positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

the 1450 really seems to allow both the malt and hops to shine

it's a fantastic yeast. i used the last of mine for this beer b/c it was 5th or 6th generation. i'll be picking up more.

#222 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

it's a fantastic yeast. i used the last of mine for this beer b/c it was 5th or 6th generation. i'll be picking up more.

I have a gen 3 slurry up next, prolly a nice APA, but I am seriously leaning mock PilsnerI could see this becoming a big favorite yeast

#223 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

I have a gen 3 slurry up next, prolly a nice APA, but I am seriously leaning mock PilsnerI could see this becoming a big favorite yeast

i like the malty aspect of it.

#224 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25770 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

i like the malty aspect of it.

Yet another reason to trust and listen to Denny Conn.

#225 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

i didn't get to cold crash my primary before kegging this and it's really showing here. every pint I pull right now starts out clear (or at least clearish) from the beer in the line and dip tube then transitions to a really cloudy part and then to a less cloudy part. at some point i'll drink all this yeast. at least it tastes good!

Edited by StudsTerkel, 18 June 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#226 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

after 2 weeks of cold in the keg this beer is hitting it's strideThe pour is good from the tap, there is a wee bit of haze at first pour, which very quickly disipates, leaving a strikingly nice looking red ale with a pretty dirty blonde head. Color is identical to the 16 SRM Prediction from Promash for my iteration, the 16 oz Pilsner glass is copper- amber with a dark copper core in the center, and nicely clearAroma is nice, a light sweet floral bouquet from the combination of Centennial and Motueka is evident, and pleasant, the citrus is there but not overstated, the malty sweetness from the Munich and Rye are mingled in there with that.Mouthfeel is just right, not heavy, not bone dry, but even, just shading toward heavy.. barelyFlavor is money in the bank, the spicy character of the Rye is present, and blends nicely with the bitterness of the hop, accentuating it, in the aftertaste. Overall a malty first impression but the hops come up quickly and make there presence known. The aftertaste on the pallet makes me want another.A decent recipe

#227 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

mine is just starting to clear up. no more yeast in the first pour and we are moving towards clarity. this is what I get for not cold crashing prior to transferring from primary to keg. i'm like the anti-ken on this one :lol:I apologize I couldn't find the official thread with the search function :blush:[mod edit - merged with official thread]

#228 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Shared some of this with Guest, strangebrewer and Odacrem yesterday. Everybody seemed to really like it. I still think it's a very good recipe and I definitely plan to make it again.

#229 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Shared some of this with Guest, strangebrewer and Odacrem yesterday. Everybody seemed to really like it. I still think it's a very good recipe and I definitely plan to make it again.

it'd be interesting as a lager with a magnum bittering charge and a flavor only edition at 15 minutes, and around 1/1 ratio

#230 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

I am behind the times. I just brewed this yesterday, but didn't have Centennial, so just substituted Columbus since I have a lot of that on hand. It won't be the same beer, but I hope it will be similar enough.Although, I also changed the yeast(s) - I split the batch between WL090 and WY4347, these are my starters for my barleywines.

#231 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

RIP Spring Community Brew :(the Keg is Dead, Long Live the Keg!

#232 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

RIP Spring Community Brew :(the Keg is Dead, Long Live the Keg!

Musta been good!

#233 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Musta been good!

it was :frank:

#234 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I don't know how much I've got left but I don't think it's very much. This has been my favorite community brew so far.

#235 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

I don't know how much I've got left but I don't think it's very much. This has been my favorite community brew so far.

I figured i had a half gallon ishI didn'tno i have no hoppy beer :crybaby:luckily i just brewed up a new IPA yesterday

#236 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

Ok I'm FINALLY getting around to this one... couple questions for the peanut gallery:1.) LHBS only has White Labs... so 1450 is out. I have some Bells yeast up and running, ok sub or should I go and get something like Cal V or Chico?2.) No centennials here. I have a ton of Columbus and Cascade, I also have some Delta and Palisade (both have played well off the cascades), any ideas for a sub?3.) 1.063 is about where I like to hit my IPAs for an OG, so have any of you upped the IBUs into the 60s? Maybe a 1:1 Grist:IBU ratio?

#237 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

I did this split in WY4347 and WL090. Very interesting results. The 4347 dried it out quite a bit more, and the 090 was much more balanced. My brewclub members had a much better taste for the differences - cheflamont tried both samples and noticed a marked difference. I definitely prefer the 090, but it was a good experiment. I don't often split batches to see the influence of the yeast. Plus, I used this batch to grow up the yeast for my Barleywine, and I am interested to see how that turns out.

#238 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Ok I'm FINALLY getting around to this one... couple questions for the peanut gallery:1.) LHBS only has White Labs... so 1450 is out. I have some Bells yeast up and running, ok sub or should I go and get something like Cal V or Chico?2.) No centennials here. I have a ton of Columbus and Cascade, I also have some Delta and Palisade (both have played well off the cascades), any ideas for a sub?3.) 1.063 is about where I like to hit my IPAs for an OG, so have any of you upped the IBUs into the 60s? Maybe a 1:1 Grist:IBU ratio?

Thanks gnef, any other thoughts? Anyone?

Edited by johnpreuss, 12 August 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#239 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Cal V would be good I think, feel free to put the IBU wherever you feel appropriate, the malt backbone in this beer can handle it

#240 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49875 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

I pulled it off with less than a half gallon from the 10 gallon batch. It will be gone tomorrow. Great stuff. It will get brewed again though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users