#81 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Do you use whirlfloc or something similar? Do you do a cold/cool secondary? These two things make a big difference for me.

Yeah, I use Irish Moss. I didn't do a secondary on this one, as I am wanting to try avoiding a secondary and see if my results are just as good. I'm thinking it might be chill haze, but not sure.Nice brew Ken. Was a little strange for me though initially as I mentioned it had kind of a Miller High Life type taste to it initially, but it has grown character with the keg time and carbonation. Good stuff. I will definitely use this simple recipe to showcase different hop varieties. :rolf:

#82 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, I use Irish Moss. I didn't do a secondary on this one, as I am wanting to try avoiding a secondary and see if my results are just as good. I'm thinking it might be chill haze, but not sure.Nice brew Ken. Was a little strange for me though initially as I mentioned it had kind of a Miller High Life type taste to it initially, but it has grown character with the keg time and carbonation. Good stuff. I will definitely use this simple recipe to showcase different hop varieties. :rolf:

Do you use a wort chiller?

#83 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

Do you use a wort chiller?

Yes, an Immersion chiller. I haven't done the whirlpool thing yet though that Earthtone mentioned in the Hazy beer thread. Imma hafta try that next time I think. :rolf:

#84 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:20 PM

Well, here are a couple of pics. I was hoping that it would have cleared a little since yesterday but no cigar.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#85 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54156 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

As long as it tastes good, that's the first priority. The clarity will come eventually. It starts at the beginning with whrifloc in the kettle, a quick chill, some whirlpooling & settling and then racking from brewpot to primary. The cool secondary with a gel solution is usually the icing in the cake... leave it there for 2-3 weeks and you usually have a very clear beer. Zym... yours is looking very clear. Looking good people!

Cheers.

#86 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:49 AM

As long as it tastes good, that's the first priority. The clarity will come eventually. It starts at the beginning with whrifloc in the kettle, a quick chill, some whirlpooling & settling and then racking from brewpot to primary. The cool secondary with a gel solution is usually the icing in the cake... leave it there for 2-3 weeks and you usually have a very clear beer. Zym... yours is looking very clear. Looking good people!

Cheers.

Pretty clear yes - I actually think it will get a little bit MORE clear though :rolf:

What is this gel solution you speak of?

#87 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54156 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

What is this gel solution you speak of?

It's available at suppliers and some brewers even use unflavored gelatin from the grocery store. Mix it together with cold water, then heat it so the granules dissolve, let it cool and add it to the secondary and rack the beer on top. The gel slowly falls through the column of beer, dragging down all of the suspended matter with it. I think it's mentioned in the HAZY BEER thread too. Works like a charm and I do this on every beer I make. Cheers.

#88 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

As I sit here sipping my MLPA and looking at the other pics here posted I never gave it any thought about the clarity of this beer. Yes I have made plenty of clear beers, especially the lagers that I have brewed but as you can see mine is cloudy. Mine was a 10 gallon batch split with a buddy, we didn't do any whilfloc, we chilled properly and quickly though, and since this was an ale I didn't have any space in my lagering freezer to store it cold for any length of time, so it sat at room temp for a couple of weeks until my previous rye pale keg got kicked. I am happy with this beer. I second Ken, this beer taste great and that is what matters to me. I think though the ideas shared here are good for clarity as well. I need to try the gelatin as I have never used that tactic before either.

#89 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

Just got home from work and opened up my 2nd version i have made of this with Santiam....GOOD GOD THIS IS AWESOME...great hop to use in this I HIGHLY suggest it...nice floral aroma, nice calm bitterness and an almost fruity flavor.My hops schedule was:.5 oz Santiam 5 %AA FWH.6 oz Santiam 60 min

#90 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:20 PM

I've accumulated everything I need for this except for the wheat malt. I'll have that soon and follow the recipe to the letter before I start swapping in all manner of things. From everyone's results/comments, I can't wait!

