#501 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:03 AM

I would like to come up with a sage beer. I have a bourbon drink I like that is Sage, bourbon, apricot and limoncello.  I think it would be cool to have a beer that resembles that in some way.

I recently had a summer wheat from black hog brewing that had grapefruit rind and sage.  kind of tasted like a radler.  

#502 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:25 AM

If all goes well, this coming Tuesday will be another workday brewday.

The beer - Dortmunder.  My current keg of it blew last night, so I need to get some more going, stat.

#503 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

If all goes well, this coming Tuesday will be another workday brewday.

The beer - Dortmunder.  My current keg of it blew last night, so I need to get some more going, stat.

Mmm, Dort.  It's not just for breakfast anymore.  :lol:  Are you going to brew with construction work going on?  :scratch:

Right now I'm prepping for a red lager.  Water is filtered, grains and hops are weighed out.  I'm using the same slurry of Omega Bayern for the 8th time today!  8!  The yeast has been clean-looking, white and aromatically pleasing this whole time.  It looks slightly darker in the flask right now because I just harvested it from a dunkel yesterday but it still smells lovely.  I did a little homework on how to dial in my red color and found that CaraAroma has a lot of red in it so it's going to be pilsner, vienna, special b and caraaroma and just a smidge of carafa.  Magnum and then late hallertau.  Should be tasty.  Cheers peeps.   

#504 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:42 AM

Mmm, Dort.  It's not just for breakfast anymore.  :lol:  Are you going to brew with construction work going on?  :scratch:

Right now I'm prepping for a red lager.  Water is filtered, grains and hops are weighed out.  I'm using the same slurry of Omega Bayern for the 8th time today!  8!  The yeast has been clean-looking, white and aromatically pleasing this whole time.  It looks slightly darker in the flask right now because I just harvested it from a dunkel yesterday but it still smells lovely.  I did a little homework on how to dial in my red color and found that CaraAroma has a lot of red in it so it's going to be pilsner, vienna, special b and caraaroma and just a smidge of carafa.  Magnum and then late hallertau.  Should be tasty.  Cheers peeps.   

Our contractor told us yesterday he's looking at next Wed to start work, so I need to make hay while the weather holds.

And yes, Dort is not just for breakfast, altho truth be told, it's a nice beer to have if one wanted to partake at 8am.

#505 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

Our contractor told us yesterday he's looking at next Wed to start work, so I need to make hay while the weather holds.

And yes, Dort is not just for breakfast, altho truth be told, it's a nice beer to have if one wanted to partake at 8am.

Hay?  I'm so confused.  I thought you were making Dortmunder.  :P

#506 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

Running late this weekend, almost ready for the first hop addition. First brew since July. It was time.

Hallertau (bittering hops, i have lots of them)

Cascade  3 additions

Cascade dry hops

two row,pilsner,vienna, wheat malt.. 

#507 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

Measured out my water and setting the tee for a Vienna Pale Lager hopefully Friday.  12# Vienna, 1/2# Carahell, 24 IBU, Magnum to bitter, Saaz to finish.  Happily chewed up with a couple packs of S-189.  1.060 starting.

#508 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

Dortmunder is in the primary as of 2 hours ago.  Pitched a fresh (as in, 24 hours old) slurry of 34/70.

Now the waiting begins.

#509 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:15 PM

^^ I've been wanting to try a good Dort recipe

#510 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:22 PM

Both of those sound great.  

#511 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

Both of those sound great.  

They do. Heck, just brewing sounds great.  :crybaby:

#512 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:44 AM

Well, it’s weighed out. 7# Weyermann Pilsner and 5# Barke Munich, and that’s the grain bill - 60’ish. An ounce of Tettnang at 30 minutes, another ounce at 10 and an ounce of Hersbrucker at 5. 23’ish IBU. One packet each S-189 and 34/70 (because why not). Intended results should meet the smooth quaffable requirements discussed:)

#513 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:21 AM

I actually brewed last Tues!  Holy shit!  Made my Am. brown recipe with yet another new iteration of my brew system.  One final tweak and it should be where I want it.  I've got a Blichmann Riptide pump on the way to complete things.

#514 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:36 AM

Just formulated the water profile for the next brew session tonight; I always like to make a big beer in October, and sit on it for the following fall/winter, as much as possible. going to make the big daddy of Bock, Eisbock. complete with freeze distillation. This style has been in my radar for quite some time, and can't wait to try it. 

#515 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

Just formulated the water profile for the next brew session tonight; I always like to make a big beer in October, and sit on it for the following fall/winter, as much as possible. going to make the big daddy of Bock, Eisbock. complete with freeze distillation. This style has been in my radar for quite some time, and can't wait to try it. 

Careful!  Don't get caught distilling by the local authorities!  :lol:

#516 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

The Brew Files episode coming out this Wed. is all about eising beers.

#517 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:10 PM

I wanted spruce tips, couldn't find any.  After visiting Alaska, I fell in love with spruce tip beer.  In the spring  it will be done.

If you can, harvest them yourself, Blue spruce isn't good, but Englemann and Sitka are great, the Englemann I've picked locally was super sweet when the buds were about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in size and partly opened.  If they get too developed they get woody and piney.  I believe I used a quart of the fresh tips n 5 gallons.

#518 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:22 PM

The Brew Files episode coming out this Wed. is all about eising beers.

Perfect timing!

#519 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:06 AM

^^ has my interest too

#520 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:34 AM

Careful! Don't get caught distilling by the local authorities! :lol:

Someone in my club has said "freeze distilling is illegal!!11!1!"

Just like im sure all of us stay under our 200 gallon limit per year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users