#1 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm brewing an American IPA based off the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles, but I'm changing it up a little.- No Horizon hops at the Bell's General Store, so I'm bittering with Magnums- Do a late extract, partial boil on my stove top because it's too cold to stand in my garage- Also, I'm adding a oz of each Simcoe, Centennial, and Amarillo whole hops as dry hops in the kegShould be tastey!One interesting thing about my trip to Bell's General Store was that I picked up both pellet hops (for the boil) and leaf hops (for dry hopping) and I was looking at my receipt and the Amarillo leaf hops were $1.90, but the Amarillo pellet hops were $6.00! Everything else was similarly priced as far as leaf vs. pellets.

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

I had plans to make it bell's store yesterday,never made it. Feels lucky to have access to it. I have been to other lhbs that have dust-covered kits and really old hops. I'm brewing next week for sure.During the' great hop shortage' of 06 they limited your hops,but never gouged with high prices.

#3 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

About ready to start on a session gravity janet's brown ale, then over to the neighbors to help with some tortilla pressing and carnitas.

#4 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

I brewed up an American Hefe. Hopped with Amarillo and Glacier. This is my second exact (full wort boil) brew after 5 years of all grain. Man, 3 hour brew days are great!

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:42 AM

Since it is a long weekend for me, I am brewing today. 10 gallons of Scottish 80/-. I am doing it the old way too; just golden promise and a little roasted barley for color. Collect first gallon and boil down to around a pint for carmel flavor.I plan on taking one keg of it and oaking it maybe even with a vanilla bean to get something in the neighborhood of inns and gunn. I am not looking for a clone but something in the same spirit. We'll see.

#6 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

I had plans to make it bell's store yesterday,never made it. Feels lucky to have access to it. I have been to other lhbs that have dust-covered kits and really old hops. I'm brewing next week for sure.During the' great hop shortage' of 06 they limited your hops,but never gouged with high prices.

It's a decent store, but I moved here from Minneapolis and had Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies within a 5 minute drive from my house. It seems like this area could really use a true homebrew store. Of course, it's better than anything I had in Kentucky. And I also have problems with my money going to Larry Bell's lawyers so that they can sue people because they have bells on their label.The brew went well and reminded me that I should do an extract batch here and there to keep some beer around the house (plus, it keeps inside when it's so cold out now).

#7 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Brewed a Rye Saison Friday, Duss Alt today. 5g batches. Saison should finish in time for another brew next weekend. Liking the 3711, my second batch with this yeast.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Brewed a Rye Saison Friday, Duss Alt today. 5g batches. Saison should finish in time for another brew next weekend. Liking the 3711, my second batch with this yeast.

Have a 3711 batch on tap now. A lot less trouble than that ####ing Dupont strain and I'm just as happy with it.

#9 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

First brew at my new house.I just brewed a black IPA or whatever you want to call the style :-) Pretty simple, no good stories, equipment worked flawlessly, fermenter bubbling happily now. Finally feeling comfortable with the RIMS tube setup after about 8 brews and really like the 1 degree control I'm getting in the mash tun. Getting to mashout temps in a decent time still takes some direct heat from the burner below however.

#10 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Mine went off without a hitch, hit 1.047 one point off where I was aiming. Went to the neighbors who made scratch carnitas, mole, chile and salsa, much to my pleasure. I wanted to help and then clean up, but he told me he knew I just spent 8 hours brewing and this is his way of buying the beers he'll have when that brown is on tap. He says he's never had a brown that compares to mine that I re-brewed that he has last time he was over. Hell of a compliment from a guy who is big into beer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users