#581 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:44 PM

Gonna do a bock on the Pico Z this weekend.

#582 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

Strike water is heating! Been over a year...not as long as my last break, but it'll still be fun remembering how I was supposed to do it after it's too late, lol.

I'm probably being overly ambitious, but am doing a split batch of NEIPA's in my large cooler (15 gal cube) and a small batch in the 5 gallon. Figure I may as well make as much as possible while I've got the gear set up.

Small batch (4.5 gal):

5# Mecca Munich

2# Opal 22

2# Opal 44

1 oz. Eukanot at 30 min (doing just a 30 min boil)

1 oz. Calypso at flame out

Omega Gulo yeast

Big batch (16 gal):

29# Golden Promise

2# flaked oats

2# Mecca red wheat

2# Mecca white wheat

5 oz. ea. Eukanot/Calypso/NZ Pacifica/Mandarina at flame out.

Repeat when wort gets below 180

4 carboys, 4 gal each - Omega Tropical/Voss Kviek/Hothead & Imperial Citrus yeast respectively.

Each to be dry hopped with one of the 4 hops used throughout.

Have some MIghty Ax hops (2 oz ea. of Julius & Tropica) that I may add during fermentation to see what the biotransformation thing is about.

Wish me luck, lol.

A week later than planned, but finally kegged. Hydrometer sample tasting:

NEIPA 1 - Actually a double, slightly vegetal & bighty, but not bad. OG 1080 FG 1.010  9.29% abv. 2 oz. MIghty Axe Julius dry hops. Imperial Citrus yeast fermented on the warm end. 1 oz. Eukanot cryo hops at day 3 of fermentation.

NEIPA 2: due to various process errors due to being rusty, had to water it down, (OG 1.047) more of an apa - finished very dry (1.008) & thin. 5.13% abv. Meh. Only ended w/2 beers rather than 4. Omega Tropical yeast, fermented warmer than recommended (not on purpose...have I mentioned I'm rusty?)

Mecca Munich ale - finished slightly dry (OG 1056 FG 1.095 abv 6.06) , but nicely malty. Aftertaste of fresh baked bread, slightly toasty. Look forward to seeing how it goes carbed & cool. Omega Gulo yeast, fermented on the warm end. Used 1 oz MIghty Ax Tropica at flame out rather than the Calypso planned.

Lots of things went wrong, but I'm feeling lucky that 2 out of 3 ain't bad. (cue Meatloaf reference...)

#583 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:32 AM

Also cleaned 12 kegs that had been sitting a decade. That took several hours, but at least will be ready for future brews; may also convert a couple to fermenters.

Brewing would be a much better hobby if it weren't for all the cleaning & sanitizing!

#584 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:17 AM

that only took a few hours???  you want to come over to my house and do some cleaning?

#585 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:49 AM

that only took a few hours???  you want to come over to my house and do some cleaning?

I had a pretty good assembly line going...start the boil kettle w/15 gal water & while it's heating fill all the kegs from the hose to soften up the gunk. Remove all the poppets & lids & put in a separate bucket w/hot caustic.

Once boiling, fill 2 kegs & add caustic. Let it soak a bit, scrub & transfer to the next two kegs. Rinse the first 2, pull 2 sets of poppets & lids,rinse, reassemble (had to replace a few o rings), add sanitizer & pressurize w/co2. When the next two are ready, transfer sanitizer from the first 2 w/co2 so they're purged & ready for beer. Repeat.

Maybe not ideal as by the end the water was only warm rather than boiling, but all the crud came off. 

I guess counting boil time & the time the caustic sat in each keg, it was over 5 hours but as I was doing other things I didn't count that time as much.

#586 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

Did it!  Managed to brew a kinda bock while I edited the podcast.  Gotta love the Z!

#587 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:53 AM

Starting my mis-en-place for an Alt on Sunday morning, pils, munich and a splash each C60, Chocolate and Carafa II.  Magnum up front, Tett and Mitt at the end.  Big slurry of 1728 with a very cold ferment :)  Yea, 1728 ;)

#588 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:41 AM

I have a pale ale with 1099 carbing and my version of Big Bark Amber Lager (w/Diamond yeast) fermenting now... it's probably close to done. I have a Blonde Ale planned for either tomorrow or Friday with the 1099, Northern Brewer and a mix of Glacier and Loral.  I think I posted the recipe here or in the "I can't make clear beer" thread.  :P  Cheers peeps.  