#91 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54156 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:14 AM

Just got home from work and opened up my 2nd version i have made of this with Santiam....GOOD GOD THIS IS AWESOME...great hop to use in this I HIGHLY suggest it...nice floral aroma, nice calm bitterness and an almost fruity flavor.My hops schedule was:.5 oz Santiam 5 %AA FWH.6 oz Santiam 60 min

Wow, that sounds awesome. I haven't used Santiam in years so maybe I need to get my hands on some and give it a try. Cheers DaBearSox!MyBeerPants... good luck with the recipe and keep us posted.

#92 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

So I have decided to enter the one with the Santiam in the liquid poetry slam competition in Ft. Collins. Although it doesn't hit the description perfectly I guess I will just enter it as an American Pale Ale. I'll post the results when I hear. https://slam.liquidpoets.com/

#93 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

So I have decided to enter the one with the Santiam in the liquid poetry slam competition in Ft. Collins. Although it doesn't hit the description perfectly I guess I will just enter it as an American Pale Ale. I'll post the results when I hear. https://slam.liquidpoets.com/

From what I've read that's a tough category! Good luck!enjoying a MLPA (hopped with 2oz of glacier) right now. This is a mighty tasty beverage. Just the right amount of hops for the maltiness and not too overpowering in any way. I did 1oz of glacier FWH and 1oz 60 min. The apparent IBU was a little under 30. Really top notch. I guess the only other difference is I used a full pound of red wheat instead of 12oz of white. I'm not really sure what the difference between red and white is when it comes to taste.

#94 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

From what I've read that's a tough category! Good luck!enjoying a MLPA (hopped with 2oz of glacier) right now. This is a mighty tasty beverage. Just the right amount of hops for the maltiness and not too overpowering in any way. I did 1oz of glacier FWH and 1oz 60 min. The apparent IBU was a little under 30. Really top notch. I guess the only other difference is I used a full pound of red wheat instead of 12oz of white. I'm not really sure what the difference between red and white is when it comes to taste.

Yea I figured that would be one of the tougher ones. This will be the first comp that I have entered so I am really only looking for some feedback on a few of my brews. Although description wise it seems to be more of an English style pale ale the only thing english I used was a little over a pound of Crisp Medium crystal so I think I am gonna stick with APA.

#95 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

Yea I figured that would be one of the tougher ones. This will be the first comp that I have entered so I am really only looking for some feedback on a few of my brews. Although description wise it seems to be more of an English style pale ale the only thing english I used was a little over a pound of Crisp Medium crystal so I think I am gonna stick with APA.

I think it will do pretty well in the APA category - don't get me wrong there. Assuming you used 1056 or equivalent for yeast I can't imagine it would have that British character. The thing that will help you out is that it will potentially stand out from the usual APA recipes. I have to think the judges would appreciate something that isn't overhopped which I'm guessing they get a lot of.

#96 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:56 PM

It's funny - the more of these I drink the better they taste. I can tell this keg will go fast - better brew some more beer soon! ;)

#97 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

It's funny - the more of these I drink the better they taste. I can tell this keg will go fast - better brew some more beer soon! :P

+10. I wasn't sure about this one when it was young in the keg. But it really gets better with age. It is very good after it gets out of the green stage. ;)

#98 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

+10. I wasn't sure about this one when it was young in the keg. But it really gets better with age. It is very good after it gets out of the green stage. ;)

Yes - I know what you mean. In the early stage it had a taste a little bit like some of my early american amber batches which was slightly weird but not bad. Now it's really evening out and getting fantastic.

#99 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

+1 to all the recent feedbacks on this outstanding beer. This keg of mine is going faster than any of the other 3 and I like them too. I did mine with Mt Hood 60 min addition than an ounce at flameout too. It is very outstanding to say the least.

#100 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54156 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Sounds good gang. I'm sure that all of these variations are slightly different, but excellent. Very glad to hear that the recipe is working for you guys. I have been on a lager kick lately, but I plan to retire a blob of lager yeast sometime in the next week or so and then I'll fire up the White Labs 01 and make some MLPA and probably Bases Loaded Blonde Ale too. Cheers guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users