#401 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

Nothing this week.  Next week, tho, looking at brewing an oatmeal stout, to be served on teh nitro.

Haven't made an oatmeal stout in far too long; looking forward to it in a month or so, when the weather (hopefully!) cools off a bit.

#402 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

Set up the brew system during lunch today (yay telecommuting). Waiting to log out of work to brew an Alt inspired ale and lager combo. 5 gallons each of low abv hoppyish amber goodness. Probably going to a/b test lager at a higher temp vs ale at lower temp and ferment them both in the chamber together (62ish degrees). Need to keg my oat stout to pitch the ale part onto.

#403 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54154 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:13 PM

Just ran my Oktoberfest lager off to a keg and saved the [amazingly clean and white-looking] Bayern yeast for a helles that will probably be brewed on Saturday morning.  I'm trying to tweak the recipe to get a smidge more color and depth because the last one was just slightly too crisp for a helles.  The IBUs stated below are not accurate because this Micro-Homebrew calculator assumes a FWH is zero IBUs.  Total IBUs are probably in the 20-23 range.

zlxens.png

#404 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:47 PM

I dedicated my batch of Oktoberfest Lager to Armagh's ribs and spine.  :D  I hope it helps him feel better.  Cheers gang.

Sure as hell would if you sent some.  I'd dedicate myself to drinking it - purely for pain management, you understand.

#405 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54154 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

Sure as hell would if you sent some.  I'd dedicate myself to drinking it - purely for pain management, you understand.

How's it going with the recovery?  What is the timeline for getting back to your active self?  

#406 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:25 PM

How's it going with the recovery?  What is the timeline for getting back to your active self?  

Thanks for asking. Better than expected.  Helps to be fit, weight appropriate and engaged on physical activity (in my case competitive swimming, which keeps the body stretched).  Some nasty lacerations have kept me out of the pool, but next week looks good, although I've yet to acquire a replacement car.  Plan to put the wheat beer on peaches this weekend and maybe bottle a tangy red if the energy levels hold.

#407 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54154 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for asking. Better than expected.  Helps to be fit, weight appropriate and engaged on physical activity (in my case competitive swimming, which keeps the body stretched).  Some nasty lacerations have kept me out of the pool, but next week looks good, although I've yet to acquire a replacement car.  Plan to put the wheat beer on peaches this weekend and maybe bottle a tangy red if the energy levels hold.

That's excellent news that it's better than expected.  It probably hurts even more to be an active person but be sidelined.  I assume your car is totaled so hopefully insurance will be coming to your rescue.  Go slow and keep us posted on your progress.  

#408 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

Sounds like a good recovery so far - hope it continues.

1272 spinning - don't know what I'll make yet.  Bought that smack pack a year ago - went back to harvesting from starters for the next one.

#409 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16667 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:43 PM

That's excellent news that it's better than expected. It probably hurts even more to be an active person but be sidelined. I assume your car is totaled so hopefully insurance will be coming to your rescue. Go slow and keep us posted on your progress.

Yep good to hear the progress is going the right direction. If you’re anything like me a week or two out of the pool can feel like several months and you’ve been side lined much longer than that. Hoping your conditioning springs back quickly, Armaugh.

#410 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:22 AM

First run recipe for an inaugural BIAB (to set baseline).  My estimations, based on all things being the same except for the bag & water loss due to grain. 

Boil Size: 7.25 gal, Post Boil Volume: 5.25 gal, Est OG: 1.049, Est Color: 3.7 SRM, Est IBU: 22.5, Brewhouse Efficiency: Est 70.00% - TBD, Boil Time: 40 Minutes

9 lbs             German Pilsner      
8.0 oz            Cara-Pils/Dextrine       
8.0 oz            Vienna Malt       
0.50 oz           Magnum at 20.0 min 16.3 IBUs   
2.00 oz           Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 5.0 min 6.1 IBUs    
0.50 oz           Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs  

Undecided whether to pitch 34/70 or M41 (Abbey)

#411 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:34 AM

First run recipe for an inaugural BIAB (to set baseline).  My estimations, based on all things being the same except for the bag & water loss due to grain. 

