663 replies to this topic

#461 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:33 PM

When my kids were younger I would get up at 4 or 5am to brew. Take the kids to school at 8am or whatever and finish when I got back and then start work. In those days weekends were crazier than weekdays so I brewed during the week.  There are any number of negatives about having all of your kids out of the house but there are some positives.  :D

My issues are less kid induced and more self induced house projects.  I do need to get back in the habit of brewing first thing or at night.  Saves the rest of the day.

#462 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:47 PM

Definitely.  Even now it's either Friday late afternoon and into the evening or else it's early (ish) on Saturday morning.  

#463 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

If I do go forward with another batch with this yeast I think I'll do a red lager like so...

xm5oja.jpg

I might throw some Hallertau into the WP too. When I put the recipe together I was concentrating on the grist and the color with the hops being sort of secondary. This should work nicely but another ounce into the WP with a short steep could be nice too. Friday evening or Saturday morning... depending on the look & smell of the yeast which I think is going to be ready for another round. :D Cheers Beerheads.

#464 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:06 AM

Looks great Ken.  I can see an Amber in my near future.

#465 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9572 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:44 AM

Ken, what software are you using for your recipes? I like how it displays them.

#466 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:05 AM

Dave:  Denny posted this awhile back... Micro Homebrew.  Click HERE.  Click on CREATE A RECIPE and then on the next page click on CAPTAINBREW MEMBERS and then go to REGISTER.  What's nice about this is that you can save your recipes and have them all in one place and it's no-charge.  When you go back to the site you can login and see your recipes, tweak them, print them if you want and also create new ones.  I have 16 or 18 recipes entered into it now.  I also grab a screen snip and save those locally but I can always go to the site and grab them there too.  I used Tastybrew.com for years but it's gone.  Then I used Brewer's Friend but you can only save 3 or maybe 5 recipes there before they want to charge you so I started using this one.  Creating a recipe is easy.  Thanks again to Denny for suggesting it.  

#467 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:44 AM

mashing some bitter galaxy right now.  well, breaking the rules a little and using galena to bitter b/c I want to conserve that sweet, sweet galaxy for flavor and aroma.

what should I do with the 002 when this is done I wonder though.  it's hard for me to resist brewing when I don't have to make a starter and I really feel like I should get my money's worth out of this yeast since the LHBS charges $10 for it now  :mad:

#468 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:53 AM

BIAB number 2, 6:30am mash in. Double folded moving blanket, taped for future use. Still too high on the mash but this guy will sit until 330pm. Can’t believe how little heat I’m losing during mash in compared to my cooler/tun

55_B9_E39_A-_EDDF-4230-_BAB7-_ABF5_D3503

#469 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:54 AM

were you mashing really thin in your cooler?  I think the thermal mass of mashing thin helps a lot.

#470 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:57 AM

mashing some bitter galaxy right now.  well, breaking the rules a little and using galena to bitter b/c I want to conserve that sweet, sweet galaxy for flavor and aroma.

what should I do with the 002 when this is done I wonder though.  it's hard for me to resist brewing when I don't have to make a starter and I really feel like I should get my money's worth out of this yeast since the LHBS charges $10 for it now  :mad:

I'd go for a nice Bitter of sorts, pale malt, some crystal and a couple mellow hops.  A quaffable pint!

#471 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:00 AM

were you mashing really thin in your cooler?  I think the thermal mass of mashing thin helps a lot.

Typicall 1.5 to 1.6 quarts per pound.  Always losing 10 degrees.  Could set my watch by the cooler :)  Different bird here all together mashing right into the kettle, but heck I'm learning right.  My first BIAB went to keg last night and I expect it to be a very tasty pale lager.  

#472 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:45 AM

I'd go for a nice Bitter of sorts, pale malt, some crystal and a couple mellow hops.  A quaffable pint!

while those are great I'm making a bitter right now!  granted it's not a very traditional one.

#473 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:47 AM

while those are great I'm making a bitter right now!  granted it's not a very traditional one.

You are using galaxy aren't you!!   It will be funny if you are because I was thinking about a quick turn around beer and galaxy bitter was the first to pop in my head.

#474 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:51 AM

^^ great beer soaked minds think alike ;)

#475 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:05 AM

You are using galaxy aren't you!!   It will be funny if you are because I was thinking about a quick turn around beer and galaxy bitter was the first to pop in my head.

that I am.

MO, C40, a little galena for bittering and then a lot of galaxy fermented on 002.  pretty much cav's recipe or very similar to it.

#476 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:08 AM

Make a bitter that leans malty. Yin/yang.

#477 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:13 AM

Or make Brauer’s english porter...

“Here's one I liked that has a different theme:
65% Pale Ale Malt,
13% Mild Malt (Munich also works)
6.5% C20
6.5% Brown Malt
6.5% Pale Chocolate
2.5% Black Malt (Increase this if you think you'd like it more black than brown.)
156°F mash for 1.046->~1.011
Equal doses Willamette at 60' & 5' to 25 IBU
1469 (002 would work)
(I've also made a variant with Perle and 011. The herbal Perle works in a really interesting way with the roast malts.)

I think I like this one because the Pale Ale Malt, Mild Malt/Munich, C20, Pale Chocolate & Brown Malt all hit different malt notes, while the same is true for the different roast notes, giving it a soft, round malty profile that I like in a Porter.”

#478 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:14 AM

I was thinking of maybe making a porter or stout with a little bit of the smoked malt I have.  I think I only have about a pound so it would be subtle.

#479 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:38 PM

My marathon with this Bayern lager yeast will continue.  I just did a closed-transfer of my Munich Helles to a keg and the yeast that I just harvested still looks and smells like beer heaven.  So the Munich Dunkel is a go for a Saturday brewday!  

#480 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:59 AM

Bayern Yeast! “Go ahead, I dare you to knock it off”

EB46_C226-58_FE-411_F-885_E-_A12_B08_F83

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users