#41 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

I get that the equipment doesn't make good beer but it does make making beer more enjoyable. I'm going SS because the reviews for the chiller on MW's site are outstanding, also it doesn't oxidize.

Edited by Jdtirado, 25 February 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I get that the equipment doesn't make good beer but it does make making beer more enjoyable. I'm going SS because the reviews for the chiller on MW's site are outstanding, also it doesn't oxidize.

I wouldn't worry about the heat transfer properties too much here. I would worry about cost. I'd pick whatever was the cheaper material.

#43 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Not sure what size you were going with but these are priced pretty well https://www.nybrewsu...er-38-x-50.html I have no idea what shipping will be.

#44 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Not sure what size you were going with but these are priced pretty well https://www.nybrewsu...er-38-x-50.html I have no idea what shipping will be.

Awesome price. Ordered it

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Awesome price. Ordered it

How bad was shipping?

#46 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

How bad was shipping?

15 bucks. Still cheaper than MW

Edited by Jdtirado, 25 February 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#47 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

15 bucks. Still cheaper than MW

Good .. now go brew some damn beer already!

#48 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Good .. now go brew some damn beer already!

Come build my electric system

#49 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Come build my electric system

Learn to brew with the system you've got and then I'll come build you an electric brewery.

#50 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

It's easy to brew better beer than "commercial" beer because you are brewing to your tastes for the most part. There are some fantastic commercial beers, but very few are perfect for everybody.Quality - Clarity, shelf life, carbonation, infection, are easier to control on a commercial level. That being said, commercial beer is brewed to make money, not to satisfy your personal tastes so brewing a delicious beer that you love is going to be easier.

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Learn to brew with the system you've got and then drez and I will come build you an electric brewery.

+1 ..[mod edit - FTFY]

#52 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

That being said, commercial beer is brewed to make money, not to satisfy your personal tastes so brewing a delicious beer that you love is going to be easier.

This is an extremely good point and really comes into play when brewing those very special beers. For example the dark saison that I brew has caramelized dried cherries in it. What commercial brewery is going to use that for an ingredient?

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

This is an extremely good point and really comes into play when brewing those very special beers. For example the dark saison that I brew has caramelized dried cherries in it. What commercial brewery is going to use that for an ingredient?

Yum!

#54 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I have been trying to get the following point across to members of my local home brew club for a LONG time:(1) Brewers make WORT(2) Yeast make BEERWe all have a tendency to focus our time and energy on the fun topics, gadgetry, and design of the equipment we use for wort production (heck, some of us even endeavor to learn a lot more about stuff like BREWING WATER.....you know who you are <G>).HOWEVER how many of us have occasionally taken shortcuts in in the boring aspects of cleaning and sanitation of our fermentation and serving equipment? How many of us do not always pitch an adequate population of yeast cells in peak condition to ferment our wort (we can leave strain selection off the table for now)? How many of us actually CONTROL our fermentation temperatures as opposed to hoping that it doesn't get too hot or too cold? I have been at this hobby for a LONG time and have been guilty of all three. I can honestly state without reservation that the single greatest contributor to improved product coming out of my brewery has been a far greater focus on the FERMENTATION side of the equation with a better handle on pitching rates and full control of fermentation temperature.

#55 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Couldn't agree more MB.

#56 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Couldn't agree more MB.

Yep. If you don't deal with the fermentation side, all the other stuff you do is meaningless.

#57 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't think pitching rates are all that important to good beer, but definitely fermentation temperature.

#58 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25666 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I don't think pitching rates are all that important to good beer

Uh-Oh.

#59 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

#60 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I don't think pitching rates are all that important to good beer, but definitely fermentation temperature.

I have made some really disappointing beer before I changed my tune about pitching rates. Belgians excluded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users