483 replies to this topic

#61 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:40 AM

So what is the difference in your opinion?

That's tough to say. It seems a bit bland and simple... the White Labs 01 creates a little "deeper" flavor profile to me. I know that doesn't help, but certain yeasts can add to the flavor of a beer and it seems like the US05 contributed nothing special where the WL01 seems to create a "richness" that's not there. Another local brewer made the MLPA with US05 and brought it to a gathering in FEB and I sampled it. It wasn't quite like mine, but I didn't make it... I assumed it could be the water, the process, the choice of grains, etc. But now that I taste mine with US05, it's very similar. I still have some US05 and I think I'll make a very hoppy amber ale with it so the hops take over and the yeast's contribution will be a non-issue anyway. Cheers.

#62 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

Finally getting around to brewing this one next week ...Happy Birthday Ken, and thanks for all your input on the boards over the years!

#63 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

Finally getting around to brewing this one next week ...Happy Birthday Ken, and thanks for all your input on the boards over the years!

Ewanzel: Thanks for the birthday wishes & good luck with the beer! Cheers.

#64 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

Hhhmmm. This one is good. A sip of it from the sample tasted like Miller, wierd. But a bug chug of it tasted a lot better. Strange.. Good, but strange.. :)

#65 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

Ewanzel: Thanks for the birthday wishes & good luck with the beer! Cheers.

Hey ken, Happy belated birthday. I just read this whole thread and it seems this beer is popular where ever it lands. It's tasty too.

#66 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:03 AM

There has been much talk on a thread in the other forum about clearing your beer. This got me thinking about different kinds of high floccor yeasts you could use to clear your beer even more. I got an email a few weeks ago from a brewer here in St. Louis who started using WYeast 1968 London ESB in one of his commercial brews which has recently cleaned his beer up nicely. Since 1968 is a notoriusly clean yeast, how does everyone think it would work in Ken's MLPA?

#67 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

I've made the MLPA with 1968 and it's nice and clear for sure. But high-floccing usually equates to low-attenuating (because the yeast drop out and don't finish) so the MLPA with 1968 came out a little maltier than usual. I think the best thing to do with MLPA with 1968 is maybe mash a little lower and/or bump the 60-minute hop addition to somewhere in the 6 to 6½ AAU range. Many English yeasts are high-floccing and if you're already doing things to get clear beer, you'll get even clearer beer with these yeasts. 1968 flocs like a MOFO (did anyone see the video I took of a 1968 yeast cake? Holy smokes) and produces very clear beer and the flavor profile is beautiful. The problem is that I keep finding new favorite English ale strains... 1099, 1098, 1968, 1028, White Labs 023 Burton, etc. Cheers!

#68 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

I've got some 1272 in a starter right now that I'm going to use tomorrow night in a Schlafly Pale Ale clone. Have never used this yeast before but I'm going to ferment cool (62-63 degrees) for an attempt at a cleaner profile.

#69 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

I just transferred my MLPA from secondary to keg and turned on the gas this evening. Planning to carb at 2.5 as posted earlier. While it was transferring I couldn't help but look at the clarity and it looked good. I brewed mine with US-05 and I can see how other yeast add a lot of flavor to this beer as well. I will report back but this looked nice and clear and it tasted good too. Will post by early next week once I got this beer carbed up. Might even post a pic of a pint so you can see the color of mine. I used 15L and 20L crystal. Should be good though!!Mike

#70 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

Finally going to brew this one up. My starter of 001 is not taking off like I hoped so I think I will be trying this with some 1026. Think I will mash in the 150-152 range seeing the yeast will leave the beer a bit more malty. Placing an order today for some 001 so I can do a side by side.

#71 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:32 AM

Finally going to brew this one up. My starter of 001 is not taking off like I hoped so I think I will be trying this with some 1026. Think I will mash in the 150-152 range seeing the yeast will leave the beer a bit more malty. Placing an order today for some 001 so I can do a side by side.

Hey Drez... there's no way this beer could come out bad with 1026 (that's Cask Ale, right?). It should be clear & malty. But watch out for that malty part because this beer is short on hops in the first place... if it's too malty or the yeast is less attenuative, you could have a beer that's slightly too malty, IMO. Either hold off on the WLP001 starter or maybe just add more hops (at the beginning or whenever you see fit) to keep everything in line. Good luck with it & have fun. Cheers.

#72 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

Opened up one with FWH and flavor additions with Mt. Rainiers.....really really good...gave one to a friend and he said "This is one delicious beer"success...Now give a week or 2 with the same recipe but Santiams and we'll see which is better.

#73 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

Opened up one with FWH and flavor additions with Mt. Rainiers.....really really good...

gave one to a friend and he said "This is one delicious beer"

success...

Now give a week or 2 with the same recipe but Santiams and we'll see which is better.

That sounds good. It's always good when a buddy says, "this is one delicious beer". Maybe that will be the tagline for the commercials I start to produce... Mayfair Court's Memory Lapse Pale Ale... This is one delicious beer! :P Cheers!

#74 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:25 AM

Did this up last night. The 001 starter ended up being okay. OG came out a little low but that is OK ... color was great going into the fermenter and smelled awesome too .. Cannot wait to get this one on tap.

#75 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

Well Ken. I put your MLPA officially on tap last night and I think its an outstanding beer. Granted I brewed mine with US-05 and there is no yeast character I really like this recipe. It is very flavorful for sure. The only ingredient I changed is used Crystal 15L and 20L. I attached a picture below just to give you an idea of what my version turned out. Carbed to 2.5 volumes as suggested. My buddy and his wife really like it as well. Thanks for sharing, its a nice beer this time of year around here. It will go quickly.

Posted Image

#76 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

This reminds me I should snap a shot of this next time I pour a pint!

#77 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

Ncbeerbrewer: Nice. That beer has a little more color than I would expect with only 15°L and 20°L in there. Nice looking beer and check out the head on that sucker. Well done.

#78 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

A little blurry but you can get the idea:[mod edit - image removed]

#79 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

I really need to work on the clarity of my kegged brews. I'll have to post up a pic of a pint of mine when I get back home this evening. Nowhere near as clear I don't think.

#80 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

I really need to work on the clarity of my kegged brews. I'll have to post up a pic of a pint of mine when I get back home this evening. Nowhere near as clear I don't think.

Do you use whirlfloc or something similar? Do you do a cold/cool secondary? These two things make a big difference for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users