#589 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:43 AM

I have a slurry of S-189 from the pils I kegged last weekend.  I was thinking Dunkle but then Ken mentioned Big Bark and I remember wanted to give that a shot.  

#590 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:06 AM

I have a slurry of S-189 from the pils I kegged last weekend.  I was thinking Dunkle but then Ken mentioned Big Bark and I remember wanted to give that a shot.  

Easy beer.  Vienna, Munich 2 and Hallertau.  I think it would come out nicely with S-189 but I have to say that it's a nice beer for the character of 2124/3470/Diamond to come through because it's so simple.  If you thought DUNKEL, go for it and wait until you have one of those other yeasts running.  On this latest batch I did 60/40 Vienna/Munich 2.

Also, I wanted to mention something subtle:  On the LO board, many brewers mention how Euro breweries (specifically Czech and German) don't use hops during the last 30m of the boil.  I made a few beers that way that came out very good and I kept that piece of information in my head during recipe design... depending on the recipe.  Here, this Big Bark is "inspired by the beers of Vienna" and it has a shot of Hallertau added at flameout and I think it absolutely MAKES this beer especially if you allow the beer to lager for the six weeks that the brewer suggested.  It's an ounce of low-alpha noble hops so it's not going to blow your socks off but it does add a dimension of balance and it helps dry the finish a bit after all of that malty beer sits on your tongue.  I realize this is an AMERICAN beer so that 30m rule may not apply but it's inspired by beers of Vienna and tells us that some guidelines can be overlooked with great results.  Cheers.

#591 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:18 AM

Brewed an Altbier on Sunday during the overnight. the brewing process was a breeze , and hit all my numbers on the nose. the last time i did one- about 5 or 6 years ago, wasn't impressed- but, this was before i got serious about water chemistry and pH. Have high hopes for this one. 

#592 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:25 AM

Brewed an Altbier on Sunday during the overnight. the brewing process was a breeze , and hit all my numbers on the nose. the last time i did one- about 5 or 6 years ago, wasn't impressed- but, this was before i got serious about water chemistry and pH. Have high hopes for this one. 

When you have a moment, please post this one in the recipe forum.  I too have tried Altbiers with varying degrees of success but I'm not sure I have ever had my doors blown off by one that I have made.  Cheers and thanks.  

#593 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:34 AM

When you have a moment, please post this one in the recipe forum.  I too have tried Altbiers with varying degrees of success but I'm not sure I have ever had my doors blown off by one that I have made.  Cheers and thanks.  

I'll type it up in a few minutes. 

#594 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

Okay, I'm actually brewing this afternoon.  The schedule is a little weird and all three of my kids are coming in for Tgiving so I need to get it out of the way.  Blonde Ale with 1099 (below) and it's supposed to be 56°, gray, windy, rainy here today which could be much worse.  The next beer after that will be another Lallemand Diamond lager.  Cheers.

blonde-ale.png

#595 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

I love it when I can envision just how poundable a beer will be.  ^^ I see this in my belly.

#596 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:09 AM

I love it when I can envision just how poundable a beer will be.  ^^ I see this in my belly.

Get in muh bellah!  I have a vision of it and I hope it's as I expect.  Pale, balanced with a bit of hop finesse at the end but not much, hopefully slightly crisp and with that great bready character from the 1099.  After this I'm going to make that Pinthouse Pizza Fog thing.  NOT!  :lol:

#597 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:37 AM

I may or may not have ordered 10# GP, 5# wheat malt, 1450, 1469 and some fresh tubing this morning from RiteBrew.

#598 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

I may or may not have ordered 10# GP, 5# wheat malt, 1450, 1469 and some fresh tubing this morning from RiteBrew.

Atta boy.  :P

#599 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:49 AM

If really like to make something soon but if have to store some beer at cellar temps instead of fridge temps. Not sure cold it is down there right now....

#600 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

If really like to make something soon but if have to store some beer at cellar temps instead of fridge temps. Not sure cold it is down there right now....

Porter or stout would be good at cellar temps... Assuming it is in the 50's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users