#1 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26756 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

June 30, 2010It was announced today that Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Delaware, will be starring, along with Patrick McGovern from the University of Pennsylvania, in a new series on the Discovery Channel this fall. The show will be called BREWED.Below is a portion of the press release.

Beer is the drink of the masses. If you look into a glass of beer you can see the past, present and future of mankind. Cicero lauded it, Genghis Khan fought for it and now Discovery Channel celebrates it with a world premiere series, BREWED, exploring the culture, history and variety of beer.Meet Sam Calagione: maverick entrepreneur, family man and owner of Dogfish Head Brewery in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. As an ambassador to the world of craft beer, Sam travels the world to experience what every culture brings to its own special brew.In BREWED, Sam shows viewers the other side of the bottle, sharing the stories of beer sub-cultures as well as exploring life inside The Dogfish Head Brewery. BREWED goes behind the scenes at Dogfish Head as Sam’s merry band of creative brewmasters concoct new taste varieties.“BREWED taps more than just kegs and barrels, it unlocks a fascinating history of beer making, showcasing the ingenuity and passion behind our love affair with those alluring suds and how it played a role in building civilizations,” said Clark Bunting, President and General Manager of Discovery Channel.Running a successful business also requires inspiration, so BREWED hits the road for the ultimate beer tasting road trip. Along with archeologist and beer expert Pat McGovern, Sam sets out to recreate “ancient ales” that have been discovered at sites around the world from Egypt to Peru. He travels to Rome to research old world Italian beers as inspiration for a new site in New York with Mario Batali. A visit to New Zealand introduces the idea of making the “first tomato based beer.” And back home, Sam is tasked to come up with a commemorative beer called “Bitches Brew” to celebrate the 40th anniversary release of Miles Davis’ famous recording.“Beer has always been my passion. It is so much more than what you see in the glass. I’m excited to share the diligence, daring and creativity that we pour into our work,” said Calagione.

Little more on this link.

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48610 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Sweet!

#3 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64945 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

I'll definitely be checking that out. Any idea when it starts airing?

#4 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

I may be in the minority, but I can't stand Sam Calagione. He makes decent beer and all, but I can't get past his db personality. He seems very full of himself from what I've seen on TV and in beer wars. That said, I'll probably still check out the show.

#5 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

I've met Sam a few times and while he certainly does talk a lot and talk up his company, I think he's got the beer to back it up. I'm a big fan of his books, and DFH in general. Also a huge Discovery Channel nerd so naturally, I'm pretty effin' excited about this one.

#6 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64945 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

I've never heard the man speak, so I guess I'm not contaminated yet.

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48610 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

I may be in the minority, but I can't stand Sam Calagione. He makes decent beer and all, but I can't get past his db personality. He seems very full of himself from what I've seen on TV and in beer wars. That said, I'll probably still check out the show.

Not having met the man personally, just based on his public personality I tend to agree with you. Really cocky, kind of frat-boy-who-never-grew-up attitude.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

Not having met the man personally, just based on his public personality I tend to agree with you. Really cocky, kind of frat-boy-who-never-grew-up attitude.

I'm with you guys. Personally he may be a great guy but his public persona isn't my favorite.

#9 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

I was on a pub crawl (Iron Liver tour at the NHC 2009) and Sam was one of the attendees. He was really cool and just went along just like everyone else. Russian River was one of our stops and he wanted to see how Vinnie was using the old DFH system at the RR production facility. I got the chance to talk to him a little (mostly just Hi and "I like your beer") and even took a picture with him and he was a nice enough guy.With that said, I think he is a remarkable salesman. The guy can sell his beer and he has figured out a niche for his company in a crowded beer market. It may be that for some people his schtick just wears thin.If you get a chance check out this article, which seems to put him at odds with the brewer from Brooklyn Brewery.https://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_bilger

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

I was on a pub crawl (Iron Liver tour at the NHC 2009) and Sam was one of the attendees. He was really cool and just went along just like everyone else. Russian River was one of our stops and he wanted to see how Vinnie was using the old DFH system at the RR production facility. I got the chance to talk to him a little (mostly just Hi and "I like your beer") and even took a picture with him and he was a nice enough guy.With that said, I think he is a remarkable salesman. The guy can sell his beer and he has figured out a niche for his company in a crowded beer market. It may be that for some people his schtick just wears thin.If you get a chance check out this article, which seems to put him at odds with the brewer from Brooklyn Brewery.https://www.newyorke...4fa_fact_bilger

10 pages! tldr!

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

10 pages! tldr!

okay I can't help but read...

#12 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31759 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

I was on a pub crawl (Iron Liver tour at the NHC 2009) and Sam was one of the attendees. He was really cool and just went along just like everyone else. Russian River was one of our stops and he wanted to see how Vinnie was using the old DFH system at the RR production facility. I got the chance to talk to him a little (mostly just Hi and "I like your beer") and even took a picture with him and he was a nice enough guy.With that said, I think he is a remarkable salesman. The guy can sell his beer and he has figured out a niche for his company in a crowded beer market. It may be that for some people his schtick just wears thin.If you get a chance check out this article, which seems to put him at odds with the brewer from Brooklyn Brewery.https://www.newyorke...4fa_fact_bilger

Yep, I've seen the DFH system at the RR facility. Kind of amazing how much big equipment can be crammed into a seemingly small area. :rolleyes:Vinnie IS a very nice guy and is VERY supportive of home brewers. :cheers:

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

I think we read this article and hashed this out on the old Tablero Verde. I know that there was another thread that this sprouted from... just can't find it right now.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:49 AM

haha - the brewer at orval likes bud. A lot of people that are green to craft beer like to say how gross bud is. I usually tell them I think regular bud (aka - not bud lite) is pretty good.

#15 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

thanks for posting this.Sam does come across a little arrogant,like others have said he does make some great beers.If anyone sees it coming on definitely shout it out.I will watch it for sure. :D

#16 beerturtle

beerturtle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationThe 717

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

THink this show may be called "Brewmasters" (?) Starts in about 3 weeks (nov 21 or so).

#17 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15546 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:29 AM

THink this show may be called "Brewmasters" (?) Starts in about 3 weeks (nov 21 or so).

Yup, that seems right to me.On one hand, I keep thinking "damn, they'll make a reality show about anything these days." On the other hand, I look forward to just about anything featuring beer on TV and look forward to watching.

#18 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:51 AM

it's called brew masters. i think "brewed" may have been an early name for the show, but they are currently advertising it as brew masters.https://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/programs/Brew_Masters/

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

Sweet! Fermented!

FTFY :cheers:

#20 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64945 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

In general, brewing beer is pretty boring. I can't believe they can make a show out of it that would appeal to any significant quantity of people. Heck, I'm a beer geek and a homebrewer and I doubt I'll even watch it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users