#61 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

Wouldn't this be basically a Braggot? I think Braggot is Mead/Ale mixed, isn't that essentially what they made?

The Bitches Brew was blended after fermentation, 1/4 Tej and 3/4 Imperial Stout. I've seen different interpretations whether that is a Braggot or not!Jim

#62 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26756 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

It's a show about beer. Still more interesting than a lot of crap on TV. I'll watch a few more episodes at least, if it doesn't keep my interest I'll stop recording it. Still cool to see exposure of craft beer on TV like that though.

And Beer Advocate is a magazine about beer. It's more interesting than most of the crap on news stands.I subscribed to Beer Advocate for a couple years, then lost interest.This show could also have the same fate.

#63 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12561 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

And Beer Advocate is a magazine about beer. It's more interesting than most of the crap on news stands.I subscribed to Beer Advocate for a couple years, then lost interest.This show could also have the same fate.

I agree, it's just so many people seem very critical of this show. And to each their own, everyone has an opinion. You just don't see a show based on the hobby that we all love on a major television network too often.

#64 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11039 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

the problem is home brewers are too small a base of people. So the kind of show that we would want like having Sam show us how he formulates a recipe, brewing techniques, technical stats on the beer process etc etc etc will be lost on the mainstream viewer. Show what you get is a show about beer, but more about people than the brewing process. I missed the show and will miss most of the re-runs. I saw clips on Discovery.com and this show is about what I would expect. I agree it's a show about beer so I'd watch it but it is not a technical show about beer.

#65 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31759 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

Although BJCP doesn't explicitly describe percentages of fermentables for braggots, they do say "Products with a relatively low proportion of honey should be entered in the Specialty Beer category as a Honey Beer." I would argue that 25/75 isn't enough to fall into a braggot classification.

I love words like "relatively" in classifications. Basically, leaving it up to the individual. lolAs for the show, I liked it. As for Sams equipment, I would LOVE to have that Grain Mill. Did you see that thing chewing up that grain? :cheers:

#66 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12561 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

As for Sams equipment, I would LOVE to have that Grain Mill. Did you see that thing chewing up that grain? :cheers:

Yeah, could you imagine putting 50# of Crystal in a batch? :cheers:

#67 DgNt

DgNt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg, FL

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

I liked it. The first episode of "Brew Masters" detailed Dogfish Head's collaboration with Sony Music to create a brew to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the release of Miles Davis' album "Bitches Brew". They came up with a fusion of Ethopian tej (a sort of honey wine or mead flavored with gesho leaves and twigs) with an Imperial Stout. I thought it was interesting and fun to watch.Jim

That's ironic.... From elementary school: Sony Music is to the music industry what Anheuser Busch/Inbev is to the _______ industry."That said, I still hope to catch an episode... no cable/satellite here. Have to prioritize and until I have fulfilled my homebrewing equipment wishlist there is no money in the budget for paid programing.

#68 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16603 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:31 AM

I agree, it's just so many people seem very critical of this show. And to each their own, everyone has an opinion. You just don't see a show based on the hobby that we all love on a major television network too often.

+1. Thats the thing. Craft beer drinkers are or can be very critical. So being critical over a show about craft beer doesn't surprise me. But as you said Brian, were lucky to have a show about craft beer therefore we should embrace it as best as we can.

#69 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

That's ironic.... From elementary school: Sony Music is to the music industry what Anheuser Busch/Inbev is to the _______ industry."

not sure why some -1ed you for that. evened you out - I thought the same thing :cheers:

#70 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Craft beer drinkers are or can be very critical. So being critical over a show about craft beer doesn't surprise me. But as you said Brian, were lucky to have a show about craft beer therefore we should embrace it as best as we can.

The next show(sunday)is in Peru,chewing corn and spitting.He admits they would not make a beer like that.I already heard it from several Non-brewers about how there spitting in there beer on the preview.It gets people talking about it,just not creating craft brew interest.Maybe im off base.My2cents.

Edited by Kegdude, 25 November 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#71 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

Too bad I don't have cable...I actually really need a pre-screening of this show...I had about 6-7 people come into the store this week asking for bitches brew...I hope the distributor still has some in the warehouse...

#72 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26756 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

That's ironic.... From elementary school: Sony Music is to the music industry what Anheuser Busch/Inbev is to the _______ industry."

Sony Music has it's genisis as Columbia and Epic records.Columbia, the label that brought you Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Earth Wind & Fire, later Pink Floyd, Miles Davis, Micheal Jackson, a respectable classical catalog, a respectabel jazz catalog, a respectable county/western catalog.Today they keep a pretty strong cross of artists and styles.I wouldn't accuse them of being making Bud and Bud Lite music.

#73 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:46 AM

That's such bullshit.Sony has incredible artists that are the musical equivalent to craft beer. Here is a small list:Alice in ChainsAlkaline TrioAnti-FlagBob DylanBruce SpringsteenJohnny CashKornOzzy OsbourneRage Against The MachineSantanaSystem of a DownThe Strokeshttps://en.wikipedia...y_Music_artists

Sony Music has it's genisis as Columbia and Epic records.Columbia, the label that brought you Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Earth Wind & Fire, later Pink Floyd, Miles Davis, Micheal Jackson, a respectable classical catalog, a respectabel jazz catalog, a respectable county/western catalog.Today they keep a pretty strong cross of artists and styles.I wouldn't accuse them of being making Bud and Bud Lite music.

I think both of you guys are confusing the product with the business tactics. Both Bud and Sony are some of the big players and don't want their business to go to the micro scale.

#74 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

Anyone else think it was ironic that Blue Moon was one of the sponsors of this show?Jim

#75 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

Found this short article on the show and some insight on where it headed too. Linky

#76 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:26 AM

Found this short article on the show and some insight on where it headed too. Linky

isn't tongue in cheek stuff supposed to be funny? he's obviously been reading some homebrew boards :lol:

#77 DgNt

DgNt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg, FL

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

I think both of you guys are confusing the product with the business tactics. Both Bud and Sony are some of the big players and don't want their business to go to the micro scale.

That's the intent of my analogy. Sony is still pretty corporate and will pump out whatever the masses eat up whether good or not. Plus, a lot of the catalog was bought and not organic. DFH is more like Sun Records back in the day... certainly not a Sony (yet).I don't fault success and don't hate the dog at the top. Just found it a little ironic.

#78 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

I don't fault success and don't hate the dog at the top. Just found it a little ironic.

me neither - I have no problem having a bud or 2. :lol:

#79 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16603 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

I have no problem having a bud or 2. :facepalm:

You just lost man card points and dropped a few rungs down the ladder pal.

#80 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

You just lost man card points and dropped a few rungs down the ladder pal.

I'm fine accepting a product for what it is. Fortunately my man card already had infinite points on it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users