#121 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hey Ken, looks like you have some competition in the beautiful, clear, lager department. :D

My latest: a clone of Great Lakes' Nosferatu Imperial Red/Stock Ale.  A tad light on color, but the taste is outstanding and (IMHO) an improvement over the commerical version.

Posted Image

I am pretty sure I need this beer in my life.

#122 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

That is why I asked him for the recipe.  It is posted now by the way.

#123 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

Hey Ken, looks like you have some competition in the beautiful, clear, lager department. :D

Yeah, that's a gorgeous beer right there. I'll take all the competition in the clear-beer department I can get. My mission is to get all homebrewer's beer to look like "beer" and not "homebrew"! :P

#124 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

Again, thanks for the kind feedback, guys, I appreciate it.  :blush: As Brother Ken has posted about many times in the past, pH is probably the main reason why I even posted that pic of my Nosferatu clone.

The last 4-5 batches I've made have focused more on pH than in the past; my local water here in Cincy does have a decent bit of bicarbonate in it, so I've been adding lactic acid to my mash and sparge water, and the above pic is testament to the results.

I'll post more pics of future batches as they come online, cuz let's face it, too much beer pron is a good thing.  :frank:

yes, you do.  :D

If you brew it, please let me know how it turns out.

#125 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

Again, thanks for the kind feedback, guys, I appreciate it.  :blush: As Brother Ken has posted about many times in the past, pH is probably the main reason why I even posted that pic of my Nosferatu clone. The last 4-5 batches I've made have focused more on pH than in the past; my local water here in Cincy does have a decent bit of bicarbonate in it, so I've been adding lactic acid to my mash and sparge water, and the above pic is testament to the results. I'll post more pics of future batches as they come online, cuz let's face it, too much beer pron is a good thing.  :frank:

Yes sir, I am listening to what you're preaching. I actually had some success getting beers of that color pretty clear but my pale beers were horrendous. A bit of pH attention (neutralizing the bicarb with acid) and everything fell into place with beers in the 3-5 SRM range. It's a good feeling for sure.

#126 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

It's a terrific feeling, indeed, to be able to make a straw-colored lager and a dry stout with the same water, with a little futzing with the water either way.

#127 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

Glass of Signature Ale I'm drinking right now...Posted Image

#128 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

That's gettin' it done.  Looks delish.

#129 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

Ken, beauty beer.  The Signature Ale is your Memory Lapse right?  Either way, care to show your latest tweaked recipe?

Cheers

#130 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

Ken, beauty beer.  The Signature Ale is your Memory Lapse right?  Either way, care to show your latest tweaked recipe?

Cheers

Signature and MLPA are different  https://www.freewebs...ard/recipes.htm

#131 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

Thank you ;)

I recently made MLPA and it came out nice, very nice.  I'd might lighten the crystal next round.  Signature looks fantastic too!

#132 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

Thank you ;)

I recently made MLPA and it came out nice, very nice.  I'd might lighten the crystal next round.  Signature looks fantastic too!

It does.  I have wanted to make it but change the hop the Northern Brewer, I think Ken has done it this way too.

#133 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

NB sounds just right (too).  I have some in arsenal.  I was going to do a Brown Sipper next but may change up.

#134 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

I hate you, Ken. I'm thirsty now.

#135 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

I hate you, Ken. I'm thirsty now.

You and me both.  Just glad I am leaving soon and the kegs are cold.

#136 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

LOL. I may have another beer pic to post tonight... it's 70° & sunny here today and I plan to have a couple glasses of helles... or possibly my pale bock. Get ready for more pics!On the Signature, I have used Magnum, Northern Brewer, Opal and a couple of other clean hops. It's not much different from MLPA... one addition of a clean hop (a bigger addition though) and no other hops in the beer, a neutral yeast, etc. It's a very nice beer and this keg is getting light. The keg of MLPA (that I tapped into bottles for Rich) is next on that tap and I'm looking forward to that one too. Cheers Brothers.

#137 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

Ken, tell me about the opal hops.

#138 haeffnkr

haeffnkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Peters MO

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

Yes sir, I am listening to what you're preaching. I actually had some success getting beers of that color pretty clear but my pale beers were horrendous. A bit of pH attention (neutralizing the bicarb with acid) and everything fell into place with beers in the 3-5 SRM range. It's a good feeling for sure.

What ph target do you shoot for?

#139 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

Ken, tell me about the opal hops.

I just used some of these and they were some of the best smelling german hops I've ever smelled. Very spicy. 

What ph target do you shoot for?

Normal PH's I'm sure. He just wants to reduce the residual alkalinity when he adds acid so that there isn't a buffer against the PH getting to the right range.

#140 haeffnkr

haeffnkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Peters MO

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

Normal PH's I'm sure. He just wants to reduce the residual alkalinity when he adds acid so that there isn't a buffer against the PH getting to the right range.

Ah... I guess that is not an issue then if  you are building water from RO/DI, like I am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users