5 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54022 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:58 PM

I know you're a Texas guy and I have a question for you.  I come to Texas occasionally (my son is a junior at UT Austin and my daughter just relocated in Austin too) and their beer culture is excellent, IMO.  I have had the Live Oak Big Bark a number of times (mostly at Bergstrom airport) and I think it's delicious.  Their site says that "beers of Vienna are the inspiration" for the beer which makes sense.  Have you had this beer and if so, would you take a stab at a recipe?  The Oktoberfest lager I have on tap right now seems like a good starting point.  If you haven't had it, no worries.  For anyone else out here... if you've tried it, let me know what you think.  I have a 'draft' recipe drawn up but I was curious what you thought.

zzbigbark.jpg

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

I have not had this or any other Live Oak beers but I have heard good things especially about the heffe. A quick search brings up this but man that is a lot of Munich! http://austinhomebre...CPPDF/04609.pdf

That beer in the picture looks nice, beautiful color!

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54022 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

I have not had this or any other Live Oak beers but I have heard good things especially about the heffe. A quick search brings up this but man that is a lot of Munich! http://austinhomebre...CPPDF/04609.pdf

That beer in the picture looks nice, beautiful color!

Yeah, that seems like a lot of Munich and I have had this beer and I can't see it... but Austin doesn't say if it's Munich 1 or 2 so maybe it could be.  I was thinking 50/50 pils/Munich 2, about 20 IBUs of Magnum for 30 and then maybe an ounce or two of Hallertau at flameout.  The beer is absolutely delicious.  The last time I flew out of Austin I went to a little place that had it before but when I got there the whole area was packed so I went to another spot and had some Austin Amber Ale (also good).  When I had to go towards my gate I went past the place with Live Oak.  I needed to board shortly but I got a girl's attention and asked for a Big Bark.  Of course she tapped me this giant glass... ugh.  I'm standing near the gate chugging this beer because it's so good.  I finish all but one swallow and then board, risking having to pee for the next 30 minutes while sitting in the window seat.  :lol:  I'd love to make something similar.  

#4 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hey there.    Been out of pocket enjoying the beer/food culture of North Carolina for the past week.     Gotta get the fat pants out now...   :D

Interestingly, we don't get much from Live Oak where I live.  (Fort Worth area)    I've had their weissbier several times and it's very good, but none of their other offerings.    I know they're highly regarded in the Austin area. 

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54022 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:19 AM

Headed to Austin this morning and planning on procuring a supply of this beer for the weekend.  Cheers.

#6 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:03 AM

Nice.  Have fun.   Supposed to be nice weather this weekend too.

BTW.   I was in Waco a couple of weeks ago and found some of Live Oak's "Oaktoberfest".     Well made beer, but just too heavy on the Munich malt for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users