683 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:48 PM

I stopped at a quickie mart in Indiana earlier this year and while waiting in line there were 24oz cans of Yuengling so I bought three of them.  They were very good as you might expect as opposed to a bad draft line.  I would also say that the beer might be darker than the recipe I posted.  I have seen it look "amber" and I have seen it look darker than that... almost like a ½ ounce of carafa or MW should be in there.  Depends on the glass, the light, the time of day, etc.

2vb8s1s.jpg

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

I have that same glass but with gold on the rim.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

I can't remember where I stole borrowed it from.   :sarcasm:

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

what makes a beer yuengling like? is it a lager made with US 2-row instead of german pils? personally when I want easy drinking I make a helles. that's kind of on the lower limit of what I like to have in terms of flavor intensity. the taste of pretty much straight pils is great to me.

as for me I'm hoping to brew on friday. just need to get my shit together in the next few days.

My plan for the beer will be two row, corn and some crystal. American amber lager. I am not sure yet what I will do do for hops but I plan to use WLP940 for yeast. We will see what happens.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

My plan for the beer will be two row, corn and some crystal. American amber lager. I am not sure yet what I will do do for hops but I plan to use WLP940 for yeast. We will see what happens.

940 is nice all the way around.  I really like its character and I use it for anything where I want to get that Mexican character.  I feel like I would have to pick WLP840 as my favorite "American Lager" yeast.  I have used it numerous times in plain "gold lagers" and it has a character that I like.  Much more than 2035, 2007, etc.  

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

Well, the IPA will end up an APA. Made a crucial mistake not taking in to account the bottom drain and got a much higher preboil volume than planned. Oh well, smelled and tasted good.

#27 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:27 PM

"I stopped at a quickie mart in Indiana earlier this year",,,  so this morning then LOL.. 

That looks like a nice tasty Lager.. :cheers: 

#28 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

Agreed, it's rare to find a bar/restaurant/etc, that serves it fresh and thru clean lines.  I can count on one hand (with a finger or 3 left) the # of times I've been served Yeungling on tap where it actually looked/tasted right.

In bottles/cans, and given the scenarios I posted earlier, sure, I'll take a Yuengling if offered and be grateful for it. But when it's served wrong (dirty lines, old keg, wrong temp, etc), it's not a good beer to drink.

And my first brewday of 2019 keeps getting pushed back (damn work/life commitments).  *shakes fist at the universe*

Tuesday, 1/8, appears to be the day.  Should be a decent day to brew; the weather people are calling for 50° and some rain.  I'll take it.

Yuengling is the local macro around here. +1 on its a rare find it at a bar or restaurant with clean tap lines; it'll showcase whatever funk that's in said tap lines real quick. It's on of the cheapest beers you can buy that has a great, refreshing flavor, that isn't your typical bud/miller/coors US lager. It's one of the first beers I preferred in the can, as they use green bottles. The original brew house is a couple hours north from me, of course it was flawless outta the tap. 

Can't remember that last time I had one. going to pick some up shortly!

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

I'm going to make two more beers with this 2112 before I retire it.  One is a sort of "American Pub Ale/Lager" and I'm going to do this for the last one:

1raut2.png

#30 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:30 AM

I'm going to make two more beers with this 2112 before I retire it.  One is a sort of "American Pub Ale/Lager" and I'm going to do this for the last one:

1raut2.png

This is a beer that only has 5 calories per 330 mL?   Sweet!  :D :P

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

This is a beer that only has 5 calories per 330 mL?   Sweet!  :D :P

:lol:

Yeah, I've noticed that.  Clearly a bug in the calculator.  

#32 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

:lol:

Yeah, I've noticed that.  Clearly a bug in the calculator.  

Bummer; would've been a big help on my waistline. :D

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

1raut2.png

I did a beer similar to this back in October.  50//50 GP and Wheat and I had some caravienne in there.  Cirta and Amarillo WP and DH with a little citra also at 15 and 5.  Really nice beer.  Need to make a tweak or two next time but it came out very nice.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:22 AM

I haven't made a citrusy & hoppy beer in awhile and I keep looking at these hops in my freezer thinking that I need to take a swing at this style.  2112 is probably unconventional for this type of beer but what the heck... I can't imagine it being bad. 

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

Batch 2 for 2019.  Got this one planned for Sunday.  I may be able to use some 1450 if I move my APA to the keg to spund before I finish this beer but if not S-05 will do.  I have not used coffee malt before so not sure how this will come out.

32729630678_6ef3faf54c_c.jpg

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

Ooh, that should wake you up nicely, Drez.  Is this something you have made before?  If so, I don't remember it.

So I have my next three batches laid out and then I envision a break.  Two more batches with 2112 and one more with 2782.  The 2112 will be the recipe below (brewing this Sunday morning) and then the Amarillo-Citra beer I posted.  The 2782's last batch will be a Vienna Lager that I also posted earlier.

5untrd.png

This is not an American Amber Ale. It's more of an amber lager, American Pub Lager or something like that. Some color, some late hops and hopefully a nice character from the 2112. Not sure why my hop schedule looks like that but it's Horizon to bitter, Northern Brewer for 5 and then Loral into the WP. Should be nice.

#37 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

Ok, here's the plan for next week's batch, the "Overhopped Abomination":

My standard IPA grist (Pils, Munich, some wheat, and C-40), to an OG of ~1.070 for 5.5 gal in the primary.  For the hopping, tho, here's what I'm thinking:  (all whole hops; trying to clean out the freezer)

FWH - 1 oz Columbus

Bittering - 1 oz Magnum

15 min left in boil - 2 oz Amarillo

10 min left in boil - 2 oz Mosaic (pellets in this case)

5 min left in boil - 4 oz homegrown Cascade

and here's the "abomination" part: the yeast will be a healthy slurry of 34/70.

Anyone see any obvious clashes with the above hop combo?

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

Ok, here's the plan for next week's batch, the "Overhopped Abomination":

My standard IPA grist (Pils, Munich, some wheat, and C-40), to an OG of ~1.070 for 5.5 gal in the primary. For the hopping, tho, here's what I'm thinking: (all whole hops; trying to clean out the freezer)

FWH - 1 oz Columbus

Bittering - 1 oz Magnum

15 min left in boil - 2 oz Amarillo

10 min left in boil - 2 oz Mosaic (pellets in this case)

5 min left in boil - 4 oz homegrown Cascade

and here's the "abomination" part: the yeast will be a healthy slurry of 34/70.

Anyone see any obvious clashes with the above hop combo?

Looks like a good IPL. Any DHing going to happen?

#39 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

Ooh, that should wake you up nicely, Drez. Is this something you have made before? If so, I don't remember it.

I have made it a few times but it didn't have the coffee malt or lactose. I am shooting for a beer with a thicker mouthfeel. In the past it was enjoyable so I hope it still is.

#40 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

Looks like a good IPL. Any DHing going to happen?

Maybe; i don't dry-hop much any more, but this might be a good case for it.

Considering either Columbus or Amarillo for DH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users