#241 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

Finally getting to brew this today. Just mashed in, no pale chocolate, and I'm going to sub Bells yeast because that's what I have up and running.

#242 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Finally getting to brew this today. Just mashed in, no pale chocolate, and I'm going to sub Bells yeast because that's what I have up and running.

I used an approximate mix of regular Chocolate Malt and Victory

#243 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Cal V would be good I think, feel free to put the IBU wherever you feel appropriate, the malt backbone in this beer can handle it

well I hit it with 5 oz of hops in the the last 15 min, 1.25 oz of a cascade palisade Columbus blend every 5 till flame out.

#244 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

well I hit it with 5 oz of hops in the the last 15 min, 1.25 oz of a cascade palisade Columbus blend every 5 till flame out.

that's gonna POP!

#245 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hope so... should be nice... 1:1 IBU:Grav Pts

Edited by johnpreuss, 19 August 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#246 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Just opened the BB Rye Ale that I brewed a month and a half ago and wanted to post some follow-up. This brew was frought with problems. The sparge got stuck and I had too much volume, so I had to boil longer. Additionally, I had problems when I put the hops in too early. The beer is an amber color bordering on red. The beer tasted pretty good (awesome in fact) but the hop bitter present almost makes me think that this should be an IPA. Bottomline, I don't think that I could replicate this, but as everyone said...it will still good beer. It is certainly good beer.

#247 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

The beer is an amber color bordering on red. The beer tasted pretty good (awesome in fact) but the hop bitter present almost makes me think that this should be an IPA.

Well what did you think it was?

#248 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Well what did you think it was?

Based on the recipe IBU, I didn't think it was an IPA. Glad I now love IPA's

#249 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Based on the recipe IBU, I didn't think it was an IPA. Glad I now love IPA's

It'd be a stretch to put it in any BJCP category but if you had to enter it into a comp, I'd go with IPA.And nobody really has any idea what the IBU's are.

#250 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

This beer is awesome! It was a nice surprise.

Edited by Jdtirado, 28 August 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#251 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

JD - I bumped my IBUS on purpose, I say if it tastes good you did good! Even if it really isn't what you envisioned it to be when you first started planning the brew. Sometimes that will be the most interesting brew.

#252 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25770 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

I brewed and bottled this beer. As is my habit, I distribute some bottles to friends and co-workers.One co-worker told me this morning, "Hey zymot, I had your beer this weekend. I liked it. It reminded me of a nice Guiness. Real dark and tastey!"I did not know what to say. My beer looks like a rich amber, little darker than SNPA. It tastes like an American Pale Ale, with a nice balance of rye and little extra hops than an APA.A g\Guiness? He did admot he drank it from a frosted glass. A big no-no in the "House Of The Rising zymot" pub. Kills the flavors and aromas - dead.Another guy in the office tried it and gave it a fair enough description. We both shook our heads over "just like a Guiness."

#253 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

I brewed and bottled this beer. As is my habit, I distribute some bottles to friends and co-workers.One co-worker told me this morning, "Hey zymot, I had your beer this weekend. I liked it. It reminded me of a nice Guiness. Real dark and tastey!"I did not know what to say. My beer looks like a rich amber, little darker than SNPA. It tastes like an American Pale Ale, with a nice balance of rye and little extra hops than an APA.A gGuiness? He did admot he drank it from a frosted glass. A big no-no in the "House Of The Rising zymot" pub. Kills the flavors and aromas - dead.Another guy in the office tried it and gave it a fair enough description. We both shook our heads over "just like a Guiness."

sometimes people compare one of my beers to something that makes no sense at all or they can't even come close to placing the style (even other homebrewers). I sometimes wonder if I'm that far off the mark but I don't think I am...

#254 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

sometimes people compare one of my beers to something that makes no sense at all or they can't even come close to placing the style (even other homebrewers). I sometimes wonder if I'm that far off the mark but I don't think I am...

in other news, the average Joe is a beer idiot

#255 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

A gGuiness? He did admot he drank it from a frosted glass. A big no-no in the "House Of The Rising zymot" pub. Kills the flavors and aromas - dead.

Tell me more about this! Maybe in a separate thread since I don't want to offend the thread

#256 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

Tell me more about this! Maybe in a separate thread since I don't want to offend the thread

Done.

#257 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

that's gonna POP!

so I popped the top on the bucket tonight to transfer to a secondary and BAM HOP BLAST to the face. LOVE that!The beautiful reddish brown color is awesome as well.

#258 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

can't find the original thread for the life of me. here is a pic I never posted. the glass is a little sweaty so it doesn't show off the clarity that great but this is a pretty accurate representation of the color.httpss://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6NW84WDC-Vk/UIp7JXdmUgI/AAAAAAAAMxg/spQNhbRWX7E/s720/CIMG4077.JPG

#259 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Beautiful color! I'll see if I can find the thread and merge this into it.Should we start thinking about another one?Edit: took like 30 seconds to find it. :P

#260 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Beautiful color! I'll see if I can find the thread and merge this into it.Should we start thinking about another one?Edit: took like 30 seconds to find it. :P

that even seems too long! thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users