to 64. This is a serious piece of gear.

I never been a fan of plate or CFC chillers; mainly because i cant see if they are clean, and are a hassle to clean up. I bought a plate chiller and sold it after a couple sessions; wasn't a fan. If folks were on the fence about getting on, buy it. You wont regret it.

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18037 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:59 AM

That chiller is a MONSTER. It took four minutes to go from a boil to 130 degrees with 7 gallons of water. The ground water was about 40 or so degrees. I use a sump pump and a large plastic tub with 2 1 gallon jugs frozen. Also, i have a recir arm and pump set up to flow the wort around the chillers.

It took 9 minutes to go from 130 degrees to 64. This is a serious piece of gear.

I never been a fan of plate or CFC chillers; mainly because i cant see if they are clean, and are a hassle to clean up. I bought a plate chiller and sold it after a couple sessions; wasn't a fan. If folks were on the fence about getting on, buy it. You wont regret it.

I have looked at them but for a few reasons I am not sure how they will work for me.  One is the element in my kettle.  I have had good luck with my all copper CFC but I agree with you on plates. I have had 3 and sold all of them.

So it was a total of 13 minutes to get to 64?  Any idea on the total amount of water.  Being on a well I try and be as water conscious chilling as I can.  Yesterday I got 6g to 58 with about 10g of water and then a post chiller in ice.  Most times I just let the fridge bring it down to pitching temps if my chilling only gets me to the 70's.

#52 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:04 AM

I have looked at them but for a few reasons I am not sure how they will work for me. One is the element in my kettle. I have had good luck with my all copper CFC but I agree with you on plates. I have had 3 and sold all of them.

So it was a total of 13 minutes to get to 64? Any idea on the total amount of water. Being on a well I try and be as water conscious chilling as I can. Yesterday I got 6g to 58 with about 10g of water and then a post chiller in ice. Most times I just let the fridge bring it down to pitching temps if my chilling only gets me to the 70's.

13 minutes of total chill time, and the total water used was 12 gallons. It shaved off about a half hour of chilling time and saved a boat load of water. I follow suit with putting the wort in the fridge, in the summer, Im lucky to get down to 80.

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18037 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

13 minutes of total chill time, and the total water used was 12 gallons. It shaved off about a half hour of chilling time and saved a boat load of water. I follow suit with putting the wort in the fridge, in the summer, Im lucky to get down to 80.

Thank you for the data point!

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

Hydra is pretty pricey but sounds impressively fast.

#55 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

What is the deal with this chiller?  It looks like any other 50' immersion chiller to me.  I looked it up and I see all of the eye-popping stats but it doesn't really explain how it gets wort from 212° to 68° in 3 minutes.  In the winter I get my wort from 212 to about 75 in 10 minutes with just a standard 25' stainless chiller.  No clue how much water I'm using but I'm sure it's a good amount.  

How long does it usually take for you to chill?

#56 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18037 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:46 PM

What is the deal with this chiller?  It looks like any other 50' immersion chiller to me.  I looked it up and I see all of the eye-popping stats but it doesn't really explain how it gets wort from 212° to 68° in 3 minutes.  

Look at it again.  The water comes in and then splits off 3 ways to three separate chillers.  So the same luke warm water is not going from top to bottom ( or bottom to top).  You have three separate chilling zones.

#57 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

What is the deal with this chiller? It looks like any other 50' immersion chiller to me. I looked it up and I see all of the eye-popping stats but it doesn't really explain how it gets wort from 212° to 68° in 3 minutes. In the winter I get my wort from 212 to about 75 in 10 minutes with just a standard 25' stainless chiller. No clue how much water I'm using but I'm sure it's a good amount.

How long does it usually take for you to chill?

In the winter, about 45 minutes. I had two cobbled together IC's that were pretty useless. In the summer, with my sump pump/ ice water set up, i can chill to about 78.

#58 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

Look at it again. The water comes in and then splits off 3 ways to three separate chillers. So the same luke warm water is not going from top to bottom ( or bottom to top). You have three separate chilling zones.

This. The in and out arms of the chiller are 1/2". It has an adapter that splits into 3 different 3/8" coils that have zones; bottom, middle and top of the coil.

#59 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:30 AM

This. The in and out arms of the chiller are 1/2". It has an adapter that splits into 3 different 3/8" coils that have zones; bottom, middle and top of the coil.

That chiller has more zones than my house!

#60 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Tapping the pilsner in a few. Will post the pic in other thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users