#522 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25576 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:51 PM

Did not brew, but I finally got around to bottling my English Pale Ale. https://brews-bros.c...glish-pale-ale/

Could have bottled it over a month ago, but some vacation and an inconvenient medical emergency delayed it.

Everything went wrong today. My regular bottling bucket leaked. I reworked it and installed a new plastic valve, that had some dumb vent hole in it that introduced bubbles into my beer. My bottle wand went bad, the back failed. I ended up using a racking cane and a bare hose. I had to lose some beer when going form one bottle to the next. It is what worked without putting air into the. Probably wasted 2 or 3 beers. I chose quality over volume.

#523 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:38 AM

Did not brew, but I finally got around to bottling my English Pale Ale. https://brews-bros.c...glish-pale-ale/

Could have bottled it over a month ago, but some vacation and an inconvenient medical emergency delayed it.

Everything went wrong today. My regular bottling bucket leaked. I reworked it and installed a new plastic valve, that had some dumb vent hole in it that introduced bubbles into my beer. My bottle wand went bad, the back failed. I ended up using a racking cane and a bare hose. I had to lose some beer when going form one bottle to the next. It is what worked without putting air into the. Probably wasted 2 or 3 beers. I chose quality over volume.

take this as a sign that you should keg everything :D

#524 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25576 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:00 AM

take this as a sign that you should keg everything :D

If I had more money and more space . . . . .

#525 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19045 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:53 AM

I did a couple of batches this summer, but being slowed by family stuff, hunting (upcoming), etc. Have the ingredients for an oatmeal stout which I hopefully will get brewed in the next 6 weeks. I brew all year, weather permitting, but weather doesn't always permit. 

#526 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:46 AM

If I had more money and more space . . . . .

do you not keg at all?

do you live in an apt or one of those tiny houses I see on TV?

the equipment to make it happen isn't crazy expensive in my opinion.  one of the big ones is the CO2 tank and regulator but you can find a lot of the other stuff reasonably cheap if you are willing to hunt.

#527 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

Hooray.  It sounds like beer might flow.   :chug:

Well, beer got transferred, at least.  Added another ounce of Citra to the APA/IPA-thing.  I realized my kegs are 3 gallons, not 2.5g.  I'll need to adjust future recipes.  I spent a lot of time digging through boxes to find everything needed to transfer and keg the beer.  I'm surprised I was able to do so without having to make a LHBS or hardware store run.  

#528 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

American premium lager scheduled for tomorrow.  Our new flooring arrives on Wednesday a.m., so this will be the last brewday for the next month or so, since said flooring will take up residence in our garage for a couple of weeks until installation.

Grist will be 91% pils, w/ 9% corn, for an OG of ~1.060 for 5.5 gal in the primary.

Magnum (whole) to bitter, with 3 late additions of Mt. Hood for flavor/aroma/hopstand, for ~45-50 IBUs total.

A fresh slurry of 34/70 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

#529 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

I plan to brew on friday but I haven't formulated a recipe yet :P

I'm thinking of maybe doing something with MO, 2-row, carared and maybe a little bit of crystal 15.  I'll then hop it similar to denny's rye ipa (columbus and mt. hood).  yeast will be the drez S-09 (US-05 and S-04 pitched together).

#530 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:54 AM

Aside from installing a splitter on my CO2 tank, my next brewing activity is going to be organizing stuff so my brew day is a bit less hectic.  Since I'm planning on sticking with 3g extract batches for now it should be pretty easy to get everything together in an efficient package for brew day.  I've been debating on whether I want to finally put together the 15g BIAB system I had mostly complete when I stopped brewing.  At this point 15g seems like such an epic volume of beer to have on hand.  I'd probably only have to brew twice a year to cover my consumption, maybe three times?  Maybe that's better than doing 10-15 3 g batches but it obviously takes a lot of ability for variety out of the picture.  Tough call.  Regardless, I definitely need to pare down on brewing stuff.  I have a ridiculous amount of stuff built up over the years that will never be used.

#531 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:59 AM

Aside from installing a splitter on my CO2 tank, my next brewing activity is going to be organizing stuff so my brew day is a bit less hectic.  Since I'm planning on sticking with 3g extract batches for now it should be pretty easy to get everything together in an efficient package for brew day.  I've been debating on whether I want to finally put together the 15g BIAB system I had mostly complete when I stopped brewing.  At this point 15g seems like such an epic volume of beer to have on hand.  I'd probably only have to brew twice a year to cover my consumption, maybe three times?  Maybe that's better than doing 10-15 3 g batches but it obviously takes a lot of ability for variety out of the picture.  Tough call.  Regardless, I definitely need to pare down on brewing stuff.  I have a ridiculous amount of stuff built up over the years that will never be used.

5 gal would be as low as I would go.  at my current consumption I'd have to brew every 2 weeks if I was making 3 gallon batches.

#532 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:55 AM

5 gal would be as low as I would go.  at my current consumption I'd have to brew every 2 weeks if I was making 3 gallon batches.

Well, considering I'm only doing extract at the moment, brewing more often isn't a ton of effort.  Brewing 3g full boil extract on the stovetop is super easy.  I'll probably need to do one batch every 3-4 weeks.  I could maybe do one 15g batch of a recipe that will handle age better then fill in the gaps with 3g batches.

Edited by JKor, 08 October 2019 - 03:56 AM.

#533 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:25 AM

I have a set up I rarely use that allowed me to make 10 gallon batches.  I soon realized that I didn't want 10 gallons of anything because my taste for different beers is very strong.  I don't even have a definitive "go-to" at the grocery store when picking up a 6 or a rack.  Always changes.  5 gallon batches work perfect for me.

#534 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:29 AM

I drink a lot of sessions IPA over the summer.  I could probably do a 15g batch in May and finish by September.  Otherwise i don't think there's a beer I would want to drink 15g of in a year.  I've been buying 4 packs of different stuff every time I go to the beer store for the last few years.  There are very few repeat purchases.  And to this day there are maybe 2-3 recipes I've brewed more than once.  I'm a big fan of beer variety.

#535 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:34 AM

it doesn't have to be 3 gal or 15 gal.  you could probably make 10 or maybe even 5 in your 15 gal setup.  based on what you posted before though it sounded like you wanted to settle on one set of equipment.  maybe I read that wrong.

#536 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:40 AM

it doesn't have to be 3 gal or 15 gal.  you could probably make 10 or maybe even 5 in your 15 gal setup.  based on what you posted before though it sounded like you wanted to settle on one set of equipment.  maybe I read that wrong.

I thought his BIAB set up was with a 25G kettle.  That may be a bit big for 5g batches.  

#537 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25576 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:48 AM

do you not keg at all?

do you live in an apt or one of those tiny houses I see on TV?

the equipment to make it happen isn't crazy expensive in my opinion.  one of the big ones is the CO2 tank and regulator but you can find a lot of the other stuff reasonably cheap if you are willing to hunt.

No kegging. I do not brew and do not drink enough to justify it right now. I end up giving away beer. About the only acceptable place for me to put taps would be in the garage. Not going to do that right now.

#538 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:26 AM

No kegging. I do not brew and do not drink enough to justify it right now. I end up giving away beer. About the only acceptable place for me to put taps would be in the garage. Not going to do that right now.

you just need to claim part of the fridge in your kitchen.  picnic tap.  good to go! :D

#539 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25576 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

you just need to claim part of the fridge in your kitchen.  picnic tap.  good to go! :D

What color is the sky in your world?

#540 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

What color is the sky in your world?

Depends how many pints I've had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic