#41 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:38 AM

I liked it. The first episode of "Brew Masters" detailed Dogfish Head's collaboration with Sony Music to create a brew to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the release of Miles Davis' album "Bitches Brew". They came up with a fusion of Ethopian tej (a sort of honey wine or mead flavored with gesho leaves and twigs) with an Imperial Stout. I thought it was interesting and fun to watch.Jim

+1

+1I think a lot of people just have a tendency to hate on anyone successful and charismatic. More power to Sam. He's managed to live the American Dream without compromise. I only hope to be half as successful someday.

+1Much enjoyed for sure. I liked the show. It was fun to see the behind the scenes making of this beer that I had read about earlier. Look forward to next week as well. Its great to see a show dedicated to beer for an entire hour DFH or not. I too can only hope to be half as successful as Sam in my venture too. Heres to next week's show!! :unsure:

#42 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:30 AM

I liked most of the show,it may have educated some of the BMC crowd.Interesting to me was the melting of the finished beers together.I plan on watching the next episode. :unsure:

#43 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16603 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:56 AM

I enjoyed it. Sam is the Man. His passion and use of non traditional ingredients makes him a radical. And I love creativity. Which means I love radical beers. He hasnt lost his roots proven by the beater 69" Dodge Powerwagon. Plus the dude can rap!

"First came jazz. Then came rock. I'm sweet like sugar. You're bitter like a hop"

:unsure:

#44 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31759 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

I liked it. The first episode of "Brew Masters" detailed Dogfish Head's collaboration with Sony Music to create a brew to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the release of Miles Davis' album "Bitches Brew". They came up with a fusion of Ethopian tej (a sort of honey wine or mead flavored with gesho leaves and twigs) with an Imperial Stout. I thought it was interesting and fun to watch.Jim

Wouldn't this be basically a Braggot? I think Braggot is Mead/Ale mixed, isn't that essentially what they made?I'm going up to Bevmo tonight to pick up a bottle of this. :unsure:

#45 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

A challenge you say!!! :unsure:

im up for it. you buying? :sarcasm:

#46 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:54 AM

Watched it yesterday. I liked it. Will watch again.

#47 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:57 AM

im up for it. you buying? :sarcasm:

if we go dutch on it I'll join you in the challenge!

#48 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:05 AM

Watched it yesterday. I liked it. Will watch again.

I saw the 2nd half. Wasn't bad but I really don't want to see sam "rap" again. That was cringe inducing.

#49 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

if we go dutch on it I'll join you in the challenge!

works for me! :sarcasm: I watched the Bitch's Brew episode and I liked it. Very interesting to see how things are done on a much larger scale than home brewing. Ill tune in again.

#50 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:37 AM

works for me! :sarcasm:

so when are you coming to NH? :sarcasm:

#51 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26756 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:39 AM

I saw the 2nd half. Wasn't bad but I really don't want to see sam "rap" again. That was cringe inducing.

+1 That rap is painfully cutesty-wootsie.There is something about Sam Caligione that I find consciously mannered. He works hard to come across as a of bumbling regular guy, but he isn't. "He look at me! I am just some guy who brews beer." He revels in his celebrewty alot more than he says.

#52 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:54 AM

I think it's a lose/lose situation for Sam with most of you guys. Sure, he tries to act like a regular guy. Is it genuine? Guess only he knows. But if he acted like one of us elitist bastards, you'd hate him for that too. Not a big deal though...dude is rich and in the media, so he puts himself out there to be 'judged'.I don't overly love the guy, nor overly hate the guy. I think what he's done/doing in the craft brew industry is great though.

#53 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:05 AM

+1 That rap is painfully cutesty-wootsie.There is something about Sam Caligione that I find consciously mannered. He works hard to come across as a of bumbling regular guy, but he isn't. "He look at me! I am just some guy who brews beer." He revels in his celebrewty alot more than he says.

that's a perfect description.

#54 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48610 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

Not too bad. I suspect it will become one of those shows that sits on my DVR and I watch whenever I can't find something else interesting...

#55 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

It was a pretty dumb pilot. Reminded me of Ace of Cakes, except less personality and more boring. And the obvious fabrication of pseudo-excitement about debuting a new beer and getting a chunk of metal lost in one of the bottles was likewise not very exciting. I won't bother watching the rest of the season. I didn't have any real expectations, but if I did, they wouldn't have been met.

#56 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

It was a pretty dumb pilot. Reminded me of Ace of Cakes, except less personality and more boring. And the obvious fabrication of pseudo-excitement about debuting a new beer and getting a chunk of metal lost in one of the bottles was likewise not very exciting. I won't bother watching the rest of the season. I didn't have any real expectations, but if I did, they wouldn't have been met.

you forgot the massive glue spill!

#57 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

Not too bad. I suspect it will become one of those shows that sits on my DVR and I watch whenever I can't find something else interesting...

this. i watched it last night. it wasn't too bad, but nothing too impressive either.

#58 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12561 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:11 AM

dmtaylor is disappoint! :cheers:It's a show about beer. Still more interesting than a lot of crap on TV. I'll watch a few more episodes at least, if it doesn't keep my interest I'll stop recording it. Still cool to see exposure of craft beer on TV like that though.

#59 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:02 AM

It's a show about beer. Still more interesting than a lot of crap on TV. I'll watch a few more episodes at least, if it doesn't keep my interest I'll stop recording it. Still cool to see exposure of craft beer on TV like that though.

That is a great point. All of us as brewer's need to remember this show is about BEER!!!! How many shows dedicate an hour each week to that topic or craft beer in general?? Sure we all can be technical and didn't learn this or that but take the show for what it is and enjoy it. Its about BEER, if you homebrew and enjoy craft beer how can you not enjoy a show each week about our favorite thing. I agree I hate watching TV most of the shows comedy, movies and such is crap. I will watch each of this episodes and watch reruns too. Nice to see beer on TV and hope others will follow suit as the craftbeer industry continues to thrive. Yea to Sam too he has done the industry a favor for sure.

#60 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

That is a great point. All of us as brewer's need to remember this show is about BEER!!!! How many shows dedicate an hour each week to that topic or craft beer in general?? Sure we all can be technical and didn't learn this or that but take the show for what it is and enjoy it. Its about BEER, if you homebrew and enjoy craft beer how can you not enjoy a show each week about our favorite thing. I agree I hate watching TV most of the shows comedy, movies and such is crap. I will watch each of this episodes and watch reruns too. Nice to see beer on TV and hope others will follow suit as the craftbeer industry continues to thrive. Yea to Sam too he has done the industry a favor for sure.

exactly. if you like homebrew and craftbrew, how can you not like this show? it's better than most of the crap on tv.honestly, i think a lot of it has to do with a whole attitude of "dude, i brew beer too! this dude made it big, therefore i don't like him or his show, even though it is about one of my favorite pasttimes."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users