#1 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I hope that this comes across clearly, but one of the things that attracted me to home brewing is making really great beer at home. Before starting on this hobby, I was told that a home brewer can make just as good a product, even better, than commercial breweries, so with this information in mind I set off trying to learn how to brew. The thing is that I find myself buying really great beers like Firestone and others. Maybe I'm a bit critical of my own product but I haven't made a really great beer. This may be due commercial overhype and the fact that I haven't been brewing long enough to get good.If money and availability weren't a problem, I'm not sure that I would brew! Instead, i would simply buy some of the great beers out there. I guess this may stem from feeling like my last few brews didn't turn out as I would have hoped.

#2 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

hang in there. I'm my own worst critic too. If my beer isn't commercial grade then I have to try harder. They are finally getting up there.

#3 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

JD how many batches have you brewed?

#4 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

No where near enough! I think I know where this is going lol.

#5 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I felt like that at first but after a few years under my belt, I enjoy mine "most times" over a commercial of the same style.I just kept tweaking a few recipes until i got them the way I like. I think many people keep trying new recipes rather then concentrating on getting one right before they move on and that's cool too. Each to their own.That said, there are many styles I've never attempted.

#6 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

But, would you brew even if you had the cash to purchase all of your favorite beers? I'm guessing the answer for most of you will be yes

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

13 years here and still tweaking all the time. I do believe home brewers can make great beer that is better than commercial beer. I have had some God-awful commercial beer! Just because beer is commercial does not automatically mean it's great. Your beer should be fresher and more tailored to your tastebuds. But it does take awhile and you need to get every part of your process tight. Keep brewing!

Edited by KenLenard, 24 February 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#8 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

What's been said man. A novice can brew decent beer, good beer even, but it takes time and practice to get to "great" beer. That's just how it is.

#9 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19205 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

What's been said man. A novice can brew decent beer, god beer even, but it takes time and price to get to "great" beer. That's just how it is.

I brewed some great hefeweizens as a novice brewer*, but in general I agree with you. It takes time to get to great beer.*purely coincidentally, this is a style of beer that can work with simplistic grain bills, simple hops bills, underpitched yeast, and higher fermentation temperatures. Not that I would have done all those things as a novice brewer, of course.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

But, would you brew even if you had the cash to purchase all of your favorite beers? I'm guessing the answer for most of you will be yes

Sure, just like I'd rather cook than buy pre made food. I enjoy the process at least as much as the finished product. Are my beers as good as "commercial" beers? it depends. There are a lot of mediocre commercial beers and there are a lot of great ones. My Rochefort 10 is damn good, but it'll never be as good as the real thing. Same thing with my version of Celebration, for instance. OTOH, some of my beers are as good as some commercial beers. As has been said, experience helps. Maybe concentrate on one recipe and brew it over and over until it's completely repeatable. That will really help you understand what's going on and why.

#11 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25598 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

If all you consider what ends up in the glass, I cannot say my beer is "better" than what you can buy.I like experimenting, learning the brewing process, seeing what I can do.I can brew Denny's Rye IPA, I can buy Hop Rod Rye IPA. Is one better than the other? These days, with the variety and quality of beer available, homebrewing is not the only path to interesting beer. I homebrew for reasons other than saving money and/or significantly expanding the variety of beer for me to drink.

#12 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

If all you consider what ends up in the glass, I cannot say my beer is "better" than what you can buy.I like experimenting, learning the brewing process, seeing what I can do.I can brew Denny's Rye IPA, I can buy Hop Rod Rye IPA. Is one better than the other? These days, with the variety and quality of beer available, homebrewing is not the only path to interesting beer. I homebrew for reasons other than saving money and/or significantly expanding the variety of beer for me to drink.

This is what I was getting at. Thanks

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Sure, just like I'd rather cook than buy pre made food. I enjoy the process at least as much as the finished product. Are my beers as good as "commercial" beers? it depends. There are a lot of mediocre commercial beers and there are a lot of great ones. My Rochefort 10 is damn good, but it'll never be as good as the real thing. Same thing with my version of Celebration, for instance. OTOH, some of my beers are as good as some commercial beers. As has been said, experience helps. Maybe concentrate on one recipe and brew it over and over until it's completely repeatable. That will really help you understand what's going on and why.

This is the key for me. If I lived in a place where good beers wasn't as readily available, my motivation might be different. I can brew beers that rival commercial beers, not always but frequently. However, brewing is fun and I enjoy the process. I think I learn something every time I brew. I also take pride in a well-made beer in two different ways. When I serve it to friends who are knowledgeable enough to appreciate a good beer and they like it, I take pride in that. Also when I serve it to members of the club, some of whom are national judges, and THEY enjoy it, then I really take pride in it.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Yeah it does take a while. I know I'm making much better stuff than 7 years ago. And I think all of us make one sometimes that while not a stinker, just isn't pleasurable to drink. It happens. And we are sometimes either way too proud of what we brewed or way to critical. I'm going to dump a gallon of Alt in a minute to clean some kegs. It scored a 37 last weekend. I don't like it and can't face drinking anymore of it - but obviously others though differently. And we don't have the resources for consistency that the big time pros have. I think most of us can make something as good or better than say the top 80% of commercial beers. Quite a few can make something as good or better than 90%..... etc.. The top 1% probably not. Anyway, don't give up. IIRC you don't really have a club or such around where you can get feedback. I'll bet your brews are turning out better than you think.

#15 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

It's funny but when I first started brewing I thought to myself...I will never buy a commercial beer ever again. Then I saw some really good brewers going into our store and coming out with bottle after bottle of beer and thought to myself what gives? Now I have tons of really good commercial beers and only one homemade keg, albeit some bottles of my stuff.

#16 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19205 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

It's funny but when I first started brewing I thought to myself...I will never buy a commercial beer ever again. Then I saw some really good brewers going into our store and coming out with bottle after bottle of beer and thought to myself what gives? Now I have tons of really good commercial beers and only one homemade keg, albeit some bottles of my stuff.

I don't think it's an either/or question. Homebrewing helps me to understand and appreciate commercial beers, and commercial beers help me to show me what's possible in brewing. Brewing beer and buying beer go together, they don't replace each other.

#17 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I don't buy much commercial anymore. The wife will when something new is released and then picks up extra. We have way to much cellared.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Yes...

#19 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yes...

Duh!!!!!! I see what you buy and know you have tons in your fermenters

#20 HVB