683 replies to this topic

#501 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

Imperial Harvest, L17, should be the "same" as Omega Bayern.

Ah, good to know Drez.  I was just thinking about which lager strain I might use after I do a run of ales.  I considered Omega Bayern or maybe something I haven't tried but then I remembered the conversation we had about the Lallemand Diamond and thought I might take that for a ride at some point just to see how it is.  So many options.  Cheers.

#502 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:45 AM

All mis-en-place done for a tradional'ish 3711 Saison on Saturday :)

#503 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 September 2019 - 02:00 AM

I'm planning to do a couple of 2.5g batches this week.  Session IPA and a robust porter.  Looking for easy as possible, so this will be extract batches.  Everything on the stovetop.  I don't want to have to dig through all my packed away equipment so there will likely be a notable lack of monitoring, readings, etc.  Boil, chill, pitch, drink.  Not much outside that.

I've brewed once since 2015 so there could be some issues...

First two brews going good so far.  The Session finished at 1.008, dryhopping now.  The porter is at 1.013 and will get kegged at some point this week.  Both of the hydro samples tasted nice, I'm pretty excited to see how these turn out.

#504 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:23 AM

First two brews going good so far.  The Session finished at 1.008, dryhopping now.  The porter is at 1.013 and will get kegged at some point this week.  Both of the hydro samples tasted nice, I'm pretty excited to see how these turn out.

Denny had indicated that the extract batches he did for his Rye IPA were better than early extract batches because of more knowledge.  I have to agree.  The NEIPA I have on tap, while not my best NEIPA, is hard to tell it is extract.  I am not sure I could pick it out if I did not know.

#505 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:03 AM

Yeah, extract brewing most commonly coincides with the time when you are also inexperienced at brewing.  It's not surprising that extract brewing gets associated with subpar homebrew.  There's no obvious reason, to me, that you can't make really good extract beer if you know how to use the ingredients.  The biggest question i have is the difference between steeping grain and mashing grain.  The variation in flavor from one method to the other is not clear to me.

#506 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

I had the most successful Saturday Saison.  Mashed in Friday late afternoon and got to boil by 8am.  I had full focus on Saturday which means every step I took, both literally and figuratively streamlined the whole process.  I've taken steps to chill the batch quicker in spite of the spirit crushing heat of south Florida.  Takes just an hour to get to the 60's which is good for me.  All equipment needs were at arms reach and within 12 hours of pitching a very healthy batch of 3711 I had lift off.  I'm excited to see what this yeast brings to the party.  It's still going strong and I'd guess I'll go from 1.060 down to 002-004. 

Setting up during the week and thinking through the process through performing the brewing session is key to my success of late.  Then again on other brew days I step on my toes the whole time haha.

Cheers. 

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG, Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM, Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBUs, Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %, Boil Time: 40 Minutes

9 lbs             Pilsner      
1 lbs             Barke Munich (10.0 SRM)    
1 lbs             Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)      
6.0 oz            Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)    
4.0 oz            Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L       
7.5 oz            Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM)      Sugar            
4.5 oz            Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)  Sugar            
1.00 oz           Mandarina Bavaria [10.70 %] - 30 min boil 29.0 IBUs   
0.30 oz           Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins)                   
1.50 oz           Celeia [3.00 %] - Whirlpool    
1.00 oz           Hallertau Blanc [8.50 %] Whirlpool    
1.00 oz           Mandarina Bavaria [10.70 %] Whirlpool    
2 L Starter       French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711)            

#507 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

What do you guys think for dryhopping the APA?  (2.5g batch) I have 1oz of Citra in there now and another oz in the fridge.  Should I use it?  2oz in 2.5g seems like it may be a bit much.

#508 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

Citra is a smooth-enough hop that you can toss in another oz without a problem.

#509 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

What do you guys think for dryhopping the APA?  (2.5g batch) I have 1oz of Citra in there now and another oz in the fridge.  Should I use it?  2oz in 2.5g seems like it may be a bit much.

1-1.5oz per gallon is my usual amount.  2oz would be fine.

The IPA I have on tap now had 9.6oz for the dh in two stages - 4.5g batch.

