#581 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:36 AM

^^ got your work cut out for you.  I'm desparately trying to get a batch in next Friday, this coming weekend is shot.  Still eyeing the all Vienna too.

#582 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:26 PM

My family gathering left me with FOUR empty kegs and I had about two pints of a red lager last night before that keg went down.  :covreyes:  I'm going to use my harvested 1028 to make an ESB on Saturday.  It's supposed to be 48° and raining but it's better than snow or blistering cold.  The next week I'm going to get a starter going for the Staro and start back up on some lagers... a Czech Pilsner with Saaz, maybe a stab at that Big Bark Amber Lager I mentioned in another thread, maybe Poptop's all-Vienna beer.  I'm sure I'll easily find 4-5 recipes to make with it.  I had just gotten caught up too.  :D

^^ got your work cut out for you.  I'm desparately trying to get a batch in next Friday, this coming weekend is shot.  Still eyeing the all Vienna too.

10 gallon batches

#583 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:57 AM

10 gallon batches

It's extremely rare that I want 10 gallons of any one beer.  Even my tasteless friends and family like a change up haha

#584 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:18 AM

It's extremely rare that I want 10 gallons of any one beer.  Even my tasteless friends and family like a change up haha

I feel you.  I have  a set up for 10g and a nice 10g SS fermenter but have not used it in 2+ years.  I just like the variety I get with 5's/

#585 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, I would rather work a bit harder and have a selection of 5-gallon batches.  That's just me though.  I could do some upgrading to get to 10 gallons but the fact I haven't done that tells me I'm not about it.

#586 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

I feel you.  I have  a set up for 10g and a nice 10g SS fermenter but have not used it in 2+ years.  I just like the variety I get with 5's/

I have a set up for 10g batches; use it less then I planned for when I made it 5 years ago. It gets used it to make beer for a barrel that a brew buddy and I co-own most of the time. did 10 gallons of a English mild, simply because the grain bill was so tiny; and split the batches with 2 yeast stains. one keg I'll have on hand to drink. the other keg may just hang out til needed, or I'll blend it with a barleywine. 

#587 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:52 AM

Change of plans.  In an effort to boost my low enthusiasm to brew this weekend I decided to retire the 1028 and smack the pack of Staro instead.  The date on it was 9/27/18.  I smacked it around 9am and put it in a slightly warmer area and the pack is now about half-swollen which seems pretty good.  It's clearly healthy and active.  I'm going to make a 1.5L starter with it this evening and I think Saturday's batch is going to be the Big Bark-like amber lager recipe.

vraog9.png

#588 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

Snuck in a workday brewday, a clone batch of Great Lakes' Burning River Ale, but this time, with a fresh slurry of 34/70 (I usually use US-05, or when on hand, WY1028).

The red IPL I made a few months back turned out very well, so I wanted to try this yeast out on one of my fav ale recipes.

Will know sometime in 1/2019 how I did.  Wort looked and smelled fantastic.

#589 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:20 AM

Making a starter tonight.

#590 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:55 AM

Making a starter tonight.

Of? :)

#591 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:40 PM

2124. Making german pilsner tomorrow. I still need to go to ace and get a new squirt bottle for the starsan. Also need a new scale so I can measure hops.

#592 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:36 AM

My starter took off nicely and I put it into the fridge last night.  I'll decant it later before I pitch.  Brewday is going to start here in about 45 minutes.  It's about 40°, dark, gray and windy here today but it could be worse for sure.  Cheers Beerheads.

#593 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:40 AM

2124. Making german pilsner tomorrow. I still need to go to ace and get a new squirt bottle for the starsan. Also need a new scale so I can measure hops.

harbor freight is your friend for cheap accurate digital scales, if you have one close, ours is literally 11 blocks away

#594 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

This is the scale I use for measuring hops, water salts, lactic acid, etc.: https://smile.amazon...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works like a champ; wouldn't brew without it.  And it's only $13.

#595 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:50 PM

I got delayed again. Errands took too long and by the time I was all set up it was 330. I'm not brewing a first batch of beer on a new system long into the night. I've got everything set up so I can go after breakfast in the morning. Instead I'm installing a ring doorbell 2 which I would have done tomorrow.

#596 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:23 PM

Next week, weather-permitting, a Scottish-ish strong ale.

Aiming for something ~9% abv, ~30 IBUs, and ~15-ish SRM for 5.5 gallons in the primary, then some cold-aging in the lager fridge before tapping around Super Bowl time.

#597 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:52 PM

Next week, weather-permitting, a Scottish-ish strong ale.

Aiming for something ~9% abv, ~30 IBUs, and ~15-ish SRM for 5.5 gallons in the primary, then some cold-aging in the lager fridge before tapping around Super Bowl time.

MMMmmm......

Mind sharing the recipe?

#598 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:19 PM

MMMmmm......

Mind sharing the recipe?

This is what I'm going with:

7lb Pils, 7lb Munich, 0.5lb wheat, 0.5lb C-60, and 1 oz Carafa-3.  Magnum to bitter, with 2 light late additions (10 min and flame-out) of EKG, for ~30-32 IBU's total.

Will mash ~150° so it dries out a bit and doesn't end up cloying.  Beersmith says I should get ~1.084 for 5.5 gal in the primary, which should be right in the ballpark for 9% abv.

Made this several times over the years, sometimes with Pils, others with 2-row, pale ale malt, etc.; always turns out well.  Plenty of maltiness from the Munich.

#599 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

I am no longer just a commenter here. I brewed, yay!!!

#600 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

I am no longer just a commenter here. I brewed, yay!!!

w00t!

Did you mention what you made?  Not sure I saw it.  Also, no one here ever thought you were just a commenter... we know you love beer and brew beer and drink beer, no question.  That had to feel good to get a batch done.  :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users