#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:13 AM

What amperage is required for e-car charging? 100A seems like a lot for that.

That would be two cars at once by today's standards. Not sure what the future will bring.

ETA: with a little head room

Edited by Mando, 05 May 2020 - 04:03 AM.

#42 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:18 AM

Gotcha.  Pull a 100A panel, then.  No reason not to if you're going to do the work.  It's a little more for the wire but not a big deal in the long run.  

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:47 AM

Gotcha.  Pull a 100A panel, then.  No reason not to if you're going to do the work.  It's a little more for the wire but not a big deal in the long run.  

one thing I was thinking (if you look at the layout from earlier in the thread) is why even put a subpanel in the garage?  pretty much anywhere I put that panel in the garage I'd have to then have conduits running all over the place.  one to the brewing area.  another to the opposite side of the garage if I wanted to put a 120V outlet over there.  more to wherever car charging plug ins might be.  my main panel is already essentially adjacent to my garage.  I could also put a subpanel right next to it in the basement and access to the garage is nearly the same as if the subpanel was actually in the garage.

Edited by Mando, 05 May 2020 - 07:47 AM.

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:54 AM

If you look in this picture if I were to drill a hole just behind the insulation above that laser light disco ball that goes right into my garage.  it's not very far from the main panel to get in there.

0428uNu.jpg

I enjoy how the piece of plywood they mounted my main panel on looks like it was cut by me after 10 beers.

#45 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:42 AM

this. 

#46 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:44 AM

If you look in this picture if I were to drill a hole just behind the insulation above that laser light disco ball that goes right into my garage.  it's not very far from the main panel to get in there.

0428uNu.jpg

I enjoy how the piece of plywood they mounted my main panel on looks like it was cut by me after 10 beers.

The electrician probably cut it; looks like After lunch on a Friday or first thing on Monday.  :)

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 05 May 2020 - 08:45 AM.

#47 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

what do you think about placement of a subpanel though?  if it was in the basement I could easily run front to back in the basement along the ceiling and then punch through at a couple of strategic locations into the garage.  it wouldn't really add much in terms of the future runs and I wouldn't have to try to get around some of the stuff in the garage.

just a question - would I want to put spray in insulation around the wires in the holes from the basement to garage to keep critters from sneaking through the garage and into my basement?

Edited by Mando, 05 May 2020 - 09:29 AM.

#48 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:38 AM

The main reason for the subpanel would be to add space for breakers.  If you have room for 3 double breakers in your main panel then I agree that you might as well run the outlets directly from the main panel.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

I've got room for 4 double breakers with a single to spare.  the only other reason for a subpanel i can think of would be that I could make the whole subpanel gfci.  not sure if one big ass gfci is even possible or cheaper than multiple lower amperage rating ones.  I actually couldn't find a 100A gfci breaker but maybe they are out there.

DvebF0D.jpg

Edited by Mando, 05 May 2020 - 09:49 AM.

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:19 AM

I would not make the whole subpanel GFCI.  As said in here, GFCI does not always play nice with everything.  Do outlets GFCI or a single GFCI breaker for your brewery.

#51 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

Another reason for a subpanel would be if the area you wanted multiple outlets was far enough away from the main panel you would only have to run one wire instead of a bunch of multiple ones. But in your case if it's that close then you can just add in outlets as you need them. You will still have conduit running around your garage but maybe less if you can get the wire to come out closer to where you want it. I would run the conduit through the wall a little bit to help seal the hole and use some great stuff or something to help hold it and complete the seal.

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:57 AM

thanks for the advice guys.  I know I'm a real PITA so I appreciate it :cheers:

#53 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:16 PM

Put in the subpanel.  When I did this there was one available that runs the pool equipment with space available for more breakers.  I ended up with one 240v for the EHLT and brew kettle (I only run one at a time) and three 120v for just because. 

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:54 PM

Put in the subpanel.  When I did this there was one available that runs the pool equipment with space available for more breakers.  I ended up with one 240v for the EHLT and brew kettle (I only run one at a time) and three 120v for just because. 

it just seems unlikely I'll need the extra space.

#55 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

it just seems unlikely I'll need the extra space.

I'm sure it does

now

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:05 PM

I'm sure it does

now

just doesn't seem like it will be that hard to add a sub panel in later since I'll likely put it very close to my existing panel.  that's the other thing should it come to that.

#57 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:21 PM

I have three duplex outlets on dedicated circuits for the brew area.  There are days I'm glad all three are there.  Plus that area gets used for other things too

#58 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:16 AM

So Mando, have you put in any thought on how you want your electric system to look like as far as functions? And control panel?

#59 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

So Mando, have you put in any thought on how you want your electric system to look like as far as functions? And control panel?

I need something reliable and easy to make.  I figure I just need a range of close to 0 up to 11 ;)

#60 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 01:55 PM

I need something reliable and easy to make.  I figure I just need a range of close to 0 up to 11 ;)

So no then. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users