positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:48 PM

Porter or stout would be good at cellar temps... Assuming it is in the 50's

yeah - darkest things I've got right now is the smokey brown followed by the darker than expected red ale.  really just needs to be stored at basement temps.  serving not required.

#602 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

Okay, wort is in the fermenter.  The 1099 looked and smelled great.  The wort produced by this grain bill was pale.  I thought maybe the GP would give it a bit of darker color but I feel like the beer is going to be good.  I really need to brew a lot over the next 3 weeks or so because all of my kids will be back for winter break.  I can't really brew now for about the next 10 days because of all the thanksgiving festivities, my daughter's birthday, my dad's birthday, etc. but the week after next I'm going to continue and stock up.  

#603 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:08 PM

GP is probably my favorite malt for ales.  

#604 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

Well, I was hoping to do my last outdoor session tomorrow. 100% chance of rain. :(

Looks like Monday will be better: low 50's and dry. Hopefully little wind to blow the propane heat away.

I'm doing a RIS... 13 gallons of it. Wondering what to do with the partigyle. 55% efficiency on 70 pounds of grain leaves a lot of sugar.

Thinking a light stout or braggot. One possibility is to top the tun with a bunch of oats. Any suggestions guys?

Presently waiting for the foam to subside in the bucket from the CIP rig on my conical.

Tomorrow, I'll break the glycol loop and insert that 12" Tri-clove spool I bought from brewers hardware.

I have 6' of pipe heater tape that I'm going to wrap around it. The basement is getting too cold for the ale yeasts to do their thing.

So hopefully it all works well.

Edited by Stout_fan, 21 November 2019 - 06:52 PM.

#605 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

Basement is currently 52f. Should be okay for storage so maybe I'll get my shit tougher and brew.

#606 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:22 AM

Basement is currently 52f. Should be okay for storage so maybe I'll get my shit tougher and brew.

I think it will be fine. I do the same when mine gets to that temperature.

#607 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:19 AM

GP is probably my favorite malt for ales.  

Ditto!

Brewing a tropical stout this weekend. Base malt GP & going to give the Simpsons drc a try.

#608 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:40 AM

I'm doing some rapid-fire batches.  This blonde with 1099 got off to a really quick start and fermented strong at about 60° from Friday morning until last night.  This morning it has slowed down.  I sent the batch of Big Bark (9 days in the fermenter) to the keg this morning and harvested the Diamond yeast... it has a very nice aroma.  My one son is home already and my daughter is arriving tomorrow night and my other son on Tuesday so I'm sneaking in a Monday afternoon brew session tomorrow with a sort of American Lager (pils, vienna, carahell, Hallertau, Diamond, 5%, 25ish IBUs).  I'm going to alternate between 1099 and Diamond and hopefully make a total of 8-9 batches with them and get a supply ready for when they're home over winter break.  My older son can kill some beer.  :D  Cheers peeps.

#609 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

What's worse than a thermometer you don't trust? When you get a couple of backup thermometers and have 3 different readings ranging from 148 to 160 in your mash. All good...it'll be beer.

Broke a carboy already; luckily was wearing work gloves.

Tropical Stout; 4 gallons

9# GP

3/4# Simpsons DRC

3/4# Simpsons dark crystal

1/2# roasted barley

1/2# flaked barley

1/4# Simpsons extra dark crystal

1/4# lactose

1 oz. Amarillo 60 min

1 oz. Galaxy at flameout

Hornindal Kviek yeast

OG 1.082 projected

IBU 45

SRM 38.5 (thinking about capping it in the sparge with 1/4# midnight wheat to darken it up a little more.)

#610 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

I bought this pretty inexpensive one for my parents and checked it against my thermopen and while it's a little slower it's pretty much just as accurate.

eta link: https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Zsasz, 24 November 2019 - 10:35 AM.

#611 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:11 PM

What's worse than a thermometer you don't trust? When you get a couple of backup thermometers and have 3 different readings ranging from 148 to 160 in your mash. All good...it'll be beer.

Broke a carboy already; luckily was wearing work gloves.

Tropical Stout; 4 gallons

9# GP

3/4# Simpsons DRC

3/4# Simpsons dark crystal

1/2# roasted barley

1/2# flaked barley

1/4# Simpsons extra dark crystal

1/4# lactose

1 oz. Amarillo 60 min

1 oz. Galaxy at flameout

Hornindal Kviek yeast

OG 1.082 projected

IBU 45

SRM 38.5 (thinking about capping it in the sparge with 1/4# midnight wheat to darken it up a little more.)

Nice.  Sorry about the carboy.  I have broken a few and I think I still have a scar on my right thumb from one.  Brutal.  If you're okay parting with $79 (ish... sometimes there are specials, open-box reduced-rate sales, etc) get a Thermapen.  I have one and I absolutely love it.  At some point it was acting wacky so I sent it back to them and they repaired it and gave me a 50% off for another one... so now I have two.  :P  At some point I decided that I didn't like not knowing the temp and if I kept buying $8 probe thermos that didn't work I would eventually spend $80 so I just spent the $80 and got it over with.  Same with the pH meter.  Those two items are probably the two biggest-ticket items I have in my toolbox.  Cheers.

#612 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for the leads...I want so many toys. ph meter, thermapen, blichman beer gun, all in one electric system like grainfather/anvil, stainless steel fermentors. lol

#613 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

Super smooth brewday today and my customers (mostly) left me alone.  Brewed this...

gold-lager-2019.png

#614 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:26 AM

^^ 10 please

#615 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:39 AM

Super smooth brewday today and my customers (mostly) left me alone.  Brewed this...

The beer I posted in the picture thread is very similar to this.  I only had 11% Vienna though and hops at 15,10 and 5 to go with the 30 and 0.  Pretty much one of my standard lager beers that I just change up the hops in.  Always turns out nice.

#616 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:15 AM

making some old school APA right now with zero prep ahead of time so it will be a busy day!

#617 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:17 AM

making some old school APA right now with zero prep ahead of time so it will be a busy day!

On my way into work I was thinking about that Oatmeal Pale Ale we collaborated on years ago.  Found my recipe and the thread for it.  I may have to give that another go in early 2020.  Bring back the old school!

#618 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

On my way into work I was thinking about that Oatmeal Pale Ale we collaborated on years ago.  Found my recipe and the thread for it.  I may have to give that another go in early 2020.  Bring back the old school!

that would be a fun one to bring back for sure!

16lbs 2-row, 4lbs vienna, 2lbs flaked oats, 1.5lbs C40

then all C hops (chinook, columbus, cascade, cent)

says I used 1272 which I don't even remember ever using!

#619 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:44 AM

that would be a fun one to bring back for sure!

16lbs 2-row, 4lbs vienna, 2lbs flaked oats, 1.5lbs C40

then all C hops (chinook, columbus, cascade, cent)

says I used 1272 which I don't even remember ever using!

My sheet ways WLP001 but I am not certain.

#620 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:13 AM

My sheet ways WLP001 but I am not certain.

we may have diverged on the yeast.  could have been I already had some fresh 1272 or something.  if the BRY-97 works out okay for me seems like it would be a good candidate for the remake of this beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users