#510 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

Ah, good to know Drez.  I was just thinking about which lager strain I might use after I do a run of ales.  I considered Omega Bayern or maybe something I haven't tried but then I remembered the conversation we had about the Lallemand Diamond and thought I might take that for a ride at some point just to see how it is.  So many options.  Cheers.

Got a Diamond Lager beer cold crashing now.  VERY nice yeast!

Denny had indicated that the extract batches he did for his Rye IPA were better than early extract batches because of more knowledge.  I have to agree.  The NEIPA I have on tap, while not my best NEIPA, is hard to tell it is extract.  I am not sure I could pick it out if I did not know.

Absolutely.  It's lack of experience that seems to be the culprit rather than ingredients.  I have judged BOS rounds where an extract beer was the winner.

#511 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

Got a Diamond Lager beer cold crashing now.  VERY nice yeast!

Absolutely.  It's lack of experience that seems to be the culprit rather than ingredients.  I have judged BOS rounds where an extract beer was the winner.

I got a package of that Diamond lager yeast I am thinking of using in a simple Rye Pilsner.  Would you say i is close to 2141 or 34/70?

#512 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

I got a package of that Diamond lager yeast I am thinking of using in a simple Rye Pilsner.  Would you say i is close to 2141 or 34/70?

I'm guessing you mean 2124?  Pretty much the same as 34/70, which is pretty much the same as 34/70.  Which as we know, means kinda close but not exactly.  I'd have to do triangles to really nail the differences, though.  So let's just say they're generally the same.

#513 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:39 PM

I'm guessing you mean 2124?  Pretty much the same as 34/70, which is pretty much the same as 34/70.  Which as we know, means kinda close but not exactly.  I'd have to do triangles to really nail the differences, though.  So let's just say they're generally the same.

Yes, I did.  Thanks.  I assumed they would all be close, or close enough for me!

#514 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:41 AM

Yes, I did.  Thanks.  I assumed they would all be close, or close enough for me!

I remember contacting someone at Lallemand for some additional information on this but she wouldn't give me anything.  If it's the same as 2124 that's a good thing but I was hoping for something else since we already have 2124 and 34/70.  How does it sound to mix 34/70 and Diamond together?  :scratch:  

I just made my last lager with 2278 10 days ago and all 10 of my kegs have beer in them.  1099 coming up for an APA, ESB, MLPA, possibly a blonde ale and then that Aztec Brown Ale with cocoa powder and chiles.  The APA will have Glacier and Cascade and I think I'll make that one first.  

#515 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:56 AM

I remember contacting someone at Lallemand for some additional information on this but she wouldn't give me anything.  If it's the same as 2124 that's a good thing but I was hoping for something else since we already have 2124 and 34/70.  How does it sound to mix 34/70 and Diamond together?  :scratch:  

I just made my last lager with 2278 10 days ago and all 10 of my kegs have beer in them.  1099 coming up for an APA, ESB, MLPA, possibly a blonde ale and then that Aztec Brown Ale with cocoa powder and chiles.  The APA will have Glacier and Cascade and I think I'll make that one first.  

I asked a biologist at Lalemand and all she would say was that it's the world's most famous lager yeast.  If you listen to our interview with Brian Perkey, he's a bit more forthcoming.  I pulled a sample yesterday after about a week of lagering.  It's clean, soft, and lets the malt come through.  I guess I don't see the point of mixing it with 34/70.

#516 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:20 AM

One of my CO2 tanks is MIA and one is empty.  That's annoying!

Edited by JKor, 05 October 2019 - 09:20 AM.

#517 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:24 AM

One of my CO2 tanks is MIA and one is empty.  That's annoying!

Hopefully the one that's MIA is full and found soon.  

#518 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

that's a bummer.  I'm not sure what your options are but there is a great place near me that does refills for a pretty reasonable price last time I was in there.  I'm thinking my 20lb tank is feeling a little light and will kick soon.

#519 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:37 AM

Page 3.  I might have sold it.  I don't remember.  :)

I don't think I would have, though.

#520 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:42 AM

Found it!  It got put away with my welding gas cylinder in different part of the barn.  Looks like it has a couple of pounds left.  It weighs 10.2lb and the tank tare weight stamped on it is 7.4lb.  I don't know how much the tank valve weighs.  1lb?  I should probably write the empty weight, with valve, on the tank when this one is done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users