#41 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

Good stuff. There are a lot of variations out there based on everyone's preferences and what they had in their supply closet. When you see the recipe but then say, I think a hop addition at flameout would be good... you're making that call based on your own tastebuds so it really should work well for everyone who makes it. Very simple recipe that can be made as extract or all-grain and can appeal to many different people. Cheers guys.

I just put it into the rotation. Should get to it sometime in May :)

#42 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Ken,I am impressed with your recipe and wonderful beer creation. My buddy came over tonight to drop off bottles that we are going to counter fill tomorrow evening. We decided to give the beer a shot and each had a small sample. I thought the beer was very balanced. You could taste the Mt Hood and it tasted good and some spiciness with the malt. We used US-05 and had a FG of 1.012. There was not yeast profile but thats fine it gives a nice flavor of the ingredients used. We added a 1oz leaf addition of Mt Hoods at 0 mins and also subbed the Crystal 60 with Crystal 15 and 20. Great recipe and beer. I will look forward to mine when I get it into my rotation. Thanks for sharing Ken.Mike

What temp did you mash at? Both mine with US-05 finished at 1.008....now it is making me wonder if my temps are off...b/c I thought I was mashing at 1.052

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53805 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

I made the beer once with US-05 and it does taste a little drier to me. I think the best example of the beer has been mashed at 152° and then fermented with White Labs 01. I think I would boost the mash temp a little if I were to use US-05 again. I have heard a number of people on various boards talking about the attenuative properties of this yeast and it seems to be pretty well established. I'm not a real big fan of dry yeast although they are better than they used to be. I have US-05 in my fridge strictly for emergencies or those times I want to brew RIGHT NOW and I have no other yeast choice. Cheers.

#44 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

in my previous post....i meant to say mashing at 152

#45 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

MLPA is officially on tap. It could probably use a little more carbonation so I'll let that happen.This beer has drinkability AND taste. Take that budweiser. Sometime I'd like to try it with some Mt. Hood to get it more authentic. I'm probably going to have some Hal. Mittelfruh soon - would this be a good sub?

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53805 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

Memory Lapse with short carb can be a problem because of the 1 hop addition. It doesn't have to be ultra-fizzy, but it can't really be low. Yes, I think that Hallertau Mittelfruh would be great in this beer as I think they would be great anywhere, anytime. For lunch today, I had Hallertau Mittelfruh soup, Hallertau Mittelfruh salad and a Hallertau Mittelfruh sandwich. Oh wait... my dog, Hallertau Mittelfruh, has to go out. :smilielol:

#47 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Memory Lapse with short carb can be a problem because of the 1 hop addition. It doesn't have to be ultra-fizzy, but it can't really be low. Yes, I think that Hallertau Mittelfruh would be great in this beer as I think they would be great anywhere, anytime. For lunch today, I had Hallertau Mittelfruh soup, Hallertau Mittelfruh salad and a Hallertau Mittelfruh sandwich. Oh wait... my dog, Hallertau Mittelfruh, has to go out. :wacko:

I'll report back when it's had a little more time to carb up...

#48 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

A little advice from what I have seen with this brew...Use Ken's suggestion of WLP 001. Unless you like yours really dry. I have brewed 2 batches of this using US-05 and they both wound up at 1.007...

#49 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:48 AM

A little advice from what I have seen with this brew...Use Ken's suggestion of WLP 001. Unless you like yours really dry. I have brewed 2 batches of this using US-05 and they both wound up at 1.007...

I used 1056 which should be pretty similar - I like the results :wacko:

#50 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

I just now racked yet another batch of this beer to secondary. This has been part of my regular rotation since i first brewed it. Gooooooo Ken. LOL.

#51 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53805 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

I just now racked yet another batch of this beer to secondary. This has been part of my regular rotation since i first brewed it. Gooooooo Ken. LOL.

Nice. How many batches of this have you made? I need to get my White Labs 01 fired up so I can make a batch of this & then my Bases Loaded Blonde. Cheers!

#52 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

How many volumes of CO2 are you guys putting into this thing? Right now I think I'm on track to being at about 2.72 when things equalize.

#53 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

How many volumes of CO2 are you guys putting into this thing? Right now I think I'm on track to being at about 2.72 when things equalize.

Around 2.5

#54 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53805 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

I think Carlos asked me this. All I can say is that I chill the beer down to about 36° and then hit it with 30psi for about 48 hours... no shaking, etc. Can you determine volumes of Co2 based on that? Cheers.

#55 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

I have to tell you - now that this has a little more carbonation I can see why it's popular. It's clean but not too boring. While I went slightly higher on the IBUs (30 vs Ken's 24) the hoppiness is just enough for me and wouldn't be offensive to someone who isn't used to hoppier stuff. I used glacier which is probably a little earthier and slightly fruitier than mt. hood. I can definitely see how something a little more similar to a noble german type hop would go really nice in this. I'll definitely be giving this one another go around sometime to try out some different hops. I think cascade would be kind of nice in this as well.

#56 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53805 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

Zym: Good stuff. This beer has been made every which way by a bunch of people which is what it's all about. I think you're right... a noble hop would would awesome here and Mt. Hood is a sort of American version of Hallertau so it makes sense. The 30 IBU you got sounds lovely... I happen to be drinking an English Ale right now that has IBUs in the low 30s and it's delicious. MLPA would be great that way too. As the bottles carb up and the beer smooths out, I think you'll really enjoy the remainder of your batch. Cheers!

#57 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

Zym: Good stuff. This beer has been made every which way by a bunch of people which is what it's all about. I think you're right... a noble hop would would awesome here and Mt. Hood is a sort of American version of Hallertau so it makes sense. The 30 IBU you got sounds lovely... I happen to be drinking an English Ale right now that has IBUs in the low 30s and it's delicious. MLPA would be great that way too. As the bottles carb up and the beer smooths out, I think you'll really enjoy the remainder of your batch. Cheers!

This one is kegged :P

#58 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53805 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

Just a word about making this beer with US-05... I just moved my latest keg of MLPA into my draft fridge and this was the only time I made this beer with US05. It's perfectly acceptable, but it's got a bit of a different profile than with White Labs 01. If you like US05 then by all means, use it. But if you want to know the beer I really fell in love with, make it with White Labs 01 and the 1 addition of Mt. Hoods at 60 (5.2 to 5.5 AAU). This one's good, just not quite as good. Cheers.

#59 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:18 AM

Just a word about making this beer with US-05... I just moved my latest keg of MLPA into my draft fridge and this was the only time I made this beer with US05. It's perfectly acceptable, but it's got a bit of a different profile than with White Labs 01. If you like US05 then by all means, use it. But if you want to know the beer I really fell in love with, make it with White Labs 01 and the 1 addition of Mt. Hoods at 60 (5.2 to 5.5 AAU). This one's good, just not quite as good. Cheers.

So what is the difference in your opinion?

#60 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

I will report back on the US-05 for this one. Thats the only version that I have brewed and so far my friend likes it. Mine will be kegged in the coming weeks. I find US-05 to not really add character so I think the ingredients will shine but I can't get White Labs around here. Will report back though when mine is ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users