Boil Size: 7.25 gal, Post Boil Volume: 5.25 gal, Est OG: 1.049, Est Color: 3.7 SRM, Est IBU: 22.5, Brewhouse Efficiency: Est 70.00% - TBD, Boil Time: 40 Minutes

9 lbs             German Pilsner      
8.0 oz            Cara-Pils/Dextrine       
8.0 oz            Vienna Malt       
0.50 oz           Magnum at 20.0 min 16.3 IBUs   
2.00 oz           Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 5.0 min 6.1 IBUs    
0.50 oz           Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs  

Undecided whether to pitch 34/70 or M41 (Abbey)

34/70

#412 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:47 AM

34/70

I know right....  It's just I have two lagers on tap right now but damn I do love me a 34/70 clear beer....................

#413 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:57 AM

To me, 34/70 is a desert island yeast. 

If I were stranded on a desert isle, had the facilities/ingredients/means/etc to brew, but could only have 2 or 3 yeasts, 34/70 would be the first one i'd pick.

#414 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:08 PM

To me, 34/70 is a desert island yeast. 

If I were stranded on a desert isle, had the facilities/ingredients/means/etc to brew, but could only have 2 or 3 yeasts, 34/70 would be the first one i'd pick.

I'll have used 34/70 at least 5 times including this batch and I have to agree :)

#415 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:30 AM

I've been brewing a lot of hoppy beer lately- my "NE Bitter", a India Black Ale for a club comp, etc. I still have a Dry Irish stout and Mexican Lager on the taps; But In the mood for a classic style of beer. Found a Recipe for Victory's Zeltbier, Had it once at the main production brewery some time ago, and it was amazing! drinks like a festbier, light in color and toasty malt, but the hops give it a herbal counter balance, and this beer is best enjoyed by the liter. All German Pils, with Hallertau Tradition, Hallertau Miff, and Tettneg. going to do a single decoction with it, just because its been awhile and have the tolerance for a long brew session.  

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 07 September 2018 - 07:31 AM.

#416 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

First BIAB went just okay. I didn’t lose the typical strike water temp and after mashing in I was at 160. I typically lose 10 degrees. Added a quart of cold water and after 30 minutes was at 151. So there’s that. This means when I dial in my mash in I’ll need some type of jacket for the Kettle. Squeezed the bag and boiled. Tossed about a quart of hoppy mucky wort too. At estimated 70% of conservative efficiency I expected to be surprised by far better. Estimated gravity was 49 and I ended up with 50. Do you think the extra water and temperature issues were the cause? I never began a mash so high and again, with my tun I am always dead on at 10 degrees higher.

Oh well it isn’t the first brewing process I had to dial in.

Positive: less equipment used, less clean up

#417 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16667 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:57 AM

First BIAB went just okay. I didn’t lose the typical strike water temp and after mashing in I was at 160. I typically lose 10 degrees. Added a quart of cold water and after 30 minutes was at 151. So there’s that. This means when I dial in my mash in I’ll need some type of jacket for the Kettle. Squeezed the bag and boiled. Tossed about a quart of hoppy mucky wort too. At estimated 70% of conservative efficiency I expected to be surprised by far better. Estimated gravity was 49 and I ended up with 50. Do you think the extra water and temperature issues were the cause? I never began a mash so high and again, with my tun I am always dead on at 10 degrees higher.

Oh well it isn’t the first brewing process I had to dial in.

Positive: less equipment used, less clean up

This time of year (warm weather) I just leave the kettle on the burner then toss an old blanket/comforter over the top of it. In Florida, outdoors, I have to imagine your heat loss will be minimal with a blanket over the top. Since I began using a mash cap my heat loss is even less. I never imagined it would make a difference at all but it most certainly does.

Increased gravity could have been many things especially since it was a small bump. Mashing in at 160 would have guaranteed you pretty much complete gelatinization of starches and certainly could have resulted in the bump. Mashing at 147-148F does not always get you complete gelatinization depnding on the malt. Same reason folks often see a bump when using an alpha rest or mashing out.

#418 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:10 AM

Interesting input, thank you much. From all I read I was honestly expecting an efficiency north of 75, that’s my thought at least. Well next batch I will again use 10# grain and the exact strike water. Go no more than 5 degrees above desired mash temp an find some type of insulation to hold at the 153’ish.

What’s a mash cap?

#419 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

Never mind found mash cap

#420 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54154 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:25 AM

Brewday is in the home stretch with this helles.  Wort is chilling in the sink with ice and will be transferred to primary in about 15 minutes.  Very smooth brewday and the tweaks I made to the grist appear to have come out as I envisioned.  Cheers peeps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users