#481 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:08 AM

So by wrapping BIAB number 2 over the course of a 9 hour mash, I lost 12 degrees, which to me ain’t bad. Very smooth brew day; 50/50 Vienna and Pale with a sprinkle of C40. Generously dosed with Pacific Jade and Mosaic all in the whirlpool per my friend Drezz’s suggestions! US05 is tearing it up and there’s two more “Drezz doses” of hops in the days to follow.

#482 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:37 AM

So by wrapping BIAB number 2 over the course of a 9 hour mash, I lost 12 degrees, which to me ain’t bad. Very smooth brew day; 50/50 Vienna and Pale with a sprinkle of C40. Generously dosed with Pacific Jade and Mosaic all in the whirlpool per my friend Drezz’s suggestions! US05 is tearing it up and there’s two more “Drezz doses” of hops in the days to follow.

NOICE!

That beer sounds great and congrats on your overnight BIAB process.  Always good to find ways to do things simpler and more efficiently.

#483 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

Finally got around to kegging my NEIPA/Black NEIPA - some 3 weeks later than planned. While warm flat beer is somewhat hard to judge, the Norweigan yeasts seem to perform as advertised - no funky off flavors from fermenting near 100 degrees. Dryhopped the crap out of them, will let them sit for a week at basement temp then to the fridge.

#484 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

Next week (week of Oct 1), English-ish IPA is on like Donkey Kong.

Rahr pale ale and some Munich/C-40/wheat, to an OG of ~1.075, ~12 SRM, and an abv of 7.5-8%, thereabouts.

Magnum to bitter, First Gold as FWH, and then all EKG for the late additions, to ~70 IBUs total.

US-05 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

#485 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 04:57 AM

NOICE!

That beer sounds great and congrats on your overnight BIAB process.  Always good to find ways to do things simpler and more efficiently.

This is my mantra beginning with batch 101 :)  I'm making moves to streamline steps and time.  The BIAB helps in both areas.  My set up does have limitations for now such as grain weight versus pulley system and kettle diameter.  But I can do 12# pretty easily and I'd say a few more pounds wouldn't be an issue either.  Definitely not ditching my cooler just yet.

#486 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:18 PM

I'm going to do a simple pale ale this weekend using some locally malted grain called "Wildfire".    

Well, the local grain gets a "pretty good" from me.  It's a little strong, but makes a good backbone for a pale ale with 40 IBU's.   I used it in my spotted cow (20 IBU's)  and it's way too strong- totally dominates and is a little "rough".     Lesson learned.     I certainly wouldn't use it in a lager, but certainly would for a hefty IPA.  

#487 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:42 AM

If I do go forward with another batch with this yeast I think I'll do a red lager like so...

xm5oja.jpg

I might throw some Hallertau into the WP too. When I put the recipe together I was concentrating on the grist and the color with the hops being sort of secondary. This should work nicely but another ounce into the WP with a short steep could be nice too. Friday evening or Saturday morning... depending on the look & smell of the yeast which I think is going to be ready for another round. :D Cheers Beerheads.

Okay, I'm now accepting this as a challenge.  Batch #7 (Dunkel) is fermenting and smells like beer heaven (as the previous six batches did) and so when this beer gets sent to a keg (next weekend), I'm going to make this red lager that I had ready to go.  Am I pushing it?  Maybe.  Will I be disappointed if I go to far?  Maybe.  Will it be worth the risk if the red lager comes out well?  Definitely.  :D

#488 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

"Destiny, destiny, no escaping that for me" ~ G. Wilder

#489 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:23 AM

I think DJ has some world record for using US-05 for like 586 batches or something :P  Pretty sure that 8 batches with the same slurry is a record for me but I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel it.  

#490 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:16 AM

Pulled a sample for gravity of my Pacific Jade & Mosaic Pale Ale, hopping schedule compliments of Drezz. It's chillin in the fridge now.  I gotta tell you that the smell coming out of the fermenter and even in the test flask is like hop heaven.  I'm sure the batch after one week is tetering around the 10 or 12 mark.  More interested in tasting this fine specimen.

#491 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:19 AM

Pulled a sample for gravity of my Pacific Jade & Mosaic Pale Ale, hopping schedule compliments of Drezz. It's chillin in the fridge now.  I gotta tell you that the smell coming out of the fermenter and even in the test flask is like hop heaven.  I'm sure the batch after one week is tetering around the 10 or 12 mark.  More interested in tasting this fine specimen.

Excellent!  Glad it is working out!

#492 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

I think we need to change his status to "hopping wizard".  he knows what hops to put in the beer.  HE KNOWS!

#493 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:23 PM

Well, I have to say I agree. Just measured OG and taste: 1.012 and the taste, flavor and aroma are what I envisioned. It’s a little thin but I chalk that up to my BIAB newb dial in. But until it’s carbed it will be hard to tell where it is finished.

But the hopping direction was nice. 20’ish IBU is where I like it

#494 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

Well, I have to say I agree. Just measured OG and taste: 1.012 and the taste, flavor and aroma are what I envisioned. It’s a little thin but I chalk that up to my BIAB newb dial in. But until it’s carbed it will be hard to tell where it is finished.

But the hopping direction was nice. 20’ish IBU is where I like it

Wait till it is carbonated to make a final judgment. I also find the yeast plays a big roll in mouthfeel.

#495 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:58 AM

Well we all know 05 is what it is. I have som 04 on my order list. Will do the half half 04 & 05 next

#496 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:16 AM

Our Co-Op is having a competition with the following rules:

We collected all of the members great suggestions and the top six ingredients are:

Hot peppers 
Spruce tips
Cinnamon
Berries 
Basil
Sage

The style is "open", but homebrewers will need to use a minimum of three of these ingredients in their competition entries.  

I'm going with Strawberry, basil and cinnamon.  The good news is if it turns out horrible, the majority of it will be drank by the judges.  :)

#497 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

Spruce tips, hot peppers and cinnamon

#498 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

Spruce tips, hot peppers and cinnamon

I wanted spruce tips, couldn't find any.  After visiting Alaska, I fell in love with spruce tip beer.  In the spring  it will be done.

#499 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:33 AM

Our Co-Op is having a competition with the following rules:

We collected all of the members great suggestions and the top six ingredients are:

Hot peppers 
Spruce tips
Cinnamon
Berries 
Basil
Sage

The style is "open", but homebrewers will need to use a minimum of three of these ingredients in their competition entries.  

I'm going with Strawberry, basil and cinnamon.  The good news is if it turns out horrible, the majority of it will be drank by the judges.  :)

I would like to come up with a sage beer. I have a bourbon drink I like that is Sage, bourbon, apricot and limoncello.  I think it would be cool to have a beer that resembles that in some way.

#500 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

^^ that's one hell of a combination

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users