#21 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

I am trying this today, too. 1.5 ounces of Columbus and Amarillo. I use hop sacks and I wonder what effect constricting the hops will have with this technique.Thanks for sharing.

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

so chill to 175, add hops, steep for 15 minutes, then resume chilling?

#23 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

It's so hot here where I'm at, that that would not be a problem for me. And, it's true, my flameout addition is in the kettle for around an hour. I'm trying to figure out a chilling system and costs right now. I think I could build the whirlpool chiller and then buy a pump and hose/disconnects. I may start a thread soon on ideas of making this happen, and sources for the hoses, etc.

#24 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Correcto-mundo.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

While I was at the LHBS today I also picked up a bunch of Saaz (already had 4-5 ounces) so I can try this technique on a Czech Pilsner of some sort. Could be just the PUNCH I'm looking for.

#26 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

Apparently, sounds like it worth trying.

#27 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Apparently, sounds like it worth trying.

I was already waiting 15 minutes to chill at flameout for my whirlpool hop, this simply shifts it

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

But are you whirlpooling/stirring for the 15 mins at 175 when you add the hops or just adding the hops, putting the lid on and steeping with the wort still? I have 2 beers coming up in the next two weeks where I will employ this method. One, an all 2-row grain bill with Magnum for bittering and a bunch of Nelson Sauvin hops added late in the boil, here as a whirlpool addition and then dry hop and then I'll make a pilsner with 830 and a bunch of Saaz added late/whirlpool/dry hop. I want to make sure I know whether to stir for the 15 mins or just steep with the lid on. Cheers Beerheads & enjoy your first NFL Sunday of the season.

#29 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

I stirred for the 15 mins. I know for certain that provides what I wanted.

#30 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I stirred for the 15 mins. I know for certain that provides what I wanted.

I think this is the advantage to inline chilling. You can start to chill and all the while the hops are in contact with 175* or below wort.

#31 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

So, the hoptstand at 175F or less is instead of a 0 minute aroma addition or in addition to it?I like my plate chiller, so I could still use it but recirculate the wort back into the boil kettle until it's 175F or so (while also sanitizing the chiller), then let it settle for 15+ minutes, then chill away into the fermenter. Sounds like a plan.

#32 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

So, the hoptstand at 175F or less is instead of a 0 minute aroma addition or in addition to it?

For me, the 0 never did squat, so I'm replacing it with this.

#33 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

0 never did much for me either.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Okay, scratch the 0-minute addition and replace it w/the whirlpool addition. Check.

#35 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Would you really avoid a technique that gave better flavor, just because it decreased the quality of your hop cone?

Debatable.

I'll probably give it a shot. How much cold break are you seeing at 175? I'm hesistant because I don't want to get back to the pile of sludge that wouldn't form a cone when I used my IC to chill.

#36 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

I'll probably give it a shot. How much cold break are you seeing at 175?I'm hesistant because I don't want to get back to the pile of sludge that wouldn't form a cone when I used my IC to chill.

I haven't tried it. I do a hop stand differently, but I have often wondered if it would be better to chill it to <180°F to reduce volatilization and isomerization.It was more of a philosophical question. :)

#37 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

So, the hoptstand at 175F or less is instead of a 0 minute aroma addition or in addition to it?I like my plate chiller, so I could still use it but recirculate the wort back into the boil kettle until it's 175F or so (while also sanitizing the chiller), then let it settle for 15+ minutes, then chill away into the fermenter. Sounds like a plan.

I always circulate through my CFC back to the kettle.....I use leaf hops and a false bottom so It helps in filtering out cold break as well. Like you I will need to try moving my flame out addition to a 175F addition which should be easy enough to do.

Edited by Mindblock, 10 September 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#38 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

I'll probably give it a shot. How much cold break are you seeing at 175?I'm hesistant because I don't want to get back to the pile of sludge that wouldn't form a cone when I used my IC to chill.

Doesn't bother my system so Im not much help.

#39 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Dan, have you tried removing the IC after the chill, whirpool again and wait 10 min? That helps in my system (flat bottom BK).

#40 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Dan, have you tried removing the IC after the chill, whirpool again and wait 10 min? That helps in my system (flat bottom BK).

I always did that with the IC. My kettle is flat bottomed too. Maybe some of my problem was a gearmotor stirrer that ran while the IC did. Cooled fast but it may have been breaking up the cold break too.........For the last few months I dusted off the CFC and used a post chiller. I get a semi nice cone even with the element. Just a little concerned about some cold break crashing the party. I'll try it and just plan on an extra gallon if I don't get the cone. Won't get to try it for a while since I'm heading downstairs in a sec to prop some 1007 for an Alt. Don't think I'll be hitting that with a bunch of late hops. B)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users