#1 thool

thool

Comptroller of Great Pendulous Videos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

I make a double batch so there is a lot left to freeze. Salt and pepper are all to taste. This is probably the cheapest and most tasty food you will ever make, and is a good source of protein and fiber.

4 medium onions

8 cloves of garlic

Extra virgin olive oil

Salt

Pepper

2 1-lb bags dried lentils

1. Sort lentils to remove stones/sticks, soak overnight in large pot (reserve pot) with enough water to cover and then some.

2. Strain all lentils from pot and set them aside in a mixing bowl, add more water to reserve pot, boil water.

3. Run onions and garlic through food processor until coarsely chopped.

4. Add chopped onions/garlic to large pot (main pot, mine is 17 qt) with olive oil, salt (about 2T to start), pepper. Cook on medium until onions are translucent.

5. Into main pot, add boiled water from reserve pot, bring to a boil.

6. Add lentils, bring to boil over medium high, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.

7. Reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, stir every 20 minutes for 4-6 hours. It may help to use the reserve pot to add more boiling water to make it to the time without getting too thick.

8. Final consistence should be soupy, almost like a thin stew or gravy. Add salt and pepper to taste; you may need to add 2-3T salt.

Posted Image

For serving, I boil up a pound of ditalini in salted water. In the bowl, lay down about a cup of the pasta first, then ladle the lentils over it. I like to add some butter, a little EV olive oil, and grated parmesan/romano.

Posted Image

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

I can't see your pics but are the lentils pretty much gone after all of this?  I've never soaked lentils b/c they cook so fast.  I have to think this method would basically disintegrate them so they become soup thickener.  is that right?

#3 thool

thool

Comptroller of Great Pendulous Videos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Slow cooking keeps about a third somewhat whole, and the other 2/3 dissolve into a rich base. That, plus the reduction over time, thickens the soup. There are skins, but they are very soft.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users