Photo
- - - - -

When was the last time you brewed?

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

Poll: Last Brew (86 member(s) have cast votes)

When was the last time you brewed beer.

1. Voted This month (32 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

2. Last month (12 votes [13.95%])

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

3. Voted Jan 12 - Mar 12 (9 votes [10.47%])

Percentage of vote: 10.47%

4. 2011 (13 votes [15.12%])

Percentage of vote: 15.12%

5. Before 2011 (18 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

6. Voted I've never brewed. (2 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22585 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Brewed in january. Got infected and had to dump it. Need to give everything a solid cleaning and sterilizing.

#22 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43073 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Two batches of British Style Ages utilising London Ale III sit stuck in my basement, awaiting for me to get some other yeast to finish them off. Almost 170 batches and only my second bout with stuck fermentation.I haven't broken any rules talking about this stuff have I?

how many batches of beer did you pitch that yeast on prior to said batch?

#23 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Cyser last fall. All of my aging brews have had the airlocks dry out, so they need to be pitched. My own fault, but that's one of a hundred things that have simply been forgotten because we've been too busy.Since I'll be home with a lot more time on my hands, this summer I'm planning to clean things up, break down and clean all of my kegs, and lay down a good bit of mead so that it'll be ready when fresh fruit is in season. It's been too many years of whiskey and my soul could use some mead.

Give it to the people who step on your lawn.Dan

#24 Marmot

Marmot

Advanced "Member"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts
  • LocationI am definitely not Weeper

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

I think 2010 was the last time I did an all-grain beer. Since I got on the triathlon kick in 2009, I don't drink much anymore. I have enough HB here to get me through a lengthy zombiepocalypse (assuming it hasn't gone bad in bottles and kegs). I'd like to do more wine (should have stopped at NB last weekend when I was in the Twin Cities). I have done a few batches of wild hard cider in recent years with mixed results. I think I will have a glass of cider for a night cap. Marmot

#25 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

I would brew a lot more if I had the $$$, with having two households and all the driving I do its just not in the cards. That may all change soon, 22 more days.The biggest problem we will have is space. We need a place here where I work that has a garage. But I do plan on doing at least one brew each month.Dan

#26 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43073 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Don't toss it! I guess I don't need to tell you to taste it first, but CO2 is heavier than air. Even with a dry airlock, you may be okay! Even if it isn't great for consumption, make vinegar, distill it (hypothetically), or use it for cooking! I just hate to see anything (especially booze) go to waste!

OHHH OHHH can we make malt vinegared eggs with it? Bleedeth this thread does...You be suprised how much character an aged high gravity ale retains with "over exposure." (IE ScottS lil #### up situation) Oxidation is a hallmark of aged HGA's..... Come home in a good mood, and drink NOTHING prior to sampling your wares.... Unless you have a calibration beer similar in style to yours.... Oh, and by the way.....Posted Image

#27 davobrew

davobrew

Comptroller of Triple Posts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

how many batches of beer did you pitch that yeast on prior to said batch?

Actually the it's two batches, the first and the second pitched onthe yeast cake. All normal in the conversion, brew et al. Warmed the batches and still stuck at 030 (from 056). Used a multistep conversion so should have a low FG.Wait..I see what you did!!

#28 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33964 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

last saturday. it's my 7th batch so far this year.

#29 HERMSman

HERMSman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I try to brew two beers per month.Fermenting: Phat TireNext up: Citra Imperial IPA

#30 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

The issue I see with the board is similar to the dynamic we have in my club. For the most part people know what they are doing and when things go less than stellar we typically have the knowledge to identify it and make adjustments. There's little need to talk process when you know what you want to do, know how to do it, and can find a solution when things go wrong.

#31 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Cyser last fall. All of my aging brews have had the airlocks dry out, so they need to be pitched. My own fault, but that's one of a hundred things that have simply been forgotten because we've been too busy.Since I'll be home with a lot more time on my hands, this summer I'm planning to clean things up, break down and clean all of my kegs, and lay down a good bit of mead so that it'll be ready when fresh fruit is in season. It's been too many years of whiskey and my soul could use some mead.

I need to get some of those waterless silicone breathers, as this has happened too many times to me as well

#32 davobrew

davobrew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

Actually a secondary, unofficial poll.How long does it take during your brew day before your significant other starts complaining how much time brewing takes and how you always seem to be in your brewery and not helping out around the house?I start at 8:00 AM, and get the first rumblings around 3:00 PM. So 7 hours (I do multi step mashes with about a 2 hour boil, so my brew days are rather lengthy).

#33 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Actually a secondary, unofficial poll.How long does it take during your brew day before your significant other starts complaining how much time brewing takes and how you always seem to be in your brewery and not helping out around the house?I start at 8:00 AM, and get the first rumblings around 3:00 PM. So 7 hours (I do multi step mashes with about a 2 hour boil, so my brew days are rather lengthy).

10 gals in 5-6 hours. SWMBO doesn't complain, rather she encourages me. If it didn't work this way, we wouldn't work this way. YMMV

#34 davobrew

davobrew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Heck, my wife recently let me build a brewery, provided we also extend to a new bedroom, living area, and remodelling of the rest of the house. I thought that was pretty reasonable.A small (well, a rather hefty) pice to pay for a brand spanking new man cave.

#35 Bigfoot99

Bigfoot99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationI don't exist

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

Brewed on the 23rd of March - a session ale and a blueberry ale (split 10 gallon batch). Need to head to the brew store and get another sack of grain.

#36 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Brewed 4 batches in January and have been in a funk since, I still drink a lot though.

#37 tjbsilv

tjbsilv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Brewed 10g of DFH60 last month. Still working on disposing of that, probably should brew again soon!TJ

#38 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43073 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Actually the it's two batches, the first and the second pitched onthe yeast cake. All normal in the conversion, brew et al. Warmed the batches and still stuck at 030 (from 056). Used a multistep conversion so should have a low FG.Wait..I see what you did!!

Xfer to 2ndary, & suck some yeast inton the 2ndary... you'd be suprised to see that rousing the yeast a lil (and raising your temp by 2-4 degrees) priory to 2ndary xfer will magically shave off of a few xtra points... True Story....

#39 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43073 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Brewed 4 batches in January and have been in a funk hangin out with Lesbians at Lord Hobo ever since...., I still drink a metric shit ton though.

I hear you.... Stay strong Irishman.... Stay strong.... *fistpump*

#40 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

I hear you.... Stay strong Irishman.... Stay strong.... *fistpump*

Yeah seems I typoed my post thanks Moon :chug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic