#422 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:29 PM

Brewing tomorrow, a light/premium-ish lager.  Stout postponed.

Got a porter kegged this morning that will hit the tap on Wednesday, so I need something to fill the pipeline in 5-6 weeks.

#423 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:46 PM

Just made a starter of 1450 for a hopeful Wednesday brewday.

#424 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:33 AM

Always concerns me with such minimal activity in a medium gravity 34/70 pitch. At 54F I know it IS rocking

Edited by Poptop, 11 September 2018 - 03:34 AM.

#425 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:19 AM

Mashed in for today's lager; smelling nice.

8lb Pils

1lb Munich

Hop additions are all Liberty pellets, ~4% AA.  1 oz for bittering, then 2-3 oz (depending on how much is left in the bag) for late additions.

34/70 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

Shooting for ~1.052 (for ~5.5% abv) and about 25-30 IBUs for 5.5 gallons into the primary.

#426 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:54 AM

8lb Pils

1lb Munich

Hop additions are all Liberty pellets, ~4% AA.  1 oz for bittering, then 2-3 oz (depending on how much is left in the bag) for late additions.

Shooting for ~1.052 (for ~5.5% abv) and about 25-30 IBUs for 5.5 gallons into the primary.

Sounds nice.  Sort of a Cincinnati pilsner?  :P

#427 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:01 AM

8lb Pils

1lb Munich

I did a beer in this spirit last year.  10# Pils and 1# Munich with Premiant at 30 and Hallertau at 10/0.  Mine came out around 30 IBU and it was a real crowd pleaser.  I have plans to brew it again with Edelweiss for some fall drinking!

#428 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

Does crystal malt have a place in a lager?  I've been toying with the idea of a Viennal Pale, something like Ken has been working on and I'm tasting all Vienna with a splash of 40 and a splash of carapils.  Mild mannered hop additions such as Magnum and then Celia or Mt. Hood etc..  Just wondering if there'd be a cloying presence just because of the sweetness crystal imparts.  

Edited by Poptop, 11 September 2018 - 07:49 AM.

#429 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

Does crystal malt have a place in a lager?  I've been toying with the idea of a Viennal Pale, something like Ken has been working on and I'm tasting all Vienna with a splash of 40 and a splash of carapils.  Mild mannered hop additions such as Magnum and then Celia or Mt. Hood etc..  Just wondering if there'd be a cloying presence just because of the sweetness crystal imparts.  

I think it could work in a small amount.  I think you can build the rest of the recipe to avoid the cloying issue.  What % are you thinking.  

#430 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:28 AM

I think it could work in a small amount.  I think you can build the rest of the recipe to avoid the cloying issue.  What % are you thinking.  

Yea, cloying is what I want to avoid.  I do like the idea of a little but just can't envision the flavor with 34/70 for example.  I'm aiming at another 10# total to continue base lining my BIAB set up.  9# Vienna 1/2 each C40 and Carapils.  

#431 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

Yea, cloying is what I want to avoid.  I do like the idea of a little but just can't envision the flavor with 34/70 for example.  I'm aiming at another 10# total to continue base lining my BIAB set up.  9# Vienna 1/2 each C40 and Carapils.  

I would not have an issue with that beer.  I would just mash about 149ish and be happy to drink it.

#432 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

Does crystal malt have a place in a lager?

If you like the flavor that crystal malt brings to your beer then it has a place.

#433 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

I would not have an issue with that beer.  I would just mash about 149ish and be happy to drink it.

If you like the flavor that crystal malt brings to your beer then it has a place.

Thanks fellas.  Just enough to be there but not be too there.  I'm just loving the lagers lately and want to continue to explore.

#434 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:28 AM

I agree on the balance and amount of the crystal.  I might also look at the attenuation of the yeast you're using and the yeast's health as well.  I put a recipe together once and I really whiffed... it was like the golden sombrero of homebrewing.  I had an English yeast going (high flocculation, low attenuation), I used a decent amount of British Crystal, I didn't boost the sulfate in the water very well and I only hopped the beer at the start of the boil.  It was malty, cloying, overly smooth and completely out of balance.  One of my buds told me it tasted like a milkshake.  :lol:  So I guess I mention all of that because if your water helped you and your yeast got your FG down so that the beer could finish dry, I don't think the crystal would be out of place.  Variables man, variables.  

#435 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:39 AM

Yes variables.  Plus an ample bitterness to balance the smoothness of the lager yeast and the scant amount of crystal sweetness.  I don't get the golden shower sombrero reference...

#436 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

Yes variables.  Plus an ample bitterness to balance the smoothness of the lager yeast and the scant amount of crystal sweetness.  I don't get the golden shower sombrero reference...

If a baseball player whiffs 4 times in one game, it's called the Golden Sombrero.  Whiffs.  I has 'em.  :D

#437 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

:)

#438 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:04 PM

Sounds nice.  Sort of a Cincinnati pilsner?  :P

Something along those lines; more of a freezer clean-out/using up odds and ends kind of brew.

If timing works out, by the time today's batch is ready for tapping, I will have 3 lagers ready to pour at the same time: doppelbock, my red IPL, and today's lager.

Don't know that I've ever had 3 lagers on tap together before (my draft tower is a 3-faucet model); usually some combo of ale and lager.

#439 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:31 PM

Don't know that I've ever had 3 lagers on tap together before

It's rough, but we know you've got this man. 

#440 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

It's rough, but we know you've got this man. 

I agree and if there can be a beer called "Boston Lager" then I think there's room for Cincinnati Pilsner.  :lol:  Cheers and I hope the beer comes out stellar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users