#61 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:23 AM

It went great. Got a late start. I hit my numbers and pitched about 10 ounces of the Bayern slurry. Took off in about 12 hours and is currently in cruise control at 50F. This is the lightest gravity beer I've ever made at 1.044. I can't wait to taste how it turns out.

#62 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:13 AM

It went great. Got a late start. I hit my numbers and pitched about 10 ounces of the Bayern slurry. Took off in about 12 hours and is currently in cruise control at 50F. This is the lightest gravity beer I've ever made at 1.044. I can't wait to taste how it turns out.

I don't even consider that super low! It will make a nice summer beer though.

#63 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:32 AM

I don't even consider that super low! It will make a nice summer beer though.

Baby steps. I want to keep going lower but MUST keep the malt body intact. But a sub 4% beer is what I'm hoping to guzzle this summer.

This one was an hour mash. Funny thing is if I did my usual overnight mash I'd almost bet my gravity would have been much higher.

#64 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

Haven't brewed since March 24 and it may be another month before I brew again. I might forget how to make beer. :D I'm going to make another two batches with 940 (not sure which 2 yet) and then I'm going to get the Bayern up and running. I just ordered a 55-lb sack of Swaen Pils and three pounds of "SwaenHell" from Label Peelers for some batches of helles and there will probably be some pilsner, vienna, festbier and dunkel in there too. Good luck with the batch neddles.

#65 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

I'm brewing I'm brewing!  Doing a basic IPA to test out the Mash and Boil system.

#66 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

I'm brewing I'm brewing!  Doing a basic IPA to test out the Mash and Boil system.

Keep us posted. If the heating system is weak can we expect the brewday to begin on Sunday but end on Monday? :huh:

#67 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

Biggish ipa here, 10 gallons. Clocking in at 1.070 is big for me. Going to hop with 4 oz of Chinook and 4 oz of lemon drop at flame out and steep/ hop stand for 20 minutes.

Edited by passlaku, 29 April 2018 - 12:19 PM.

#68 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

Made a batch of kombucha - I know, it ain't really brewing - but the missus had some at a local nano brewery, flavored with ginger and lemon, and dug it, so, you know, happy wife happy life.  I can definitely see the attraction around here in the summer.  

#69 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

I cleaned and sanitized a couple of kegs.  preparation is half the battle!

#70 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

Installed a 2 new Clear Beer System floating dip tubes. Hooked up a keg to last night’s brew to purge with fermentation CO2. Cleaning several other kegs and a pin.

Also took a good look at my hop freezer.... Great scott, I need to get brewing.

#71 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

Keep us posted. If the heating system is weak can we expect the brewday to begin on Sunday but end on Monday? :huh:

;)  Actually it didn't seem too bad.  Maybe the Grainfather has gotten me used to the length of time, though.  But the boil was maybe a bit stronger than the GF.

#72 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

;)  Actually it didn't seem too bad.  Maybe the Grainfather has gotten me used to the length of time, though.  But the boil was maybe a bit stronger than the GF.

Need to get you a 240v system, you will be done with brew day in no time :)

Surprised there was a difference since they are both 1600W.  One must have better insulation than the other.  Since the M&B does not have a re-circulation pump did you see any stratification issues?

#73 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

Need to get you a 240v system, you will be done with brew day in no time :)

Surprised there was a difference since they are both 1600W.  One must have better insulation than the other.  Since the M&B does not have a re-circulation pump did you see any stratification issues?

I'm waiting on a GF that's 240V.  They tell me it's due soon.

Yeah, there did seem to be temp stratification in the mash.  I stirred it 4-5 times during the course of a 90 min. mash.  I went long to be sure I got full conversion.  And actually, the GF is better insulated.  Heavier metal plus I use the neoprene Graincoat on it.  And I have no way of knowing if the M&B actually boiled sooner of higher.  I didn't time or measure anything.  Just an impression.  Next time I'll do the measuring.  This time I was trying to figure out the quirks.

#74 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

Last week's brewday got bumped to tomorrow.

NBD, as the weather should be nicer (mid-70's and sunny).  I'll take it.

#75 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

I haven't brewed in over a year but did 3 batches in the last 2 days. My club is having a Maifest in 2 weeks.

#76 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:42 PM

Whoa, that's a big layoff. Congrats to getting back at it. :cheers:

#77 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:29 PM

Thanks neddles!

#78 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:37 AM

kegged some drez apa yesterday.  sooooo good.

#79 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:12 AM

I had a keg of amber ale go down last week and a keg of MLPA go down over the weekend. Another keg of helles is VERY light as is a keg of a hoppy blonde. I'm headed to Indiana for my daughter's graduation this weekend and we have a hardwood floor project starting next Monday so I'm seriously considering a midweek brew session tomorrow with another batch of my Hacienda Lager (Victoria Clone sort of). I think the schedule will allow it and this way I'll have a beer chugging away during an otherwise hectic time. Can't be short on beer in the spring. Or the summer. Or the... you get the idea.

#80 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Today's brewday: complete. English bitter is in the primary, mingling with some WY1469 yeast and smelling real nice.

Next week is lager week; tomorrow, some 34/70 will get a wakeup starter for next week's call to arms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users