#1 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87414 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

helped my buddy install his new rig for his bar this weekend and get the inaugural batch started. new rig has 4 large stainless fermenters and a big ass boiler for mash/etc. the whole system is by a company called Seidel. https://morebeerpro.com/search/103840/ I'm told by the MoreBeer rep that was on site Saturday that my friend took delivery of the first one sold in the USA, lemme tell ya, it is ####ING SWEET!!! he also has a glycol cooling system to maintain his fermenting temps. should end up being a sweet little deal for him.manufacturer says it is "rated" to handle 90lb grain bills, but they piloted a couple 110lb bills before it shipped to him to push its limits, more than enough for his typical 6%ABV house brews and should be able to match up with some of his bigger beers as well.https://www.rusticbrewing.comhe's still getting the bar area together but he's hoping to make his grand opening by around July 4th.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

that seems like quite a bit of money to invest up front for the batch size. how many fermentors does he have?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Is this a fancy BIAB system?

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how you can sparge with it. Interesting though.eta - can't believe it doesn't qualify for free shipping. B)

Edited by djinkc, 29 May 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#5 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87414 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

that seems like quite a bit of money to invest up front for the batch size. how many fermentors does he have?

see above, he has 4 of the fermentors.

#6 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87414 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

que??

#7 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87414 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how you can sparge with it. Interesting though.

he probably batch sparges... :D

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

que??

Brew In A Bag. Mash in bag, lift it out of the kettle, drain and boil. Essentially a no sparge.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

he probably batch sparges... :D

Traditional Sparging Optional Because of the constant movement of wort, the high ratio of liquid in the mash and the unique grain bed filters, the efficiency of removing sugar from the mash is good. This eliminates the need for a traditional sparge. However when you shift from Mashing to the boil by lifting the grain bed out of the tank you can rinse the grain with hot water, performing a more traditional sparge if desired.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

how do these guys survive making such small batches?

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

I know a homebrewer with a bigger system :frantic:

#12 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87414 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Brew In A Bag. Mash in bag, lift it out of the kettle, drain and boil. Essentially a no sparge.

well, not a bag, but a large stainless cylinder with a perf'd bottom and it seals against the bottom of the boiler, its interesting to see actually.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

90lbs of grain? That sucks. I use 32+ just to make DCRIPA 10 gallons. I could only make 1BBL of that at a time with that system. Might as well get a big ass cooler and save some dough. Basically he's only gonna get 1-2bbl per brew. Also, he can't brew back to back very easily because his mash tun is also the kettle. Ingredient costs are gonna be higher too.This must be for a brew pub and he must not expect to go bigger.

#14 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Paw Paw Brewing has been brewing 2 bbl batches pretty much 5 days a week for the last year on a Sabco brew magic system. Head brewer does 3 batches back-to-back-to-back during his shift then the assistant brewer comes in and does the same thing. All that wort goes into a large plastic conical and gets wheeled into a cold room to ferment. That's a lot of work for 2 bbls of beer.Beach

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

90lbs of grain? That sucks. I use 32+ just to make DCRIPA 10 gallons. I could only make 1BBL of that at a time with that system. Might as well get a big ass cooler and save some dough. Basically he's only gonna get 1-2bbl per brew. Also, he can't brew back to back very easily because his mash tun is also the kettle. Ingredient costs are gonna be higher too.This must be for a brew pub and he must not expect to go bigger.

a brew pub where most people don't drink the beer made on premises.

#16 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87414 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

its a bar (no foods), he's not going to be bottling and will have only to keep enough on hand to supply his 4-5 taps, all bottled beer will be available, he tells me that he very specifically wants to keep in the tradition of using predominately WI brewed beers to augment his own tapped stuff. he figures he'll be getting ahead on his brewing up front, he's got like 45 - 10 gal kegs for the taps and a walk-in in the rear for storage. says he'll try to get all his kegs filled prior to opening then work on "maintenance" brewing to keep them filled.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

Paw Paw Brewing has been brewing 2 bbl batches pretty much 5 days a week for the last year on a Sabco brew magic system. Head brewer does 3 batches back-to-back-to-back during his shift then the assistant brewer comes in and does the same thing. All that wort goes into a large plastic conical and gets wheeled into a cold room to ferment. That's a lot of work for 2 bbls of beer.Beach

6 batches for 2 barrels? They are brewing on a 10 gal system? That's just crazy. They could be brewing 1bbl at a time for $1500.

#18 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

he sunk a lot of money into that system so I hope he had enough left for a redundancy plan (plan B if you will) if that thing should break.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

he sunk a lot of money into that system so I hope he had enough left for a redundancy plan (plan B if you will) if that thing should break.

What does any other brewery do? Save up for another system. It's tough to be redundant in a small brewery.

#20 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

6 batches for 2 barrels? They are brewing on a 10 gal system? That's just crazy. They could be brewing 1bbl at a time for $1500.

Last time I was up there (a few months ago) they said they will be opening a new brew house soon. Something like15-20 bbls. kegdude or breakpoint may know more, pretty much their back yard.Beach

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fermenting, mashing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users