483 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

You guys already know that I'm not into 10% beers, Belgian Trippels or Imperial Stouts and IPAs. My beers are pretty wimpy by homebrewing standards. But here is a beer I have made 15-20 times and is something I like to have on hand at all times. It's about as simple as it gets, but it can appeal to BMC drinkers and beersnobs at the same time. I have taken a 1st place with this recipe and a number of people on various boards have made this recipe and said things like "What a delicious bottle of beer!". Here goes...

Memory Lapse Pale Ale

7.25 lbs American Pale Malt
1 lb Crystal 60°L
12 oz Malted Wheat
1 oz Mt. Hood pellets 5.2% to 5.5% for 60 minutes

White Labs 01 California Ale Yeast

OG: 1.048, FG: 1.012, IBU: 24, SRM: 10, ABV: 4.8%

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Here is my adapted version that is fermenting right now:8lb 2-row1lb crystal 60L1lb red wheat60 min mash at 152F1oz FWH Glacier (6% AA)1oz 60 min Glacier (6% AA)"Apparent" Estimated IBU = 29.62Estimated SRM = 10Fermenting 62-66F with Wyeast 1056

#3 MX1

MX1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

Here is the Pale that I am about to brew up as soon as I can get more than 1 day off at a time.

Paradise Pale Ale

8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt (toast 2 lbs in oven at 275F for 30 min)
1 lbs Crystal Malt 40°L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes

.75 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min

1.0 ea Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min

1.0 ea Fermentis US-56 Safale US-56

Schedule:
Mash @ 153 60 mins

#4 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

ok so this beer is badass, to requote myself from the quote on ken's blog:"Also Earthtone from the brewboard (err...brew-bros) said, "What a delicious bottle of beer!""Make this one! You'll like it :)Good to see your flagship up on here ken, and you as well!

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

Hey ET: Good to see you over here, Bro. Cheers. :smilielol:

#6 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

mine is carbing up very nicely... something tells me with baseball around the corner and warm weather quickly approaching this will have to be made soon again.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

Ken. This beer is great. I am going to condition it for a week then carb it up for a week for my buddy but let me 5 gallons age for a few weeks at least. FG= 1.012 with US-05. Tasted the gravity check sample and it was nice, had a spicy hop aftertaste. I can't wait to get this one carbed and on tap. Thanks again. I will post a pic once its ready to serve since I used 15L and 20L Crystal instead of the 60L.

#8 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3584 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Ken,I always love your beer pron, they always make me thirsty and give me inspiration to brew the lighter easier drinking beers that are often overlooked in the rotation.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

Thanks gang. This is definitely an easy drinker. I was talking to chuck_d via email last week and he said... Boy, you got the “easy drinking, session beer, damn this tastes good let’s drink more of it” down right. I couldn't say it better myself. I like to have beer on tap that is satisfying, relatively easy-drinking, refreshing and balanced. The type of beer where you tap a glass, take a sip, take another sip and a few more sips and all of a sudden... empty glass. Time to go get another one!

:smilielol: Cheers guys.

#10 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

most important part... what doyou carb this up too....?im at 2.4volits damn good... sippin on some right now. its not clear still gots to cold crash longer... but damn it i know ima have a few more before the day is thru

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Carlos: I don't really adjust carb levels unless I'm making an English Pale Ale or an Ordinary Bitter or something, in which case I would go a little less. Otherwise, all other beers get sent to the 35° spare fridge to get them cold and then they get 30psi for 48 hours and eventually hit the draft fridge. Can you determine a volume based on that? Glad you like it... it's sexy-ass recipe, you know. :rolf: :devil:

#12 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

Just ordered the ingredients for this one. I'm excited!This will be the first batch ever where I'll only have one hop addition.

#13 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Ken (or anyone else)....any experiences with dry-hopping the MLPA? If yes, which hop did you use?

#14 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

I was considering dry hopping this bad boy myself. Id figure keep it in the family and use Mt. Hood all around.An aromatic variety derived from Hallertau with a refined, spicy aroma and clean bittering. A good choice for lagers. (alpha acid: 4.0-6.0% / beta acid: 5.0-7.5%)i think its weird Mt. Hood is suited so well in this brew since it is most commonly used as a lager hop. I stayed away from it til this brew and a few cream ales. But now I am a firm believer of bringing the "Hood" back in to the neighborhood of Ales.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

Damn right. Bring the 'Hood back to the hood. You know, I have never done it, but dry hopping with Mt. Hood sounds like it would be really nice. Can you see dry hopping with Mt. Hood pellets? I don't usually have whole/leaf hops around. Cheers.

#16 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

Damn right. Bring the 'Hood back to the hood. You know, I have never done it, but dry hopping with Mt. Hood sounds like it would be really nice. Can you see dry hopping with Mt. Hood pellets? I don't usually have whole/leaf hops around. Cheers.

yea thats what i have left. no more whole hops, thats why i have been a little hesitant of udry hopping it.

i had 2 20oz pints today so far.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

I think that means you had 2 Imperial pints of MLPA today. Nice. I have some in a keg that I made with US05, but it's in my spare fridge... not the draft fridge. I think I'll have to bust it out soon. Cheers!

#18 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

I thought about perhaps dry-hopping with Simcoe or Cascade....

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

Primary is over - secondary has begun. Already looks pretty clear and smells great!

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

Ka-Ching!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users