#521 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:40 AM

Someone in my club has said "freeze distilling is illegal!!11!1!"

Just like im sure all of us stay under our 200 gallon limit per year.

TBH, I have never made an eisbock and I don't know the process.  Sounds like the beer is brought down to freezing and then ice is removed when it forms to strengthen the beer... something like that.  Doesn't really sound like 'distilling' to me but what do I know.  

#522 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:49 AM

Replacing a word by definition takes all issues away

Concentrate :)

Edited by Poptop, 15 October 2018 - 07:50 AM.

#523 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:38 AM

TBH, I have never made an eisbock and I don't know the process.  Sounds like the beer is brought down to freezing and then ice is removed when it forms to strengthen the beer... something like that.  Doesn't really sound like 'distilling' to me but what do I know.  

the process I'm using is after fermentation and lagering for a month, is freeze the beer to where I lose about 20% of the volume, removing water. 

Replacing a word by definition takes all issues away

Concentrate :)

I like the cut of your jib. 

#524 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:23 AM

Wednesday looks like my next brewday; a foreign extra stout is on-deck. 

Will also be making some wings on the grill, since brewing is hungry work.  Pics of said brewday eats will follow, if that isn't against the beer forum rules.

#525 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:29 PM

Planning on getting a wheat pale ale into the fermenter tomorrow morning.

5# golden promise
5# wheat
.75 acid malt
.25 caravienne

Hops will be Citra and amarillo.

Hoping for an easy drinker.

#526 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

Sounds fantastic.

#527 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

5# golden promise
5# wheat
.75 acid malt
.25 caravienne

should be pretty light and refreshing  :cheers:

#528 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

Solidly in the wine, mead and cider thread this weekend.

#529 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:33 PM

should be pretty light and refreshing  :cheers:

I forgot how good Citra and Amarillo smell when paired together.  Looking forward to this one.

#530 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 October 2018 - 01:01 PM

I forgot how good Citra and Amarillo smell when paired together.  Looking forward to this one.

I haven't had awesome luck with amarillo but it could be the hops I've used (not a great year or something).  I've occasionally gotten the nice orange from it but it dies out fast and I'm left with something else that is not bad but not great.  by all accounts it sounds like a hop I should really enjoy.

#531 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

I haven't had awesome luck with amarillo but it could be the hops I've used (not a great year or something). I've occasionally gotten the nice orange from it but it dies out fast and I'm left with something else that is not bad but not great. by all accounts it sounds like a hop I should really enjoy.

I have had that too,one of the reasons I have not used it in a long time. Fingers crossed this one lives up to expectations.

#532 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:57 PM

5# golden promise
5# wheat
.75 acid malt
.25 caravienne

Just got home from a work trip to find it fermenting at 54...d'oh I forgot to change the temp controller. At least it was bubbling so that is good. 04/05 yeast blend in this one.

#533 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:27 PM

Just got home from a work trip to find it fermenting at 54...d'oh I forgot to change the temp controller. At least it was bubbling so that is good. 04/05 yeast blend in this one.

I've done that.  I think I adjusted it but not enough so I end up with 1056 bubbling away at 58° or something.  Welcome back.  

#534 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:22 AM

Been on quite a run for the past 3 weeks. Eisbock, a lambic, did a pumpkin ale with canned pumpkin in the mash last week. (First time, and didnt have a stuck run off), this week is a hoppy session beer. All late additions of citra.

Looking forward, have 10 gallons of English Mild, and a Dortmunder Export lager.

6 brewing sessions in 6 weeks? Ill take it.

#535 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:25 AM

Been on quite a run for the past 3 weeks. Eisbock, a lambic, did a pumpkin ale with canned pumpkin in the mash last week. (First time, and didnt have a stuck run off), this week is a hoppy session beer. All late additions of citra.

Looking forward, have 10 gallons of English Mild, and a Dortmunder Export lager.

NOICE!  I had a run where I was brewing every 2 weeks for I don't know how long.  :D

#536 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:35 AM

NOICE! I had a run where I was brewing every 2 weeks for I don't know how long. :D

To be fair, I did have a close to a two month sabbatical. Hosted a brew club meeting last Friday, and told the guys "kick the kegs. Worse case, gonna make more beer, oh noes!"

The method to the madness is to make some long term beers (the lambic will sit for a couple years) beers to bottle from the keg, cuz the eisbock i want to hang onto for a awhile, a seasonal, and some quick turn around beers.

The quick lager method is a godsend.

#537 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:39 AM

So what is your mild recipe?  I have been thinking of one for a quick flavorful beer.

#538 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

Seeking a decent version of Golden Monkey...................

#539 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

To be fair, I did have a close to a two month sabbatical. Hosted a brew club meeting last Friday, and told the guys "kick the kegs. Worse case, gonna make more beer, oh noes!"

The method to the madness is to make some long term beers (the lambic will sit for a couple years) beers to bottle from the keg, cuz the eisbock i want to hang onto for a awhile, a seasonal, and some quick turn around beers.

The quick lager method is a godsend.

It's funny how quickly you can get low, especially if you have some people over.  My college-sophomore (now junior) was around for part of the summer with his girlfriend and I happened to be slightly low on beer and I just wasn't brewing.  They put a huge dent in my supply.  Plus, it was summer so I was drinking it, my wife was drinking it, friends, family, etc. so I really had to brew a lot to catch up.  I'm happy to say that sometime today or tomorrow I am transferring a beer (Crystal & Glacier APA) to a keg and that will make FIVE kegs in my reserve fridge with 4 KEGS (well, partial kegs) in the draft fridges.  That puts me at full capacity for the first time in a long time and I'm sure it's temporary.  If one of the draft kegs goes down before this weekend, I'm brewing this weekend to keep up the pace.  

#540 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:52 AM

Dark Czech lager tomorrow. Mostly Vienna, some pils, a little Munich, 0.5lbs caramunich iii and 0.5lbs midnight wheat.

35ibus, just a couple ounces of hallertau close to flame out.

Staro-prague!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users