#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

Ka-Ching!

True that. Unfortunately it will be a little while before this one gets served up. Hopefully in a month or two :unsure:

#22 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31540 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

So imma make this tomorrow. How would Columbus hops do with this? I've never used Columbus, and I have 2oz of them right now.

#23 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

Damn right. Bring the 'Hood back to the hood. You know, I have never done it, but dry hopping with Mt. Hood sounds like it would be really nice. Can you see dry hopping with Mt. Hood pellets? I don't usually have whole/leaf hops around. Cheers.

Honestly i've only ever dry hopped with pellets, put them in near the end of primary or rack onto them in secondary, they will settle out fairly quickly, just be judicious with the racking cane so as not to disturb the sediment and you are golden.

#24 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

This beer is quite good with the Mt. Hood but any sub will yield a result that showcases the hop you pick. I think columbus would be fine but try to stick to the 5-5.5 AAUs that Ken uses in his initial recipe. I feel that this beer is really well balanced as posted so if you are going to sub maybe use 5.5 AAUs columbus bittering and if you want a little aroma in there then dry hop with what's left.

#25 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:49 AM

This beer is quite good with the Mt. Hood but any sub will yield a result that showcases the hop you pick. I think columbus would be fine but try to stick to the 5-5.5 AAUs that Ken uses in his initial recipe. I feel that this beer is really well balanced as posted so if you are going to sub maybe use 5.5 AAUs columbus bittering and if you want a little aroma in there then dry hop with what's left.

Why mess with a good thing right? :devil:I actually upped my IBUs a little bit compared to Ken but I also upped the malt a little so hopefully it will all even out. I hate ordering non-integer amounts of grain b/c Austin charges a slightly higher rate for them.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

On the GB, someone asked about making this beer with the same balance but at 6% instead of the normal 4+, close to 5. If you go with 9¼ lbs of base malt, the specialty grains and then between 6.8 and 7 AAUs of hops, you get the same balance at 6%. I agree with ET that whatever hop you use here is probably fine as long as you like the hop. Since there are no flavor or aroma additions, it's not going to be in your face anyway. I just read about Columbus having a really nice, smooth bittering ability while still being higher AA%. If you like Columbus, try using 5½ or 6 AAUs for 60 and see what you think. I'm thinking it's only going to be about a half-ounce since they usually run 12+... correct? Actually, I think I had some at 9% at one point. Cheers.

#27 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31540 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

I brewed this up yesterday. It seems to be slightly lighter in color than I expected, I used Crystal 20, should I have used the Crystal 40 instead?I got the Mt Hood by the way :devil:Here is a linky to the Promash report.

Edited by badogg, 12 April 2009 - 11:00 AM.

#28 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

the recipe calls for crystal 60, so anything lighter than that will yield a lighter final SRM dude.

#29 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31540 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

the recipe calls for crystal 60, so anything lighter than that will yield a lighter final SRM dude.

Doh! I totally missed the 60L on the front page when I wrote it down on the way out the door to the LHBS. :rolf: I swear, I gotta start paying more attention to things these days. Too much going on lately. :devil:

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

It will be fine. It will be a little lighter in color which will work nicely for the warmer weather. Next time, make it with the 60°L and then you can compare the two.

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

So Ken,Should I expect this to be a crisp and refreshing kind of drink? I've got a different pale ale right now that despite being very hoppy, everyone that tries it is like woah, that's crisp and refreshing! I'm finding I really like this for post yard work type drinking.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

So Ken,Should I expect this to be a crisp and refreshing kind of drink? I've got a different pale ale right now that despite being very hoppy, everyone that tries it is like woah, that's crisp and refreshing! I'm finding I really like this for post yard work type drinking.

Refreshing... absolutely. Crisp? It depends on what your definition of "crisp" is. I would call it balanced and refreshing and I might save "crisp" for something that has late hops added. I think the one addition of Mt. Hoods bitters this beer perfectly so I would go with "balanced". The only issue with this beer is if you serve it with low carbonation... it tends to taste too malty. Some of the bottles I have (bottled from a keg with a cobra tap) taste a little low on hops because carbonation usually emphasizes the hop character of the beer. I've got a keg of it that will fill a draft-fridge vacancy in a few days. Cheers.

#33 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Refreshing... absolutely. Crisp? It depends on what your definition of "crisp" is. I would call it balanced and refreshing and I might save "crisp" for something that has late hops added. I think the one addition of Mt. Hoods bitters this beer perfectly so I would go with "balanced". The only issue with this beer is if you serve it with low carbonation... it tends to taste too malty. Some of the bottles I have (bottled from a keg with a cobra tap) taste a little low on hops because carbonation usually emphasizes the hop character of the beer. I've got a keg of it that will fill a draft-fridge vacancy in a few days. Cheers.

I guess by crisp I'm kind of referring to dryness.

#34 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

By the end of the week I should be getting a taste of your MLPA Ken. I am carbing up my buddies share to bottle for next weekend. I am looking forward to it. It should be a fine fine beer.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

I guess by crisp I'm kind of referring to dryness.

US-05 would make it drier than 1056 or WLP001 because it seems to attenuate better. Also, it would depend on where you mashed it. If you mashed it 148-150°, it would be drier. Most of my mash temps for this beer end up right around 152° which adds a little more body and probably makes it a little maltier.NCbeerbrewer... keep me posted. I hope it comes out tasty. Cheers!

#36 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

US-05 would make it drier than 1056 or WLP001 because it seems to attenuate better. Also, it would depend on where you mashed it. If you mashed it 148-150°, it would be drier. Most of my mash temps for this beer end up right around 152° which adds a little more body and probably makes it a little maltier.NCbeerbrewer... keep me posted. I hope it comes out tasty. Cheers!

agreed...I made 2 versions of this the past few weeks both with US-05 they both wound up at about 1.008...My first batch I think I didn't stir my mash well enough and started with 1.047 second started at 1.052...the grain bills were upped a little as I like a little more alcohol in my brew than Ken...haI also love the idea of using a single hop...I made the first batch with Mt. Rainier and the 2nd with Santiam....I like it so much that I just brewed up a Red on sunday with only Mt. Rainiers. Now I will have an idea of these newer hops.I bottled the first batch last friday and the sample tasted great...i can't wait to try my version carbed...

#37 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

Ken,I am impressed with your recipe and wonderful beer creation. My buddy came over tonight to drop off bottles that we are going to counter fill tomorrow evening. We decided to give the beer a shot and each had a small sample. I thought the beer was very balanced. You could taste the Mt Hood and it tasted good and some spiciness with the malt. We used US-05 and had a FG of 1.012. There was not yeast profile but thats fine it gives a nice flavor of the ingredients used. We added a 1oz leaf addition of Mt Hoods at 0 mins and also subbed the Crystal 60 with Crystal 15 and 20. Great recipe and beer. I will look forward to mine when I get it into my rotation. Thanks for sharing Ken.Mike

#38 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

ive yet to hear anybody who doesnt like this brew.

#39 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

ive yet to hear anybody who doesnt like this brew.

from the reipe alone, i can'r see why anyone would hate it, it's very balanced IMO, there's no over the top or meh to it's recipication.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

Good stuff. There are a lot of variations out there based on everyone's preferences and what they had in their supply closet. When you see the recipe but then say, I think a hop addition at flameout would be good... you're making that call based on your own tastebuds so it really should work well for everyone who makes it. Very simple recipe that can be made as extract or all-grain and can appeal to many different people. Cheers guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users