#541 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:32 AM

I thought his BIAB set up was with a 25G kettle. That may be a bit big for 5g batches.

Yeah, 5 would be tough. 10 is probably fine. I could just get a smaller kettle, too.

#542 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:21 AM

Yeah, 5 would be tough. 10 is probably fine. I could just get a smaller kettle, too.

make 10-15 gallons of base wort, split, and then steep different specialty grains in some of them.  boom! 2-3 beers for the price of one :D

disclaimer:  I've never tried this

#543 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Doing a festbier tomorrow.  I know, I'm late to the game...   But I have a ton of fresh H17 yeast I wanna keep rollin'.  

80/20 pils/munich   30 IBU's      OG 1.060, hopefully. 

#544 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

Cider day today. My wife has been picking our apples for the last couple weeks. We're gonna press them today and start fermenting. Hope to get 10 gal. In Nov. The crabapple tree will be ready so we'll make another batch then.

#545 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:23 AM

Doing a festbier tomorrow.  I know, I'm late to the game...   But I have a ton of fresh H17 yeast I wanna keep rollin'.  

80/20 pils/munich   30 IBU's      OG 1.060, hopefully. 

Pete, I've always said that a Festbier is too nice of a style to only have for a few weeks in the fall.  I have this Big Bark on tap right now which sort of served as my Oktoberfest over the last couple weeks.  But I also have a stab at Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen cold and kegged and I made my standard festbier (65/35 pils/Munich 2 with one hop addition at the start of the boil) and that's waiting in the on-deck fridge too.  So I will have festbier for a LOOOONG time.  :lol:  Cheers.

#546 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:04 PM

The extract porter is almost carbed up.  Pretty good to my tastes, a bit more carbing will definitely do it some good but I can't complain at all with this beer.

#547 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

We pressed 17 gal. of cider yesterday. About 12 gal. fermenting, split between 1450 and Nottingham.

#548 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:39 PM

We pressed 17 gal. of cider yesterday. About 12 gal. fermenting, split between 1450 and Nottingham.

freezing the other 5? blending with the crabs?

how many pounds per gallon do you figure on?

#549 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:28 AM

Kegging 2 batches tomorrow and Tuesday (a rather big, 8% porter tomorrow and a clone of Great Lakes' Burning River Ale on Tuesday), then making this on Wednesday, an English IPA:

10lb Maris Otter

2lb Munich

0.5lb C-40

0.5lb wheat

2 oz Pilgrim (pellet), 90 min

2 oz First Gold (pellet), 10 min

1oz EKG (pellet), 5 min

1oz EKG (pellet), 20-min hopstand

Shooting for an OG of ~1.070 and ~60-ish IBU's for 5.5 gal going into the primary.

A fresh slurry of WY1028 London Ale will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

#550 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:48 AM

freezing the other 5? blending with the crabs?

how many pounds per gallon do you figure on?

Freezing the other 5 for juice.  I have no idea on the lb. per gal.  We don't do any measurement of how much we start with.

#551 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:52 PM

The extract porter is almost carbed up. Pretty good to my tastes, a bit more carbing will definitely do it some good but I can't complain at all with this beer.

The extract SIPA turned out pretty nice, too. I think I can ride this extract brewing wave for a bit. :)

#552 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:24 PM

Got a pilsner into the fermenter today. Hope the brewing dry spell is over.

#553 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:38 PM

Got a pilsner into the fermenter today. Hope the brewing dry spell is over.

Nice work. I hope so too.

#554 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

Strike water is heating! Been over a year...not as long as my last break, but it'll still be fun remembering how I was supposed to do it after it's too late, lol.

I'm probably being overly ambitious, but am doing a split batch of NEIPA's in my large cooler (15 gal cube) and a small batch in the 5 gallon. Figure I may as well make as much as possible while I've got the gear set up.

Small batch (4.5 gal):

5# Mecca Munich

2# Opal 22

2# Opal 44

1 oz. Eukanot at 30 min (doing just a 30 min boil)

1 oz. Calypso at flame out

Omega Gulo yeast

Big batch (16 gal):

29# Golden Promise

2# flaked oats

2# Mecca red wheat

2# Mecca white wheat

5 oz. ea. Eukanot/Calypso/NZ Pacifica/Mandarina at flame out.

Repeat when wort gets below 180

4 carboys, 4 gal each - Omega Tropical/Voss Kviek/Hothead & Imperial Citrus yeast respectively.

Each to be dry hopped with one of the 4 hops used throughout.

Have some MIghty Ax hops (2 oz ea. of Julius & Tropica) that I may add during fermentation to see what the biotransformation thing is about.

Wish me luck, lol.

#555 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

Strike water is heating! Been over a year...not as long as my last break, but it'll still be fun remembering how I was supposed to do it after it's too late, lol.

I'm probably being overly ambitious, but am doing a split batch of NEIPA's in my large cooler (15 gal cube) and a small batch in the 5 gallon. Figure I may as well make as much as possible while I've got the gear set up.

Small batch (4.5 gal):

5# Mecca Munich

2# Opal 22

2# Opal 44

1 oz. Eukanot at 30 min (doing just a 30 min boil)

1 oz. Calypso at flame out

Omega Gulo yeast

Big batch (16 gal):

29# Golden Promise

2# flaked oats

2# Mecca red wheat

2# Mecca white wheat

5 oz. ea. Eukanot/Calypso/NZ Pacifica/Mandarina at flame out.

Repeat when wort gets below 180

4 carboys, 4 gal each - Omega Tropical/Voss Kviek/Hothead & Imperial Citrus yeast respectively.

Each to be dry hopped with one of the 4 hops used throughout.

Have some MIghty Ax hops (2 oz ea. of Julius & Tropica) that I may add during fermentation to see what the biotransformation thing is about.

Wish me luck, lol.

Why both red and white wheat?

#556 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

Why both red and white wheat?

When I looking at the amount of base grain, the percentage of oats/wheat felt a little low. Then had a twitch response...I had bought both mecca wheats to check out, and threw them in rather than buying more regular wheat at the lbhs.

I figure if I like the other beer w/all mecca malt, I'd buy more of the wheat for future usage.

#557 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

When I looking at the amount of base grain, the percentage of oats/wheat felt a little low. Then had a twitch response...I had bought both mecca wheats to check out, and threw them in rather than buying more regular wheat at the lbhs.

I figure if I like the other beer w/all mecca malt, I'd buy more of the wheat for future usage.

Fun fact...most of the red wheat Seth grows goes to Japan to make noodles

#558 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

Brewing a fairly big stout tomorrow, before our new flooring install starts next week.

10lb Pils

2lb flaked barley

1lb roasted barley

1lb C-40

Magnum to bitter, and some whole Centennials for some late additions.  Shooting for ~1.075+ for 5.5 gal into the primary (for an abv in the neighborhood of 8%) and ~70 IBUs.

A fresh slurry of Wy1028 London Ale will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

#559 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

I went to the LHBS the other day and got some stuff without really having a recipe in mind.  I picked up a packet of WLP002 and WLP833.  What do you guys think I should make?  I'm leaning toward a dunkel with the 833, but maybe  a dortmunder?  no thoughts yet on the 002.

#560 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

I went to the LHBS the other day and got some stuff without really having a recipe in mind. I picked up a packet of WLP002 and WLP833. What do you guys think I should make? I'm leaning toward a dunkel with the 833, but maybe a dortmunder? no thoughts yet on the 002.

Dunkel for sure and what about a Stout with the 002.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users